Another Good Reason to Laugh at People who go to the Gym!

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: Another Good Reason to Laugh at People who go to the Gym

Post by Glacier »

Exercise has to have competition and strategy in order to be fun in my opinion. I play hockey twice a week (once as a goalie, once as a player). It's so fun I don't even realize I'm getting exercise. It's a real disappointment when the Zamboni kicks us off the ice. Meanwhile, the guys are the gym can't wait to finish their routines so they can go home for dinner.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I like the challenge of learning the moves and keeping up with the instructor - I love that there is no competition, just people cheering you on.

I agree with your comment about fun though, it has to be fun or I won't do it. When it is fun, the time just flies past :biggrin:

For me team sports was an exercise in agony and boredom. As a poorly coordinated kid with glasses and asthma, I sucked at all the team sports we had to play in school. I manage to get to zumba 2 times a week, but I'd like to schedule more in. I only manage Pilates once a week.

Here's one of my instructors - Roxana. She's from Peru, and every class is like a dance party.

I haven't failed until I quit.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Ya, I will concede different strokes for different folks. I like team sports, but that's just me, perhaps.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

I don't need to compete with somebody when I'm the gym because I'm competing with my myself.

Two years ago I couldn't squat with an empty bar. Nowdays I can squat 300 - way over my own weight. That's the power of competing against yourself. Keep on skating, little girl who needs competitions and ribbons.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Even Steven wrote:I don't need to compete with somebody when I'm the gym because I'm competing with my myself.

That's like saying you don't need your wife because you can go solo. Whatever works for you, buddy.
- Douglas Murray
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Glacier wrote:That's like saying you don't need your wife because you can go solo.

My wife lifts too. She might do it with less intensity and focus, but she's in a better shape than most people who eat a plate of chicken after skating around a little bit and breaking a sweat loading their hockey gear into a minivan.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

working out at the gym and playing hockey are both great people :up:
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

I certainly don't need competition or a team to motivate me, but it has to be fun for that particular individual. I also don't really like to stay indoors too much so the gym thing doesn't motivate me. Knee is sort of shot, so lifting and squatting with weights would be out of the question. I really like to get out for a horseride. Never been in better shape since I've been doing that, except maybe when I was young and running six miles a day, and horseriding works for my knee too. Everyone just has to work around their own physical limitations.
Last edited by Silverstarqueen on Feb 28th, 2017, 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Moderation is the key, the article is referring those that are a bit obsessive about exercise. A reasonable daily routine won't win you any triathlons but will ward off injuries and illness and should have a positive effect on the labido. I found doing the hockey and baseball thing as exercise is fun but invites injury if that's all you do. I'm in this for the long haul and avoiding even minor injuries and simply getting a sweat on once a day has been the best strategy for myself.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
Mr_Mrs_Wolf
Fledgling

Post by Mr_Mrs_Wolf »

Glacier wrote:
coolwaterwave wrote:What were your other reasons for laughing at people taking care of their bodies?

Lots of reasons. Here are a few:
1) It's boring! Playing is 800 million times more fun, so only a clueless idiot would hit the gym instead.
2) There's no competition unless you're so huge that you lift so much that you lose your libido.
3) It costs too much money. You can go cross country skiing for free outside, or play volleyball for for less money, and get fresh air.
4) There's no strategy. You don't have to think fast to deliver a quick pass up to the speeding winger or make a save off a booming one-timer.
5) I will unfriend you on Facebook if you even think about visiting a gym.
6) If you're my friend, and you read this post, you're going to be thinking "what the hell!!!"

hmmm very closed minded. I play multiple sports:
Mountain climbing, Rock and Ice climbing, Ski and snowboard, Golf, Wake Board as well as compete in body building.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I don't like to lift heavy things. I'm more into finesse than brute force. I'd rather get kicked in the nuts than lift weights.
- Douglas Murray
Ub2
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Ub2 »

Poindexter wrote:Moderation is the key, the article is referring those that are a bit obsessive about exercise. A reasonable daily routine won't win you any triathlons but will ward off injuries and illness and should have a positive effect on the labido. I found doing the hockey and baseball thing as exercise is fun but invites injury if that's all you do. I'm in this for the long haul and avoiding even minor injuries and simply getting a sweat on once a day has been the best strategy for myself.

On this I agree 100%. You're so right about strenuous activities that the weekend warriors participate in, resulting in sometimes serious injuries because they are out of shape.
Regular resistance routines not only keeps muscle mass up, bone mass, co-ordination, mental acuity and gives you a quality of life, all of which you will lose at a much more rapid pace as you age if you do not.

I'll admit that some gym rats are hooked on themselves and it's all about "look at me", but the gym is the best way to train high level competition athletes, and regular folks that do not have the space or the equipment at home.

Glacier wrote:I don't like to lift heavy things. I'm more into finesse than brute force. I'd rather get kicked in the nuts than lift weights.

[icon_lol2.gif] now c'mon Glac, I detect you're being a bit facetious. [icon_lol2.gif]

Zoso
Übergod

Post by Zoso »

I used to go , stopped because i cannot stand the garbage music . Gangster rap full of disgusting lyrics that have nothing to do with heath and motivation . Or the squeeling girly crap . Nothing more humiliating than to be made to work yourself to the point of failure and listening to that . Made it like a torture. And that reason alone.
Strong and free
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Zoso wrote:I used to go , stopped because i cannot stand the garbage music . Gangster rap full of disgusting lyrics that have nothing to do with heath and motivation . Or the squeeling girly crap . Nothing more humiliating than to be made to work yourself to the point of failure and listening to that . Made it like a torture. And that reason alone.

agree with the gangster rap full of disgusting lyrics , bad move many of the older crowd moved on just because of that,bad move on the gyms part the older crowd still pay there bills for the gym to stay open last time i checked
Last edited by the truth on Feb 28th, 2017, 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Loki2u
Board Meister

Post by Loki2u »

Zoso wrote:I used to go , stopped because i cannot stand the garbage music . Gangster rap full of disgusting lyrics that have nothing to do with heath and motivation . Or the squeeling girly crap . Nothing more humiliating than to be made to work yourself to the point of failure and listening to that . Made it like a torture. And that reason alone.

That's what headphones are for!

I find it hard to believe that's the only reason you don't go to the gym. It's hard work! I've been going for years and every January like clockwork the place fills up and by this time its right back to normal. People will look for any excuse not to work out.

It's usually they set unrealistic goals or have to high expectations of themselves, or they don't see results after going twice and just give up. It's a lifestyle, and done in balance with everything....is a very beneficial way to get the most out of your life. :)
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your INFORMED opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant. -Harlan Ellison-

Return to “Social Concerns”