Churches not stepping up

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Churches not stepping up

Post by Catri »

You say you're not trying to be anti-church, but you characterize the church in question as a "big, rich church". The implication there is that churches are raking in the bucks, which many (I daresay most), even the large ones, are not. Those big churches often have equally big mortgages and operating costs and yet, most of them do quite a bit of community work. Anecdotes are a dangerous way of characterizing these things, they are a snapshot, not a panorama. A homeless person camping near a church doesn't mean that church is full of heartless jerks who aren't "stepping up" for the community, perhaps the very existence of homeless people indicts us all as a society for not stepping up.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Well I wasn't gonna say what churches I was speaking of . Out of respect for the Parish they represent. However . I will say the church that was slightly further away . Just out of sight of his tent. On the other side of the fortis gas yard . Spends more on signage in a month than it would take to feed 50 people for the month . As to your question Ken sadly I don't remember the man's name
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Catri having read read your comment . You do realize I did nearly all I could for the man . I didn't take him into my home . I had no room . Short of that I tried to help . Took money out of my pocket food from my fridge clothes from my closet . That's what good people ought to do . Why do u think not one of the church members ever came to help that poor man . Did they not see his tent . It was only a few hundred yards from the closest church . In an open field across from target . On land owned by the Bennett family . That poor man stated there for many months .
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
ifwisheswerehorses
Übergod

Post by ifwisheswerehorses »

You watched this man 24/7 so you can prove that no one from the church helped or tried. I'd of stayed for months as well if there was someone feeding and clothing me.
Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you’ll ever regret.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

ifwisheswerehorses wrote:You watched this man 24/7 so you can prove that no one from the church helped or tried. I'd of stayed for months as well if there was someone feeding and clothing me.

What a foolish comment . Of course I didn't walk back there every 5 minutes . It was only on dog walks I found this poor man . I met him because I thought he had broken into my truck . After talking with him I realized my mistake and helped the man. Thanks for being such an awesome helpful soul

ifwisheswerehorses
Übergod

Post by ifwisheswerehorses »

Jflem1983 wrote: Why do u think not one of the church members ever came to help that poor man .

So why would you say this? Other than the time you spent there it is unknown who else was trying to help or not. And yes I am helpful to others I just don't like the way you're accusing one group of not doing anything when you don't know exactly what's going on.
Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you’ll ever regret.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Well I did ask him Christmas night . When I was bringing him hot turkey dinner to his frozen tent
If any of the church people helped him . He said no

Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

I understand that you helped him and good on you for it. I just think it's unfair to suggest that the church isn't stepping up because this particular individual wasn't offered help when you have no idea what any church group, organization or individual church member does or doesn't contribute to the effort to help the homeless and others in need in the community.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

That's not fair . I know the churches do lots of good . Every older hospital in canada was built by the church

JollyGreenBully
Banned

Post by JollyGreenBully »

Lady tehMa wrote:Speaking from experience, some people will refuse help if they think it comes from a church.

I just wanted to say ^this. I've refused help from churches as have other people I know in need. I don't know if it's a widespread thing or not, but a lot of people just don't want anything to do with ANY church despite how desperate circumstances might be.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Would u elaborate on why sir

JollyGreenBully
Banned

Post by JollyGreenBully »

Jflem1983 wrote:Would u elaborate on why sir

Because of judgement. Yes, I know not all religious people are bad and judge others, but there really does seem to be a higher percentage of judgmental people who are in religious circles. Not to point fingers, but you yourself called gay people liberal whiners.

Years ago when I was more in need, I was offered help by a church here that promptly reminded me that homosexuality is a sin. When I argued against the ridiculous judgement, I was told I was a little kid who needed to read the Bible. I've heard similar stories from many many other people.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Fair enuff . Can't fault a man for standing on his beliefs
I have many times

stevemic
Fledgling

Post by stevemic »

You can say whatever you please,
as long as the Mods agree
jamapple
Übergod

Post by jamapple »

Jflem1983 wrote:Well I did ask him Christmas night . When I was bringing him hot turkey dinner to his frozen tent
If any of the church people helped him . He said no

You couldn't even have him in your home for one time on Christmas Day?? You took hot turkey to his "frozen" tent? If you were on such good terms with him, one would think you'd let him at least eat his dinner in the warmth of your home with a nice tree to look at. Sounds a little heartless to me, (or maybe you have some trust issues with this man)?

Return to “Social Concerns”