Death Penalty

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
fvkasm2x
Guru

Death Penalty

Post by fvkasm2x »

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/22/opinions/ ... index.html

An interesting article on the death penalty, specifically in the US.

Firing squad is still an option in 2 states.

It brings up an interesting question though. Personally, I don't think I'd like to be done by lethal injection. They might be urban myths, but I've heard/read some terrifying stories about guys not having an easy death. I know from the outside looking in, we could be judgemental and say "who cares, they deserve it." I'm trying to imagine if I were in that position.

Being humane appears to be one of the biggest hurdles/arguments when talking about the death penalty.

I wonder though... would it be possible to "force" them to be organ donors. Then simply put them under, harvest their organs and kill them that way? No pain, very humane and benefits society
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Death Penalty

Post by Bsuds »

fvkasm2x wrote:
I wonder though... would it be possible to "force" them to be organ donors. Then simply put them under, harvest their organs and kill them that way? No pain, very humane and benefits society

Interesting idea but I'm sure some people wouldn't like the thought of having a serial killers heart for instance.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by youjustcomplain »

Bsuds wrote:Interesting idea but I'm sure some people wouldn't like the thought of having a serial killers heart for instance.

But they'd be alive to have that feeling.

Personally, I don't think that giving government the legal right to kill people is a good idea. Guilty of a serious crime or otherwise. Lock 'em away and make them productive. Build huge locked down camps where they work to pay for their own incarceration. Before they can ever be released, they must be considered a low risk to re-offend.
django
Board Meister

Post by django »

Bsuds wrote:
fvkasm2x wrote:

Interesting idea but I'm sure some people wouldn't like the thought of having a serial killers heart for instance.

The transplant teams are currently harvesting organs from dead drug users for BC residents, when people are at that live or die stage I don't think they care much who it comes from, I wouldn't care either.
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

Bsuds wrote:Interesting idea but I'm sure some people wouldn't like the thought of having a serial killers heart for instance.

If you're 20th on the list and likely to die before you get a heart, I'm sure they'd take it. It's better than being dead.

It's not voodoo where you suddenly turn into a serial killer because you got their heart
Last edited by fvkasm2x on Feb 23rd, 2017, 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

It's the brain I'd be worried about.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Fancy wrote:It's the brain I'd be worried about.

We don't do those yet but apparently they are planning on doing a head transplant.

As too my first post I wouldn't care but there are lots who would. Either don't tell them where the organs are coming from or give them a choice.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

fvkasm2x wrote:

If this was viable, it would still be difficult to find a physician (and you'd need a team of them) willing to do this. I believe it would be a violation of medical ethics, even if it were made legal.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

JayByrd wrote:
If this was viable, it would still be difficult to find a physician (and you'd need a team of them) willing to do this. I believe it would be a violation of medical ethics, even if it were made legal.

Ahhh good point. I forgot about the Hippocratic Oath.

Although many doctors do or approve of assisted suicide, so...
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

The main reason this wouldn't work is that 99% of criminals with records bad enough to warrant the death penalty have ruined their lives with drugs, alcohol, and STDS. Their organs have probably been too abused for re-use.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by youjustcomplain »

fvkasm2x wrote:Ahhh good point. I forgot about the Hippocratic Oath.

Although many doctors do or approve of assisted suicide, so...

I don't believe the Hippocratic Oath doesn't allow a physician to follow the patients wishes to end their lives because they are incapable of doing so themselves.
spooker

Post by spooker »

While I don't agree with the death penalty I would agree with organ donation ... but only voluntary, then you forestall any issues with the medical profession balking at harvesting for ethical reasons ...
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

youjustcomplain wrote:
I don't believe the Hippocratic Oath doesn't allow a physician to follow the patients wishes to end their lives because they are incapable of doing so themselves.

Not sure. Taken from Wikipedia:

There has been a large debate on whether doctors administering or facilitating lethal injections to prisoners are breaking the Hippocratic Oath they took.

In 1991, José High was set to be executed in Georgia, United States. The execution team could not gain access to José High's vein due to extreme drug use from his past. The execution team brought in a doctor who had critical care training and was an expert at finding deep veins in the human body. Once the doctor was hired for the sole reason of inserting an IV, the doctor at that point became part of the execution team.

Up until this point, doctors would not take part in placing an IV or administering the drugs, but were only there to pronounce the death of the inmate. The execution happened without incident. However, a group of doctors sued the Georgia State Medical Board for not disciplining the doctor, stating that he violated federal law and broke the Hippocratic Oath (although the Hippocratic oath is not legally binding). In response, the Georgia legislature passed laws protecting doctors who take part in lethal injections from civil and criminal prosecution.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

When you get to the stage where you are talking about riding the lightning, you have no rights to speak of. Organ harvesting should be up to the state at that point.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

fvkasm2x wrote:
There has been a large debate on whether doctors administering or facilitating lethal injections to prisoners are breaking the Hippocratic Oath they took.

As your article stated, the Hippocratic Oath is not legally binding...a doctor who chose to do so, could perform this procedure. I was just saying it could be hard to find one. You were also suggesting, if I understand correctly, that the removal of the organs would be the method of execution. That's taking it a step further than just putting the needle in; the doctor would directly be bringing about the prisoner's death. Again, not necessarily illegal, but willing physician could be hard to find.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.

Return to “Social Concerns”