Tipping...what do you think?

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Tipping...what do you think?

Post by Barney Google »

CBC:

A third of B.C.ers won't tip after poor service, especially if server didn't seem busy: poll

Exceptional service could be met with a tip of up to 25 per cent

"A new poll suggests a third of British Columbians wouldn't leave any kind of tip at a sit-down restaurant after poor service from a server who was "clearly not busy."

Last month, Insights West asked respondents across the province what they thought would be an acceptable amount to leave for "below-average" service from an apparently dawdling staffer.

Just over 32 per cent said they'd leave nothing at all, with men being slightly stingier than women.

The proportion rose to 41 per cent among seniors, compared to 24 per cent of those between the ages of 18 and 34...."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.4027758

What do you think?

When do you think tips are warranted or are they just automatic regardless?

If you tip...what percentage or amount do you give/pay for...

Food service?

Hair services?

Esthetic services?

Auto services?

Room service?

Hotel/Motel housekeeping?

Other?
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
my5cents
Guru

Re: Tipping...what do you think?

Post by my5cents »

I tip for food/beverage service (ie being served, not counter service, or pick-up)
I tip for haircuts
Shuttle service
Taxi drivers

I know some tip hotel housekeeping. Perhaps I should be I hadn't thought about it til recently.

I still tip for poor service however low (5%), good service 20%

I'm aware, (many aren't) that servers usually have to share tips with others in the restaurant, so for those who "don't believe in tipping" their server who brings their food and helps them enjoy their meal. It cost the server money out of their pocket to serve them when they don't tip.

I do take into account the entire experience. I am continually frustrated when, I receive great service, good food and ask for my bill and wait FOREVER for it to be brought to me. That, I consider poor service.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

To be honest, it has to take a lot for me to think a server is providing bad service. I do judge my tip on my experience with the server only, as I realize that they (normally) aren't at fault for long wait times, or for food quality. And I also realize that the server has to tip out, so if there is an issue with the kitchen, the server still has to tip out a certain percentage to the kitchen no matter what (sometimes meaning the server is losing money when you don't tip enough).

There has only been once where I haven't tipped. Normally now I can tell if service is going to way below my standard and usually leave before I order (which has only happened twice anyways).
hail Satan y'all
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

my5cents wrote:I tip for food/beverage service (ie being served, not counter service, or pick-up)
I tip for haircuts
Shuttle service
Taxi drivers

What percentage do you tip for the above or do you have a set amount?

I still tip for poor service however low (5%), good service 20%

Do you think you are "obligated" to pay for service even when it is poor? Why?

I do take into account the entire experience. I am continually frustrated when, I receive great service, good food and ask for my bill and wait FOREVER for it to be brought to me. That, I consider poor service.

Waiting for my bill really twists my knickers too...that and not being asked if there is anything else we would like before bringing the bill to our table.
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

whatwhat wrote:To be honest, it has to take a lot for me to think a server is providing bad service. I do judge my tip on my experience with the server only, as I realize that they (normally) aren't at fault for long wait times, or for food quality. And I also realize that the server has to tip out, so if there is an issue with the kitchen, the server still has to tip out a certain percentage to the kitchen no matter what (sometimes meaning the server is losing money when you don't tip enough).

There has only been once where I haven't tipped. Normally now I can tell if service is going to way below my standard and usually leave before I order (which has only happened twice anyways).

Do you tip for other services WhatWhat besides food service?
- Unknown
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

i get good service they get a good tip
i get bad service no tip

i do hate when my server he or she has perfume or cologne on , it just destroys the taste of my meal
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Barney Google wrote:I tip for haircuts
Shuttle service -
Taxi drivers -
What percentage do you tip for the above or do you have a set amount?

Haircuts - I'm not sure, he's actually a personal friend and I give him the same every time, I think about 20%

Shuttle service - We've been staying in Maui for a month at a time, and I'm talking about the free shuttles and the resort supplied golf cart down and back from the beech, so percentage doesn't work. A couple of bucks each ride.

