Churches not stepping up

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
southy
Lord of the Board

Re: Churches not stepping up

Post by southy »

Lady tehMa wrote:Well southy, if it didn't apply to you then I wasn't referring to you, was I? :up:

If you are being a realist, then you acknowledge the points being made by Fancy, Barney Google and myself. Correct?

:D ... nahhh - not worth it.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

nikonfan wrote:I have read the posts in this forum and there are a lot of misconceptions about what some churches do behind the scenes. Some of the comments in this forum are completely false and off base. The church I attend and the ones that I have attended are very pro community and we give thousands away to charities, causes and support. You are able to go into our church and ask to see the books but churches don't blow there own horn! They do things quietly and under the radar. Our church donates the building for different groups, memorial services, we collect for the food bank, we support Freedoms Door, Gospel Mission, Teen Challenge, we donated 10% right off the top of our building fund, we have supported new refuges in Canada, we support under privialaged children locally and across the globe. Most of the people in churches donate at least 10% of their income to these efforts and many give way more than that. If the churches pulled out of funding for these local places to help the under privileged it would be catastrophic! You might not agree with what the churches preach or whatever but don't knock a group of people who generously help out those in the community who need it the most. At least we are trying to do something not just whining about it in a forum.........maybe some on this site could pitch in 10% of there paycheque (every payday) to the foodbank, Freedoms Door, Gospel Mission and be part of the salution too.

This is the generalization that really bothers me .... how do you know who is donating to what???? Just because not everyone is drinking your Kool-Aid they are wrong???? One does not have to belong to a religious organization / your organization to do good.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

southy wrote:This is the generalizations that really bother me .... how do you know who is donating to what???? Just because not everyone is drinking your Kool-Aid they are wrong???? One does not have to belong to a religious organization to do good.
Kool-Aid??? There was no generalization in that post. Isn't it obvious from the first post that people who don't belong to religious organizations are doing good? And isn't it obvious from other posts churches are stepping up?
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Think I've had enough - getting back to reality!! Keep drinking the Kool Aid!!
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I suspect you are arguing just for the sake of arguing as you aren't qualifying your statements.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

southy wrote:Sorry to break the bubble but aren't photo ops a wonderful thing? Works in politics and works in religion.

What photo op?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

southy wrote:instead of creating small, feel good look at what we have done aren't we wonderful, great press opportunities

What press opportunities? An ad in a paper to advertise a book sale is common for many organizations.
miss_sterious
Fledgling

Post by miss_sterious »

I come from a strong Christian family and we are always taught that if we don't donate anonymously, we are not donating for the right reasons. I would be horrified if I were in the paper or online for a good deed, unless it were with the intent of letting people know about a service I am providing or helping to provide so that the less fortunate can take advantage of it. I think that this post does bring up a valuable point; perhaps should have more teams doing street outreach to actively draw people in to access the resources.
jamapple
Übergod

Post by jamapple »

Barney Google wrote:So we've got threads talking about kids not getting nutritious school lunches, over population of natives in our prisions,

churches not stepping up to help homeless, communities unable to meet the needs of abused and struggling individuals,

food banks that are seeing sky rocketing increases in client numbers, asylum seekers hitting our border communities that are

being overwhelmed, troubled teens and young adults struggling with mountains of issues, remote communities without food or

health care with limited basic resources, volunteer community groups worked to max with little to no funding...the threads

go on and on...yet our great Nation's Leaders see fit to sending millions of Canadian dollars overseas.

I'm sorry but I think that's just plain wrong.

I respectfully disagree. Our country, as ourselves have and will always give. By your very point, one would only give when they have paid all their bills, and possibly socked a little away for a rainy day. This, simply isn't true. 99.9% of people who give to charities do so knowing that they, too, can use that money, but out of kindness and thankfullness for what they do have, are compelled to do the right thing. If Canada, as a nation, only did chartitable deeds when we were all looked after first, Canada would never give another country a red cent. We'll never be in that position, so, please don't gripe about our nation, which is a free and giving one, giving to other countries that are way worse off then ourselves. I give to charities, knowing all well that at times I really could have used the money myself, but the feeling of knowing it went to help someone gave me the feeling of pride, and the value was way more then what I just handed someone in need.
Osoyoos_Familyof4
Board Meister

Post by Osoyoos_Familyof4 »

Jflem: I just wanted to say to you that your passion towards the care of yourself and others is noble with or without a spiritual identification. It isn't manditory that you "identify" with any organization, but sometimes it's a place to go to when you're vulnerable. The same can be had with good friends and family, but not all of us have that, and some of us need a spiritual path, and some of us don't.

You seem like you are a person with empathy and strength and I admire that you are on the road "searching" no matter where that road ends or merges. I encourage you to keep on the path of wellness, and seek out like minded people who are supportive and will encourage your passion and empathy for others.

You are appreciated for caring Jflem, and I wish for you the empathy you possess for others to be revisited upon you likewise. Enjoy your journey, and you are allowed to try things on to see how they fit.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Hey thank u
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Osoyoos_Familyof4
Board Meister

Post by Osoyoos_Familyof4 »

In regards to Canada supporting acts of charity outside our borders: I believe there is enough for in-country and out-of-country acts of humanity. We are very lucky and have won the luck lottery in this Nation. It is our responsibility to help our brothers and sisters globally as well as at home.

I believe our dilemma about "funding" has to do more with distributional BS and corporations and the extremely wealthy not paying their fair share, rather than not having "enough". Less bloated top-heavy government would be a start too.
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

jamapple wrote:
I respectfully disagree. Our country, as ourselves have and will always give. By your very point, one would only give when they have paid all their bills, and possibly socked a little away for a rainy day. This, simply isn't true. 99.9% of people who give to charities do so knowing that they, too, can use that money, but out of kindness and thankfullness for what they do have, are compelled to do the right thing. If Canada, as a nation, only did chartitable deeds when we were all looked after first, Canada would never give another country a red cent. We'll never be in that position, so, please don't gripe about our nation, which is a free and giving one, giving to other countries that are way worse off then ourselves. I give to charities, knowing all well that at times I really could have used the money myself, but the feeling of knowing it went to help someone gave me the feeling of pride, and the value was way more then what I just handed someone in need.

I agree with you wholeheartedly, JamApple!!...I wouldn't want Canada not contributing or supporting those outside our Nation.

I just believe we should be doing more for our own. Look at all the $$$ being spent for our Leaders to attend summits and

conferences when we all know it's their staff that actually does the work and our Leaders are just there as figure head reps.

Put the $$$ to real good use and quit frittering it away so a few can look good.

I also feel that our local churches and volunteers do a wonderful job at taking on the tasks that they do.

At times, I think, the politicians know when push comes to shove that our locals will take care of our own and have come to

expect volunteers and sponsors and donors to cover the costs that our government should, for the most part, be funding.

Through this insightfully sharing discussion I am really pleased to hear of how passionate so many are about this topic

and the respectful exchange of thought and dialogue is extremely heartwarming.

Sometimes, when you're 'in the trenches', you don't get the opportunity to hear of the tremendous work others do.

I'm planning on making a concerted effort to put more pressure on our local, provincial and federal representatives...

Squeaky Wheeling all the way.
Last edited by Barney Google on Mar 21st, 2017, 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

Canadians have just learned that our PM's trip to the Bahamas cost Canadian Taxpayers 127+K...I know a few programs

that could have benefited from that kind of funding...
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Kelowna the focus seems to be on keeping the homeless addicted . There is zero effort made to get people working . Just more naloxone .

I'm talking about interior health for the most part not local church groups.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"

Return to “Social Concerns”