Sex Toy data too senstive?

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Sex Toy data too senstive?

Post by Barney Google »

Too sensitive? Sex toy maker sued over collection of intimate data

Ottawa-based 'We-Vibe' maker subject of U.S. class-action lawsuit

"A U.S. woman has launched a proposed class-action lawsuit against the Canadian-owned maker of a smartphone-enabled vibrator, alleging the company sells products that secretly collect and transmit "highly sensitive" information.

The Chicago-area woman, identified in a statement of claim only as N.P, is making her complaints against Standard Innovation (US) Corp, which is owned by the Ottawa-based Standard Innovation Corp, over a "high-end" vibrator called the We-Vibe.

The woman's statement of claim says to fully operate the We-Vibe, users download the "We-Connect" app on a smartphone, allowing them and their partners remote control over the vibrator's settings and features."...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/vi ... -1.3761825

...are there no end of uses for a smartphone?

PULL THE PLUG FOLKS IF YOU WANT TO KEEP YOUR PRIVACY!!!!
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
Nasturtium
Board Meister

Re: Sex Toy data too senstive?

Post by Nasturtium »

Yikes!
We leak as rivers
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

Who really cares if she requires the "high" setting and turns it on every night! :up:
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Funny since so many FB & Twitter users post moment by moment goings ons in their lives privacy out the window, whats a little more going to hurt. lol

Personally I don't need or want to know what going on between ???? and your sex toy.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

There's no better way to tell the whole world that you use a vibrator like filing an international lawsuit.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Glacier wrote:There's no better way to tell the whole world that you use a vibrator like filing an international lawsuit.

you say that like its a bad thing .
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

ha, well I supposed she's a bit of an exhibitionist.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

I laughed a fair bit at this. How could she have NOT suspected? I mean... hahah... personal information data mining is just the way business is today with cell phones making it easy-peasy. I had an employer sell my personal information 15 years ago to an advertising/spam pusher. I know it was them because they'd made a very distinctive typo on every paystub. Nothing we do is exclusively ours anymore unless we take the time and effort to disconnect.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

I agree, it's not in the least surprising that the maker of this product would do this, and no, what time of day persons use their vibrator is not the info they're after. However, we're not talking about a browser cookie here, it appears to be an app grabbing info that it doesn't have permission to take. I doubt we'll ever hear if this suit went anywhere but I'd be interested to know.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
forum
Guru

Post by forum »

What is the data used for? I just don't see how it's useful? Yep, vibrator usage went up when husband was out of town for work. Yep, women need frequent sexual release just like men. :130:

Would it be weird if the company called saying they noticed an unusual amount of vibrator usage, or maybe a sharp decline?
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Too funny pretty much all apps are data mining information from our phones. No one reads the fine print when installing apps would be surprised at what they've agreed to when accepting the terms and conditions.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

forum wrote:What is the data used for? I just don't see how it's useful? Yep, vibrator usage went up when husband was out of town for work. Yep, women need frequent sexual release just like men. :130:

Would it be weird if the company called saying they noticed an unusual amount of vibrator usage, or maybe a sharp decline?

As I said, that's not the data they're accused of taking. Stuff like what other apps you use, what websites you visit. Legitimate apps require your permission for that stuff. That data is useful, and they are probably sharing it with a third party.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

I'm waiting for the lawsuit to be filed.

See if this Lady is gonna put her Big Girl Panties on and follow through with her accusations.

:popcorn:
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

She did and won.

Ha. I posted the outcome in How Low does it go.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Glacier wrote:There's no better way to tell the whole world that you use a vibrator like filing an international lawsuit.

And she won!

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39280941

Yup, now the whole world knows.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?

Return to “Social Concerns”