The cure for mental illness

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: The cure for mental illness

Post by Fancy »

Interesting you changed the title of the article:
The big sleep: Canada's dangerous love affair with tranquillizers

Sleeping pills aren't the same as antidepressants. You are confusing different issues.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

I think what he is referring to is how sleep aides and tranquillizers could hypothetically contribute to depression, maybe increase rate of, instead of giving people relief from insomnia, anxiety.
Sometimes doctors (and even patients) confuse anxiety (which often goes along with insomnia), with depression (which can also go along with insomnia or sleep rhythm disruption), or people can suffer from both anxiety and depression. So they get prescribed sleeping pills because that seems to be their main complaint. GPs are handling a lot of this and they are not psychiatrists, so I think they are making sort of (educated) guesses about illness and treatment.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Thinktank didn't insinuate that at all as far as I read. The article was specific regarding insomnia and tranquilizers. Totally different from mental illnesses that require antidepressants to alleviate symptoms. Excessive worry is not the same as major depression.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

Fancy wrote:Sleeping pills aren't the same as antidepressants. You are confusing different issues.

Yes they are exactly the same as antidepressants if you are in the business of selling them and are concerned with profits
because more and more Canadians are using them and that means more $$$$$

^^^^ see how taking antidepressants causes insomnia. The drug companies know that. Many Canadians
are taking two, three up to five pills every day. big money.
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Please post a link. Some of the medications you have linked to are not SSRI's. Taking SSRI's can make you tired.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Found the link - pancreatic cancer?

http://www.joplink.net/prev/200703/07.html
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

Now I know why there are more old people with dementia in Canada than ever before.
It's caused partly by the fact there are more depressed people in Canada taking antidepressants than ever before.

6. Antidepressants may cause cognitive decline

Since neurons are required for proper brain functioning, the neuron-killing effects of antidepressants can be expected to have negative effects on cognition. In rodents, experiments have found that prolonged antidepressant use impairs the ability to learn a variety of tasks. Similar problems may exist in humans. Numerous studies have found that antidepressants impair driving performance, and they may increase the risk of car accidents. Recent research on older women also indicates that prolonged antidepressant use is associated with a 70% increase in the risk of mild cognitive impairment and an increase in the risk of probable dementia.

Antidepressants also cause more liver damage than the drug companies were telling us. link to follow in next post.

https://www.madinamerica.com/2012/09/th ... pressants/

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Thinktank wrote:Now I know why there are more old people with dementia in Canada than ever before.
It's caused partly by the fact there are more depressed people in Canada taking antidepressants than ever before.
Can you at least link to a factual study.

Why is it so hard for you to acknowledge mental illness?
Necro
Übergod

Post by Necro »

the truth wrote:http://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/189165/the-cure-for-mental-illness at least this dr has it right, it's all about most doctor's giving out pills so big pharma gets its $$$$$$$,eat well , and exercize ,yes people take care of yourselves-wow :200: ,stop looking for the quick fix all the time a pill

There is absolutely nothing in this article that suggests anything but psychiatric care for mental illness.
Did you know 1 of 3 Biden voters are as dumb as the other 2? #LetsGoBrandon!
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Thinktank wrote:Antidepressants also cause more liver damage than the drug companies were telling us. link to follow in next post.

Not understanding why you wouldn't post the link to start with. And not understanding what difference it makes what the drug companies are telling you. The end game is getting help with mental illness. There is no cure from what I've come up with. There is only the hope of a little relief from symptoms. I could care less about the companies that makes the drug - only care that the drugs can help those that have struggled so hard through life.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

So the topic of this thread is "the cure for mental illness" not "Go Berzerk on Pharmaceutical drugs"

People want everything instant. They get money from the machine - instantly. They drive up to a window and get their food handed to them instantly. And they want to get rid of their headache instantly - with aspirin.

So people think they can take pills for everything. And they should be able to do that if they want.

I say "knock yourself out" if you want to take antidepressants. But this thread is about "the cure" not the "drugs" for mental
illness. The cure would start in schools - teaching children how to take control over their own health, instead of running to a doctor for "instant" relief of their problems.

The cure for mental illness would mean the bankruptcy of the drug companies. It'll never happen.
It will only get worse.

Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Thinktank wrote:So the topic of this thread is "the cure for mental illness" not "Go Berzerk on Pharmaceutical drugs"

People want everything instant. They get money from the machine - instantly. They drive up to a window and get their food handed to them instantly. And they want to get rid of their headache instantly - with aspirin.

So people think they can take pills for everything. And they should be able to do that if they want.

I say "knock yourself out" if you want to take antidepressants. But this thread is about "the cure" not the "drugs" for mental
illness. The cure would start in schools - teaching children how to take control over their own health, instead of running to a doctor for "instant" relief of their problems.

The cure for mental illness would mean the bankruptcy of the drug companies. It'll never happen.
It will only get worse.

The title did not reflect the content of the original post so is a little misleading. Help for mental illness is not an instant fix as you well know and children also suffer. I would not want my children taught anything by some quack.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

do not speak for me, your now twisting my op into your i love big pharma crap ,like you always do
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Silverstarqueen wrote:Is it really menopausal women who are the biggest customers? Personally I found my life much more relaxing by the time I got that far. More physical symptoms, yes, but not mental / emotional.
I think there are more women suffering from postpartum, lack of sleep from holding down job, homecare, childcare. Plus there are physical problems which doctors often brush off, or will only prescribe an anti-depressant instead of treating the real problems such as thyroid disfunction, lack of sleep, sleep apnea, anemia, auto-immune conditions,chronic pain, exhaustion. So if an anti-depressant is all that's offered, a woman takes what she can get.

I am low thyroid (so I take eltroxin), low iron (so I take iron supplements), been tested for sleep apnea (cleared), have fibromyalgia (take cyclobenziprene - which helps me sleep as well), asthma (take ventalin), allergies (take antihistimines and eat raw local honey) and also have anxiety and clinical depression - the last I have had since becoming a teen. For those last two I take cipralex and wellbutrin. I have two children, work almost full time, have a house that needs renovating and have a garden. I grow a portion of my own food, exercise at the gym and take time to renew myself. I also take a pile of supplements (mainly Natural Factors, local, high quality) as recommended by my naturopath.

Clinical depression is a real thing, and sometimes you need the help from SSRI's and other meds.
I haven't failed until I quit.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

It is a very real thing and I can't imagine how you manage so much. Spring and warmer weather is coming and soon we'll see the fruits of our labours! Can't wait.

I am torn on the title of this thread as there is no "cure" just management. I resent peopel who think all you need is hiking and being outdoors. Nope, there's a lot more to it.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?

Return to “Social Concerns”