Scam Texts About Your Online Banking

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
damama55
Übergod

Scam Texts About Your Online Banking

Post by damama55 »

I keep getting texts from numbers out of Ontario and Montreal. Says my online banking has been locked and that I should log into the site they attach. Of course, I didn't.
I have already let my bank know about these, and, attached the info so they could check it out, too.
Call me over-cautious, but, when I get a phone call, or a text, from a number I don't know, I Google it.
Just don't fall into the scammers claws by responding with any personal info. If you have questions, let your bank know.
May we all be a blessing in the days ahead.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Re: Scam Texts About Your Online Banking

Post by JayByrd »

Sound advice. It is also worthwhile to let the RCMP know. They won't likely be able to do much about it, but they do like to have as much data as they can about how many people are being targeted.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

damama55 wrote:I keep getting texts from numbers out of Ontario and Montreal. Says my online banking has been locked and that I should log into the site they attach. Of course, I didn't.
I have already let my bank know about these, and, attached the info so they could check it out, too.
Call me over-cautious, but, when I get a phone call, or a text, from a number I don't know, I Google it.
Just don't fall into the scammers claws by responding with any personal info. If you have questions, let your bank know.

I was getting so many phone calls from scammers that I stopped picking up the phone unless I recognized the number.
Half the time when I did pick up all I heard was air, or a person who's communications skills gave them away.
I don't have text on my home phone and I don't own a cellphone and the only time the bank ever phoned me was when there was unusual activity on my Visa. I think I would be inclined to log into their site and give a bunch of bogus info for them to try and do something with.
Waste not
damama55
Übergod

Post by damama55 »

This is the message I got back from my bank--

"Thank you for taking the time to advise us of the 'phishing' message you
received.

We are aware of this circulating message and confirm that this fraudulent
message did not originate from Scotiabank.

We will never present you with unexpected webpages, or send you unsolicited
e-mails asking for confidential information, such as your password, PIN, credit
card account numbers, etc.
(Emphasis is mine)

As criminals become more sophisticated, they are able to create more convincing
imitations of legitimate e-mail and websites. The key to verifying a legitimate
message lies in the tone of the message and in the nature of the request.
Criminals want you to give them information and they are very obvious about it.
Their messages may have an urgent or threatening tone. Our goal in marketing
any messages is to inform you about a product or service in which we think you
might be interested.

If you are suspicious, don't reply to, click on, or enter any information. If
it says it's from Scotiabank and you're suspicious, you can forward it to
[email protected]. Please do not change the subject line or the email in
any way. We investigate each incident and take steps to prevent further
unauthorized e-mail from being sent.
(Emphasis is mine)"

If you do get a call or a text from a number you don't know, GOOGLE the number, always. As I said before, if I don't know the number, very seldom do I answer. Another thing, if you pick up the phone, and you get dead air, or someone with a strong accent comes on? I hang up. My friend used to get calls that her computer was putting out a virus to other computers. I answered for her one day, told the guy that they were scammers and NOT TO CALL AGAIN. My friend said that I couldn't be rude to them. I assured her that I could because they were trying to scam her. The other funny thing?? Her computer wasn't even plugged in.
Anyway, if you have suspicions, if you aren't sure, if you have doubts--call the company that is supposedly sending out the messages, or making the calls. Never give out personal info.
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by youjustcomplain »

Just so you know damama55...

There are easy to get apps, for your phone, that allow you to mask your real phone number and provide a fake one. This doesn't help you, but when you get a phone call from a 604 area code, it doesn't mean the caller has a phone registered in BC. They could easily be anywhere. Yep, still a scam, but just not necessarily out of Ontario or Montreal.
damama55
Übergod

Post by damama55 »

I do know that, thank you. Great info to know. That is one reason, too, that I Google numbers I don't know. If we get more info out there, hopefully we can save others from being taken advantage of.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

There are also apps that allow you to block numbers. I know the scammers change them all the time but it slows them down and will stop any from the same number getting through.

I have a very limited number of people who have my cell # and if it's not from someone on my list I don't answer.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
damama55
Übergod

Re: Scam Texts

Post by damama55 »

Exactly!! That is what I do, too. Again, great info. And yes, they do change their numbers a lot, but, we have to be one step ahead of them. Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks?? Not us. :)
damama55
Übergod

Post by damama55 »

My friend got an email from Phoebe@[email protected] with a reply to Lupe@[email protected]
It says
"Member-Account # 2814
Your $100 account credit requires your confirmation for acceptance $ account-accuracy. This must be-redeemed by 4/17/2017.
Simply Go Here Now to Confirm."

She is not a Costco member, but I am, so she asked me about it and printed off the email for me to look at. I told her NOT to click on the link and she didn't.
Just thought you might like to make members aware that this scam is going on.

The following is taken directly from Costco's site--

"What to do if you suspect a scam or fraud?
Keeping our members' personal information secure and confidential is one of Costco Wholesale's highest priorities. Below are some of the most common types of scams, and also some suggestions on how you can be aware and help protect yourself against identity theft. Phishing and Spoofing These are criminal acts of sending out fraudulent messages, emails or website links that appear to be from a legitimate business. They will directly request that you provide personal financial information, such as:
Name and address
Social Insurance Number (SIN)
Credit card numbers / bank account numbers
Pin numbers / passwords
Pop-Up Advertisements

What Can You Do?
Never respond to emails that cannot be verified.
Never provide personal information via email.
Contact the business by using legitimate phone numbers to verify the request.
Enter websites using your browser and not by clicking on the provided links.
Be cautious of any solicitation requesting that you deposit a cheque or pay a fee to collect a prize.

Consider filing a report with the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre (CAFC) by phone or online.
Phone: 1-888-495-8501 (Monday to Friday 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. EST)
Online: Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre
Please contact us to report any suspicious emails or contacts that are using the Costco Wholesale name."

Anyway, hope no one is caught up in any type of scam email.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

damama55 wrote:They will directly request that you provide personal financial information, such as:
Name and address
Social Insurance Number (SIN)
Credit card numbers / bank account numbers
Pin numbers / passwords

only government offices get to use or ask for my Social Insurance Number, anyone else can go f :cuss: themselves.
As for other information, I'm one who does hand that out passwords period. If they have problem with that they to can go f :cuss: themselves.
Only my bank gets to ask for my bank account number etc... etc on the CC.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
damama55
Übergod

Post by damama55 »

This is NOT a text, but a phone call and a Kamloops resident got taken. So sad that there are still people making these shysters rich.
http://wpmedia.vancouversun.com/2017/09 ... =96&crop=1

Kamloops senior loses $4,000 in all-too-familiar scam

Please, please, talk to your Nana or Grampa, your Mom or your Dad and tell them, IF YOU GET A CALL ABOUT YOUR BANK ACCOUNT, DO NOT DO ANYTHING UNTIL SOMEONE HAS A CHANCE TO CHECK IT OUT. As has been stated soooooo many times, the bank will never ask you to send money through wire transfer. If they do get a call like that, take note of the number and report it to the RCMP.

Return to “Social Concerns”