Nobody wants your parents stuff.

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
mexi cali
Guru

Re: Nobody wants your parents stuff.

Post by mexi cali »

While most have albums and heirlooms of a sort, a lot of that stuff comes into your hands by way of people who are or were sentimental and assumed that everyone must hold those kinds of things close to the heart, not everyone is in fact sentimental and it really comes down to what matters to you at whatever stage of your life you are at and photos et al may not make the cut.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Probabaly could have broken that up but screw it.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I was told yesterday by an elderly man, "if this house burns down who cares, not even our one son wants anything."

Even the photo albums!

So there you go, it's all in the beholder.

And as for my "stuff", well one young attendee at the g2g said, "for my generation, 'less is more'."
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

sislonski wrote:My parents manage an apartment building and my dad shared an incident with me about a couple who had to be evicted, they didn't have enough money for gas for their car to leave, let alone a moving van. They were faced with having to leave everything behind. My parents feeling pity for them, gave them a generous amount of money so that they could afford gas, food to get them to their destination. They loaded up their car with what one would think would be there their most important belongings with barely enough room to even fit themselves into the car.

The next day my parents task was to clean out this couples apartment. There sitting on the living room table were photo albums, not with just holiday photos, but vintage family heirloom photos with family history and their wedding album etc. and those weren't the only items that were left behind that one would think would be most important. And yet . . . They chose instead to take their big screen tv. Which took up most of the space in the car. Yup, they took material items over family heirlooms. They couldn't afford to pay rent or buy food or gas, yet they took a stupid tv when they probably can't afford cable anyway . Some people are just dumb! Had they sold some items like the tv they probably could have scraped up enough money for a moving van.

But my point in sharing the story is how much people have become so attached to meaningless items. It's mind boggling.

During the evacuation of the Mission fire of 2003 I saw a photo of a person sitting in their car holding a lamp for crying out loud.
Waste not
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Or your Grandparents stuff either

As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?

Return to “Social Concerns”