1000 years left

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Poindexter
Guru

Re: 1000 years left

Post by Poindexter »

Ka-El wrote:Well I’m relieved we have a plan (we’ll need lots of fossil fuel though):

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/video/news/nas ... id=SL5MDHP

A good plan would be to point our nuclear missiles toward space to defend against asteroids instead of pointing them at each other.

I watched Incorporated and while there were some interesting tid bits it appears to directly aimed at one demographic, specifically mellinials. Won't get into specifics for those who haven't seen it. Going to give it another week, will cut them some slack because they had to fit a lot in that first episode.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

I enjoyed it, but I guess any sci-fi show would have to be pretty darn bad before I wouldn’t. :138:
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Poindexter wrote:
I watched Incorporated and while there were some interesting tid bits it appears to directly aimed at one demographic, specifically mellinials.

Get used to it. Gen X is not the primary marketing demographic anymore. They know that millennials are the ones driving the market now. There are shows I just can't watch because I just don't get it. I finally am understanding what my parents went through trying to understand the TV shows I used to watch.

Won't get into specifics for those who haven't seen it. Going to give it another week, will cut them some slack because they had to fit a lot in that first episode.

I did find the show entertaining, as long as I tuned out the usual communist messages and silly liberal nonsense. I read one review on IMDB that said "Oh great, another show giving a grim apocalyptic view of the future, how original" and I had to agree, it's not very original. But great effects, that's for sure.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I love good sci-fi, Blade Runner being my fav, but Total Recall (old version), Avatar, Minority Report, and a few others are up there with me.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Queen K wrote:I love good sci-fi, Blade Runner being my fav, but Total Recall (old version), Avatar, Minority Report, and a few others are up there with me.

"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

:135: Are you divorcing me GB? Over sci-fi? I thought our liberalism vs conservativism would do us in first.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

I would be watching episode two tonight but "Jason Bourne" is only available on PPV for another 21 hours.
I'll be recording "Incorporated" so no spoiler alerts you guys :1422:

( it's sci-fi; like I care it's not original, sheesh )
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Queen K wrote::135: Are you divorcing me GB? Over sci-fi? I thought our liberalism vs conservativism would do us in first.

I would never equate you with evil villainous and completely insane Sharon Stone! :biggrin: Whenever anyone mentions that movie, that's the scene I think of.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I take it she's not liberal like me, but no matter, it's a great scene.
Last edited by Queen K on Dec 7th, 2016, 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Ka-El wrote:I would be watching episode two tonight but "Jason Bourne" is only available on PPV for another 21 hours.

I should bribe my mom to record it for me. I wonder how many bingo cards that would take.
w84u2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by w84u2 »

Queen K wrote:
Ka-El wrote:I would be watching episode two tonight but "Jason Bourne" is only available on PPV for another 21 hours.

I should bribe my mom to record it for me. I wonder how many bingo cards that would take.

I record "Incorporated" too. Good show.
Computers allow people to make more mistakes in less time than anything since the invention of tequila and automatic weapons.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

Half the world's species failing to cope with global warming as Earth races towards its sixth mass extinction

Nearly half the species on the planet are failing to cope with the global warming the world has already experienced, according to an alarming new study that suggests the sixth mass extinction of animal life in the Earth’s history could take place in as little as 50 years.

<snip>

Professor Wiens, who is editor of the Quarterly Review of Biology and a winner of the American Society of Naturalists’ president’s award, said the implications for the future were serious because his review showed plants and animals were struggling to deal with the relatively small amount of global warming experienced to date.

So far the world has warmed by about 1 degree (Celsius) above pre-industrial levels, but it is expected to reach between 2.6 and 4.8 degrees (C) by 2100 if nothing is done to reduce greenhouse gases.

Professor Wiens, of Arizona University, described this as a “global disaster” and, when asked what he would say to the President-elect if he met him, he joked grimly: “Kill yourself immediately.”

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/weather/topsto ... id=SL5MDHP
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

We might as well make a castanet contest of the last day of humans.
Whoever gets closest without going over wins a bucket of kittens.

I say 231 years, 4 months, 11 days.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Bman wrote:We might as well make a castanet contest of the last day of humans.

Don't want to derail...Bman...I think you're going to need a bigger bucket!

:topic:

Pretty sure the climate will be the least of anyone's worries...
unless...
fallout is considered climate change.
( I'll go back to silence now...interesting view and read though)
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Bman wrote:We might as well make a castanet contest of the last day of humans.

I'm giving us just under that, at the rate of consumption of goods and tree cutting, 189 years and 8 months.

Return to “Social Concerns”