You're fired. No, Re-hired. Courts and labour, arrrgghh.

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
FreeRights
Guru

Re: You're fired: and it's not over the fishwich.

Post by FreeRights »

Queen K wrote:That's an entirely different thread Even Steven.

And MJ, I'm sure Burger King as a corporation is horrified that a franchise owner got hit with such a large and punishing judgement. IMO it should have been lower if imposed at all. Now anyone getting fired can sue and except a windfall.

Which makes hiring more difficult. Hence my original point.

Honestly, I just don't see it.

There's tons of examples that can be observed regarding labour law and how important policy and procedure is. They exist for a reason.

Had policy been followed in this case, they would have prevented the judgement against them. I mean, even down to overserving relatives, documentation of coaching and discipline is important to avoid a wrongful dismissal suit.

I don't think it shows anything insofar as risk in hiring this kind of employee, rather it reminds everyone of the importance in running a business properly.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
JollyGreenBully
Banned

Post by JollyGreenBully »

fvkasm2x wrote:??? Get help son. Honestly find a therapist or counselor. I never mentioned you and my response was 100% factual with quotes from the case, talking about the topic. It had nothing to do with you

I was referring to multiple other comments you've made about me where you've just trashed me. And here you go again.

fvkasm2x wrote:I used to work in loss prevention for a couple years many moons ago. Do you know what I heard MULTIPLE times from people caught stealing?

"I have lots of money, I can pay for it. I didn't mean to steal it."

I had people pull out their wallets and say "Why would I steal it if I have all this cash"

It's a convenient excuse to try to get away with something

I have to ask the same question as another thread: This is relevant how? The employee in this case specifically asked for the sandwich. She didn't steal it, get caught, and then try to worm her way out of it later. If you're talking about the fries, she asked for "fish fry" which can be in interpreted as asking for fries. If you're talking about the drink, Burger King has a free drink policy and she clearly states she left work on many occasions with free drinks and no one said anything.
JollyGreenBully
Banned

FreeRights wrote:Had policy been followed in this case, they would have prevented the judgement against them. I mean, even down to overserving relatives, documentation of coaching and discipline is important to avoid a wrongful dismissal suit.

Exactly, like these allegations that she stole some chicken fingers. If it happened, she should have been formally disciplined especially since it supposedly happened 3x.

You don't want employees stealing? Make sure they don't. Don't be ambiguous about it for years and then fire someone out of the blue because of a misunderstanding.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

I bet this went thru the judges mind..
After 24 years, the employee,never gets a raise..
Then over 1.00 or even 5.00 ..more than actual cost... Loss, they let the employee go ?
A dollar is a penny per shift for less than a year...

I bet it made the judge sick thinking about it. I wonder what a BK Christmas party is like if they even have one..?
The saying ......Penny Wise and Dollar Dumb...... Certainly applies to this one..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
JollyGreenBully
Banned

60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:I wonder what a BK Christmas party is like if they even have one..?

You have to pay for the water consumed at the party.....or you get fired for stealing.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:I bet this went thru the judges mind..
After 24 years, the employee,never gets a raise..
Then over 1.00 or even 5.00 ..more than actual cost... Loss, they let the employee go ?
A dollar is a penny per shift for less than a year...

I bet it made the judge sick thinking about it. I wonder what a BK Christmas party is like if they even have one..?
The saying ......Penny Wise and Dollar Dumb...... Certainly applies to this one..

And that's where I flop. She was easy to take advantage of and possibly he thought easy to dispose of, ie fire.
Don't think I don't despise that guy. I actually do.
I do think BK is now issuing notices to all franchise owners and managers to the effect of "make your policies clear and don't fail to document bad employee practises."
But the case reflects badly on the company, and in a day of social outrage via social media, BK is probably chilled to the Burger.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Changing gears here: yet another FIRED and oops, RE-hired story.

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#189021

Who is right?
Who was in the wrong?

Do they want an alcoholic doing lab work? Likely not.

So here we are. I'm changing the title of my thread.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
JollyGreenBully
Banned

Queen K wrote:But the case reflects badly on the company, and in a day of social outrage via social media, BK is probably chilled to the Burger.

So what?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

JollyGreenBully wrote:
Queen K wrote:But the case reflects badly on the company, and in a day of social outrage via social media, BK is probably chilled to the Burger.

So what?

Just stating facts. But I do wonder if BK is a publically traded company and shareholders might care. Or would.
Living in a new social media World has changed a lot of things, including cash flow. Look at Ivanka's troubles.

Return to “Social Concerns”