Churches not stepping up

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Jflem1983
Guru

Churches not stepping up

Post by Jflem1983 »

So there is a very telling letter to the editor. It speaks to churches doing nothing to help the homeless
I have taken money food and clothing to a homeless man many many times . He lived in a tent within a stones throw of a big rich church . Was a half mile from another big rich church . I asked him one Christmas as I was bringing him turkey . If the church ever helped . He laughed and said of course not . His tent was invisible to churches
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Re: Churches not stepping up

Post by JayByrd »

How many churches are there in Kelowna? Are you sure none of them are doing "enough", and is it safe to use that as a blanket statement? Most of them have specific initiatives that they support, rather than going out and helping the first person they see.

If they could or should be doing more, fair enough. But I think you need to look into what exactly each church IS doing to help the less fortunate before you call them all out.

I can only speak for one church, but the one I'm thinking of does winter clothing drives, collects gifts for children at Christmas, and funds a transition house for men in recovery from addiction, virtually all of whom are coming right off the street.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Well I can only speak to what I see . And that has been a homeless guy living beside the rich church and getting nothing . Fair enuff I should hope most churches are doing a lot better than that. I'm not anti church. Despite this thread. I do agree with the letter writer . I wish I could post the letter but I don't know how
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

i myself am anti church, but if churches want to help great, if not great.

imo the true homeless appreciate any help they get , but homeless junkies will expect and take whatever they can get there hands on
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Sige
Übergod

Post by Sige »

Jflem1983 wrote:Well I can only speak to what I see . And that has been a homeless guy living beside the rich church and getting nothing . Fair enuff I should hope most churches are doing a lot better than that. I'm not anti church. Despite this thread. I do agree with the letter writer . I wish I could post the letter but I don't know how

http://www.castanet.net/news/Letters/191971/Church-yard-campers
Non illegitimi carborundum est.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

West Kelowna needs a standalone homeless shelter, says the pastor of a church that’s already providing overnight accommodation for street people.

http://www.kelownadailycourier.ca/news/ ... 41510.html
There's been articles in the media about churches helping homeless.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

They appear to be unable those most vulnerable that live in tents on or beside their lands .

Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

If the tent dwellers don't want the help, they can't be forced.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Umm fancy . I was bringing this guy food and money and warm stuff in a cold winter . I think he was more than willing to accept help. He needed help.

Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Jflem1983 wrote:Umm fancy . I was bringing this guy food and money and warm stuff in a cold winter . I think he was more than willing to accept help. He needed help.

Speaking from experience, some people will refuse help if they think it comes from a church.

There are a lot of churches in this town, and they do help quite a lot. If they all withdrew services you would certainly notice that. If they talked about the way they help people, some people would be on them for blowing their own horn. So they do their work quietly. They help more than the government does, that's for sure.

I have seen the churches help, I have been involved. It isn't accurate to paint all churches with the same brush.
I haven't failed until I quit.
Osoyoos_Familyof4
Board Meister

Post by Osoyoos_Familyof4 »

If you go to church on any given Sunday in many churches, the pews can be pretty sparse and what parishioners there are are often elderly and on a fixed income. Many churches can't even afford a dedicated minister and are struggling to keep the lights and heat on. In many cases the buildings were built back when many families went to church weekly, so it can be deceiving to look at the buildings and real estate and make assumptions about viability,

That being said, there are many churches that do help the homeless, it just perhaps isn't in the "direct" way that you would prefer it. Many churches are part of cooperatives that run shelters and soup kitchens, and food banks, and addiction services, clothing services etc. Therefore it's easy to assume that because they aren't knocking on tent doors that they aren't involved.

I admire anyone (church member or otherwise) who cares enough to give a damn. It is truly inspiring that people of faith or otherwise do works of kindness and charity. Good for you that you are one of the special few, I honour you!
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

The little church near me has a very elderly population with very few young adults. What can it possibly do?

It even rents out space to various groups to raise money.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

I'm not trying to be anti church . When I was at my lowest . Right cracked out . I sobered up a few Sunday mornings and dragged my sorry butt in to the church in lloydminster

Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Jflem1983 wrote:Umm fancy . I was bringing this guy food and money and warm stuff in a cold winter . I think he was more than willing to accept help. He needed help.

If his name was Peter... send me a pm.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Jflem1983 wrote:I'm not trying to be anti church . When I was at my lowest . Right cracked out . I sobered up a few Sunday mornings and dragged my sorry butt in to the church in lloydminster

I hope you were welcomed . . .
I haven't failed until I quit.

Return to “Social Concerns”