Halloween Candy

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Halloween Candy

Post by Thinktank »

Shoveling out cheap Halloween candy to kids is a $335 million "trick" we play on them
that teaches them in a tooth rotting way, no one ever gives you anything good for "free."
Quality instead of Quantity would be the smart thing to teach kids about what
we shove down our stomachs, on Halloween.

I think every kid on earth would rather have one of those ^ instead of bags and bags of the cheap stuff.

http://www.dailydoseofrabbitfood.com/20 ... een-candy/

https://img1.beachbodyimages.com/beachb ... pdated.jpg
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Bman wrote:
On second thought, they all get one beet.
A small beet.

What! No Kittens!

I'm so disappointed in you.

My Wife will only buy the candy that she likes so she can eat the leftovers.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Wonder how much longer trick or treating will be around. I hope we never get to the point where parents would rather just buy their kids candy and stay home.

Reason I bring it up is alot of places are already there. Years ago I tried to take my son trick or treating in a nice neighbourhood when we we're on vacation in California. Took only a couple houses to realize it was a big no-no. First few didn't answer the door and the third told me I was an idiot..... and I was. By the time we got back to the sidewalk a lazer pointer was on me. Scary Halloween but not in fun way, I wouldn't recommend it.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

Bsuds wrote:
What! No Kittens!

I'm so disappointed in you.

My Wife will only buy the candy that she likes so she can eat the leftovers.

You get a pail full of kittens.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Want. But I'll bet Bman gave this one away to Bsuds.

Candy calls, it's callinnngggggggggggggg
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast

Post by WeatherWoman »

With a food sensitivity to food dyes in our house we never buy candy to hand out. Usually Playdough. We get less then 10 kids every year and instead of having more garbage to eat the kids have an activity to do.

The kids sell their candy to use for $1/lb. They can keep some of their favorites. I hoard the Coffee Crisps and the rest go to the food bank.
Last edited by WeatherWoman on Oct 28th, 2016, 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

the internet is great. I checked Kit Kats and found out something about big corporations.
They're greedy.

Have A Little PGPR In Your Chocolate

Big corporate chocolate manufacturers like Hershey’s do not sell true chocolate products. It is too expensive for them to provide you with real chocolate, so they use an ingredient call Palsgaard4150 (PGPR) in all of their products. PGPR is a substitute for coca butter.

The FDA deemed PGPR safe for humans as long as you restrict your intake to 7.5 milligrams per kilogram of body weight. Otherwise you’d be open to reversible liver enlargement at higher intakes.

http://www.theearthyreport.com/have-a-l ... chocolate/
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

When I run out of candy, I give the kids my Lipitor.

Not a lot of kids in our neighbourhood, and we'll be out with our own youngster anyway. Not buying any H'ween candy, at least not to hand out :D
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

Thinktank wrote:the internet is great. I checked Kit Kats and found out something about big corporations.
They're greedy.

Have A Little PGPR In Your Chocolate

Big corporate chocolate manufacturers like Hershey’s do not sell true chocolate products. It is too expensive for them to provide you with real chocolate, so they use an ingredient call Palsgaard4150 (PGPR) in all of their products. PGPR is a substitute for coca butter.

The FDA deemed PGPR safe for humans as long as you restrict your intake to 7.5 milligrams per kilogram of body weight. Otherwise you’d be open to reversible liver enlargement at higher intakes.

http://www.theearthyreport.com/have-a-l ... chocolate/

I think I just found out why no one invites you to their Halloween parties.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Atomoa wrote:Candy isn't as good as it used to be 20 years ago. They shrunk the mini-sizes down to extra-extra small and that throws off the texture. Not as much variety either.

Where are good places to get candy? Deals? Obviously WalMart/Superstore are stops but where do people find the good candy?

Costco all the way
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

I'm beginning to ponder why I should be expected to give any kid anything that I have to buy with my hard earned munny and why I should be expected to give them potatoes or beets. Nobody ever gives me anything.
Any other time you give kids candy you get arrested.

I'm just gonna turn out the lights and close the blinds.
If I had it my way I'd electrify the doorbell.
Bah humbug
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Loki2u
Board Meister

Post by Loki2u »

WeatherWoman wrote:With a food sensitivity to food dyes in our house we never buy candy to hand out. Usually Playdough. We get less then 10 kids every year and instead of having more garbage to eat the kids have an activity to do.

The kids sell their candy to use for $1/lb. They can keep some of their favorites. I hoard the Coffee Crisps and the rest go to the food bank.

Wow. Playdough. Gee......thanks??
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your INFORMED opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant. -Harlan Ellison-
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast

Post by WeatherWoman »

Loki2u wrote:Wow. Playdough. Gee......thanks??

then don't stop at my house.

My daughter is super excited for the leftovers plus for those kids who have food allergies or other medical condition the prevent them from enjoying candy can have a treat they can play with instead of throw away.

Who needs a bag full of candy anyways.
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

I think Play-Do is an EXCELLENT idea!! It doesn't rot teeth, kids aren't allergic to it and it lasts a h*ll of a lot longer than candy!!

Back in the Stone Age, I always targeted the houses that gave out homemade treats - chocolate Rice Krispy squares, generous slices of cake with yummy icing, bags of richly buttered popcorn... except for Carmel Apples... no carmel apples, please and thank you!!
Chill

Return to “Social Concerns”