Taxi drivers - Even out the fare out to somewhere around 10%, understanding 50% of the fare is already the driver's

Barney Google wrote:Do you think you are "obligated" to pay for service even when it is poor? Why?

No, I think they deserve something. If it's real bad, I'd still give a small tip and speak to the manager, but that's pretty extreme.

Barney Google wrote:Waiting for my bill really twists my knickers too...that and not being asked if there is anything else we would like before bringing the bill to our table.

I don't find I have any problem with the bill arriving without being asked if I/we want anything else. What does annoy me sometimes is a very short time after the food has been delivered and I'm just taking my first bit, the server arrives and asks how everything is. It give me the feeling that they don't give a hoot what the food is like, it's just a task they have to do and get it over.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

Barney Google wrote:Do you tip for other services WhatWhat besides food service?

Food service?
Yes, and no. I don't tip fast food places, and usually only tip places like Starbucks if I have change. I would normally only tip a couple dollars.

Hair services?
Yes. I normally tip about 40%.

Esthetic services?
I don't get my nails done, or waxing etc. So I am not sure if I would tip or not.

Auto services?
Nope.

Room service?
I don't really get room service when I do stay in a hotel, so I don't really know if I would or not.

Hotel/Motel housekeeping?
I haven't, but maybe I will start.

Other?
I do tip the pizza deliver guy, and taxi drivers.
hail Satan y'all
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

For wait staff - if you do the minimum work you get the minimum tip (0%). I'm not there to subsidize your wage, I'm there to have an enjoyable evening - if you don't put an effort to make sure my experience is enjoyable as possible, don't expect me to make sure I make your weekend experience more enjoyable with extra money. Good service equals good tips - I'm not cheap, but I am frugal - I am more than happy to fork out a very generous tip if and only if you give a genuine effort into your job and I'm more than happy to keep that money in my pocket if you don't care about your job.

I don't use any form of percentage scale simply because its flawed. For an example, if I buy a simple pasta dish that costs me $20, and I order a couple of nice glasses of wine which will easily cost me another $20 - why would I pay a $4 tip instead of a $2 tip just because my beverage cost me more? Doesn't make sense. Tips should be based on the level of service - not the price of what you order.

Hairstylist - seeing that I always use the same one and usually get a shave at the same time, I make sure I tip well - mainly because the next time they'll be holding a straight razor against my neck ;)

Taxi - I usually only use cabs to and from hotels and airports - knowing that most of them wait at the airport for quite a while, and if I know its a very short ride and they go back to the airport again to wait at the back of the line - I'll have no problem throwing them an extra $10 ($20 if they have a clean cab, don't long haul it and are pleasant).

Hotel staff - usually no. I usually just leave spare change on one of the tables - seems to go missing every time - so I guess they think thats their tip.

Shuttle drivers - I usually only use them if its part of a package I purchased, so I'll throw them a couple of bucks - a $10 if they help with luggage (not just mine, but everyones).
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

Ugh, I don't know where to start. So far I'm thinking, those that have contributed so far have no idea what dealing with you people are lik, where "tipping" started or came from, why and how many of us are complete *bleep*. .

And no, I don't work for tips. Did when I was young.
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Deleted post - I crossed the line by making it a bit too personal. My apologies to those who it may have effected.
Last edited by Dizzy1 on Mar 16th, 2017, 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

I think tipping has got to the point where its expected regardless of service and its time service providers and patrons start remembering its optional
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

LTD wrote:I think tipping has got to the point where its expected regardless of service and its time service providers and patrons start remembering its optional

Amen!
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Glad you don't know where to start. Thanks.

i do hate when my server he or she has perfume or cologne on , it just destroys the taste of my meal

Seriously?
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

yes I agree with that when someone has bathed themselves in a fragrance I can literally taste it for hours

Return to “Social Concerns”