The homeless

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: The homeless

Post by youjustcomplain »

Mr Danksworth wrote:It's a trap alright. A trap enabled not only by their peers, but by society in general. Give them free
Food, shelter, and unearned money...what could possibly go wrong? Our 'homeless' live like kings compared to the real poverty of the rest of the world. They get no sympathy from me.

Live like Kings? In Kelowna, it sometimes gets to -20 celcius at nights in the winter. Food banks rely on donations to provide for these people. Many of them are addicted to drugs and/or have serious mental health issues. Tell me, how is it that they live like Kings? Who do you compare them to? In 3rd world countries, homelessness is an issue too, but it's for a much larger portion of society, and they need not be addicted with mental health issues.

I can't, for the life of me, understand your vitriolic point of view.
Zoso
Übergod

Post by Zoso »

I was on the other side of a curtain at kelowna general lets say 14 years ago . As a shadow went past and into the room with a door in the corner of the emergency a horrid smell came with it , was like nothing I've ever witnessed except for the pit where highways throws all the deer roadkill . The door closed and then i looked out the curtain . There was something going on and it wasnt good . I asked the next nurse that peeked in the curtain and she said it was a homeless guy that was found with frozen feet . They apperently cut the clothing off and after that removed the damaged areas of the person .

I dont homestly know how they survive winter . I've done quite alot of winter camping , havinh the courage to donit without heat or food wouldnt be so fun . Nevermind all winter.
Strong and free
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

youjustcomplain wrote:
These people should not be murdered, as you suggest; they need help.

Some of them are beyond help. I work in the system.

When you try for 2 years straight to help someone (giving them breaks when needed, advice, cousneling, access to programs, etc...) and no matter what you do, they still wind up higher than a cloud, committing yet another crime even though you KNOW they've been given so so many chances and resources, it's time to cut your losses. You haven't failed them, nor has society. They've failed themselves

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Oct 13th, 2016, 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: this is to be done via pm.
RedViking

Post by RedViking »

fvkasm2x wrote:Some of them are beyond help. I work in the system.

Nice to know someone who 'works in the system' feels such contempt for a great number of homeless and mentally-ill people.

The programs you're referring to are lacking beyond belief. A lot of the people in charge of them seem to have no clue what they're doing and won't even bother answering emails / phone calls.

Maybe these programs should be fixed before berating homeless people and wishing harm upon them.
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

fvkasm2x wrote:Some of them are beyond help. I work in the system.

When you try for 2 years straight to help someone (giving them breaks when needed, advice, cousneling, access to programs, etc...) and no matter what you do, they still wind up higher than a cloud, committing yet another crime even though you KNOW they've been given so so many chances and resources, it's time to cut your losses. You haven't failed them, nor has society. They've failed themselves

*removed*

Maybe it's time to look for a new job??

I am also educated and work in the system. It is sad (and disgusting) that some people with no empathy or compassion work with the people who need it the most. Not to mention someone who would advocate for the murder of those very people just because they are drug addicts/on welfare.

If you are at the point in your career (especially a career like this one) where you are unable to separate the free-will of others from your own life, and where you think the idea of shooting someone in the head is an acceptable thing to say then maybe you've finally reached your burn out point.
hail Satan y'all
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Post by sooperphreek »

youjustcomplain wrote:I'm confused. Why a muslim?

simple. right wingers hate them.
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Post by sooperphreek »

RedViking wrote:Nice to know someone who 'works in the system' feels such contempt for a great number of homeless and mentally-ill people.

The programs you're referring to are lacking beyond belief. A lot of the people in charge of them seem to have no clue what they're doing and won't even bother answering emails / phone calls.

Maybe these programs should be fixed before berating homeless people and wishing harm upon them.

interesting thought. considering that the gospel mission is a religious entity is important too. its all about boxes. and how you can be fit into them. and conforming to a cultural expectation. its set up as jumping through hoops. and each hoop set up has access to government support for the facilitators. and when you become a drain on the resources - you get dropped like a hot potato.
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Post by sooperphreek »

whatwhat wrote:If you are at the point in your career (especially a career like this one) where you are unable to separate the free-will of others from your own life, and where you think the idea of shooting someone in the head is an acceptable thing to say then maybe you've finally reached your burn out point.

ahhh therein lies the rub. religious entities and religious people hate free will. unless you show contempt for who you are - and buy into placing yourself under who these people want you to be - you are dead to them.
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

whatwhat wrote:
Maybe it's time to look for a new job??

I am also educated and work in the system. It is sad (and disgusting) that some people with no empathy or compassion work with the people who need it the most. Not to mention someone who would advocate for the murder of those very people just because they are drug addicts/on welfare.

If you are at the point in your career (especially a career like this one) where you are unable to separate the free-will of others from your own life, and where you think the idea of shooting someone in the head is an acceptable thing to say then maybe you've finally reached your burn out point.

I actually just got promoted about a month ago, largely thanks to my work with the mentally ill. I've had numerous people (both client and health services coworkers) contact my supervisor about my amazing interpersonal skills, devotion and ability to help people that others thought were unreachable.

That doesn't change reality or facts. Unlike most though, I can do an amazing job and still know the truth. Like a lawyer who does an amazing job for a scumbag pedophile. He can think the guy is scum of the Earth and deserves to rot in hell, but still does his job to the best of his ability.

That's me. I try my best every day at work to help these people. Doesn't mean they deserve it. You can help people without being a bleeding heart crybaby.
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

fvkasm2x wrote:I actually just got promoted about a month ago, largely thanks to my work with the mentally ill. I've had numerous people (both client and health services coworkers) contact my supervisor about my amazing interpersonal skills, devotion and ability to help people that others thought were unreachable.

That doesn't change reality or facts. Unlike most though, I can do an amazing job and still know the truth. Like a lawyer who does an amazing job for a *bleep* pedophile. He can think the guy is scum of the Earth and deserves to rot in hell, but still does his job to the best of his ability.

That's me. I try my best every day at work to help these people. Doesn't mean they deserve it. You can help people without being a bleeding heart crybaby.

Well I am sure if all those people read your comment about bringing them out back and shooting them in the head they may think otherwise.

Good luck on your promotion and I hope to God none of my guys ever have to work with you :130:
hail Satan y'all
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

whatwhat wrote:
Good luck on your promotion and I hope to God none of my guys ever have to work with you :130:

Because they'd realize what a poor job you've been doing this whole time? lol :130:
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Why don't they deserve it?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

Queen K wrote:Why don't they deserve it?

If you are talking to me about them deserving help...

I was talking about people who have been given everything and never work at it. Guys who have been arrested dozens of times. Guys who have been through treatment, counseling, etc... time and time again, but constantly "relapse" because they don't work hard enough to get better.

Those people don't deserve any more money, time or effort thrown at them. If they don't want to change, I'd rather focus on helping someone who DOES want to change.

Funding, volunteers, professionals and programs are scarce enough already. It's not feasible to keep wasting resources on guys that don't try to get better
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Oh yes, agreed. At some point enough is enough.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

Because they'd realize what a poor job you've been doing this whole time? lol :130:

Yes, please continue to joke after stating you want to shoot people in the head. Makes yourself look good.

Whatever makes you feel better after stating something absolutely horrible.
hail Satan y'all

Return to “Social Concerns”