Vapers beware

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Vapers beware

Post by the truth »

fyi I did not write the link I just posted it that's all
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

the truth wrote:fyi I did not write the link I just posted it that's all

You really think I believe you wrote "the link"?

I suspect you're trying to use sarcasm to prove a point. It's not valid. "Spreading missinformation" is not "authoring missinformation".

Did you get a chance to read the article I posted? What were your thoughts?
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

Format: AbstractSend to
Clin Auton Res. 2015 Aug;25(4):267-70. doi: 10.1007/s10286-015-0304-z. Epub 2015 Aug 12.
Acute inhalation of vaporized nicotine increases arterial pressure in young non-smokers: a pilot study.
Cooke WH1, Pokhrel A2, Dowling C2, Fogt DL2, Rickards CA3.Author information
Abstract
PURPOSE:
Electronic cigarettes are growing in popularity, but the physiological consequences of vaporized nicotine are unknown.
METHODS:
Twenty healthy non-smokers inhaled vaporized nicotine and placebo (randomized).
RESULTS:
Nicotine inhalation was associated with higher arterial pressures in the seated position, and increased arterial pressures in the head-up positions with no other effects on autonomic control.
CONCLUSIONS:
Our results show that vaporized nicotine inhalation is not innocuous. Longitudinal studies in otherwise healthy non-smokers should be conducted.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

eCollection 2015.
Vapors produced by electronic cigarettes and e-juices with flavorings induce toxicity, oxidative stress, and inflammatory response in lung epithelial cells and in mouse lung.
Lerner CA1, Sundar IK1, Yao H1, Gerloff J1, Ossip DJ2, McIntosh S2, Robinson R3, Rahman I1.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25658421
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

2015 Feb 4;10(2):e0116861. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0116861. eCollection 2015.
Exposure to electronic cigarettes impairs pulmonary anti-bacterial and anti-viral defenses in a mouse model.
Sussan TE1, Gajghate S1, Thimmulappa RK1, Ma J1, Kim JH1, Sudini K1, Consolini N1, Cormier SA2, Lomnicki S3, Hasan F4, Pekosz A5, Biswal S1.
Author information
Abstract
Electronic cigarettes (E-cigs) have experienced sharp increases in popularity over the past five years due to many factors, including aggressive marketing, increased restrictions on conventional cigarettes, and a perception that E-cigs are healthy alternatives to cigarettes. Despite this perception, studies on health effects in humans are extremely limited and in vivo animal models have not been generated. Presently, we determined that E-cig vapor contains 7 x 10(11) free radicals per puff. To determine whether E-cig exposure impacts pulmonary responses in mice, we developed an inhalation chamber for E-cig exposure. Mice that were exposed to E-cig vapor contained serum cotinine concentrations that are comparable to human E-cig users. E-cig exposure for 2 weeks produced a significant increase in oxidative stress and moderate macrophage-mediated inflammation. Since, COPD patients are susceptible to bacterial and viral infections, we tested effects of E-cigs on immune response. Mice that were exposed to E-cig vapor showed significantly impaired pulmonary bacterial clearance, compared to air-exposed mice, following an intranasal infection with Streptococcus pneumonia. This defective bacterial clearance was partially due to reduced phagocytosis by alveolar macrophages from E-cig exposed mice. In response to Influenza A virus infection, E-cig exposed mice displayed increased lung viral titers and enhanced virus-induced illness and mortality. In summary, this study reports a murine model of E-cig exposure and demonstrates that E-cig exposure elicits impaired pulmonary anti-microbial defenses. Hence, E-cig exposure as an alternative to cigarette smoking must be rigorously tested in users for their effects on immune response and susceptibility to bacterial and viral infections.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Interesting articles queen, thanks for posting.

Mostly what I would have expected.

I'm curious, are you under the impression that myself or someone else posting is saying that vaping is risk free or healthy?
youhavegottobekidding
Fledgling

Post by youhavegottobekidding »

All I have to say is that ANYONE that pay $1300 for a purse should go see a shrink....:)
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

TylerM4 wrote:Interesting articles queen, thanks for posting.

Mostly what I would have expected.

I'm curious, are you under the impression that myself or someone else posting is saying that vaping is risk free or healthy?

I have no particular impression of whether anyone thinks they are healthy.
I just posted some information about e-cigs, people will use it to support their own biases whatever they are.
One of the studies commented on the phenomenon of people who do apparently believe that e-cigs are some kind of healthy alternative. I think they are healthy for the bank accounts of those who are selling them.
Are e-cigs any cheaper than the real deal? because one of the downsides of tobacco products is the cost. It seems often people who can least afford them are buying them, while their children go without nourishing food.
Coconut11

Post by Coconut11 »

Return to “Social Concerns”