Raising taxes

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Jflem1983
Guru

Re: Raising taxes

Post by Jflem1983 »

Need to cut more programs . Get the books in order . There are so many subsidies hand outs grants . Etc etc . The real problem is entitlement . People feel they are entitled to go fill up the ER with nose bleeds and overdoses . People feel entitled to free food at the food bank . People feel entitled to a lot of things . The elderly should be cared for 100 percent . They built this country . Guys my age . Should not be on welfare or looking for handouts . The problem is entitlment
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.4032946

Spending 15 million tax dollars to promote a private political party does not help.
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

I am in favor of consumptive taxes, such as GST, PST, rather than personal income taxes. This puts more of the onus on those who can afford to spend, or spend more. If you can afford a luxury vehicle, you should pay more taxes. If you are living on limited income, and most of that is essentials like food and rent, then you should pay far less in taxes. Taxing persona income discourages people from making and saving when we are supposedly wanting people to get a job, and provide for themselves, their families, their retirement. We really shouldn't have much (if any) of an income tax, if the consumptive taxes were working as they should.
I also think that if marijuana had been legalized and regulated as promised it would have provided a nice little boost to taxes. but perhaps another topic for another thread.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Jflem1983 wrote:Need to cut more programs . Get the books in order . There are so many subsidies hand outs grants . Etc etc . The real problem is entitlement . People feel they are entitled to go fill up the ER with nose bleeds and overdoses . People feel entitled to free food at the food bank . People feel entitled to a lot of things . The elderly should be cared for 100 percent . They built this country . Guys my age . Should not be on welfare or looking for handouts . The problem is entitlment

I don't think people go to the ER with nosebleeds.
People fee entitled to free food at the food bank, because that is what it is there for.
The elderly should be cared for, by their families, and by their savings for their retirement.
My parents built this country, and relied on their savings, pension and family, not on government to pay for their care (except medical of course).
I do think there should be more programs to help able bodied people get back to work. Most people can do this, but some just won't get in gear without help.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

I took student loans to go to college . 11 of my classmates . Class of 12 . We're on employment insurance grants . I feel that was wrong . I should have explained my position a little better .
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Jflem1983 wrote:I took student loans to go to college . 11 of my classmates . Class of 12 . We're on employment insurance grants . I feel that was wrong . I should have explained my position a little better .

That's great that you were able to get loans to go to college. We had two of our three teens in post secondary at the same time, and applied for student loans, which were denied. Argument being our income was too high. Income was high because we had to cash in savings to meet the astronomical costs of having two in courses at the same time (and of course still all the normal costs for those of us at home). Now I could say at this point that your loan was wrong, because my kids couldn't get them, but I won't. I think any programs which help young people attain productive work are good programs. I paid my own way with virtually no help from my parents when I was in school, but that doesn't mean I believe everyone should have to do that.
I think part of the purpose of employment insurance programs, is to help those out of work retrain or upgrade especially during slow work periods. Most of them have paid into it, or they wouldn't be on employment insurance, so logically they should get some benefit from it.
khutchi
Fledgling

Post by khutchi »

oldtrucker wrote:I have not seen who has been nominated to run for the NDP here.(Anyone know who?).

Laughed at how long it took (7 responses) for anyone to help this guy out and answer his question. Here's the NDP candidates:

Erik Olesen: Kelowna-Lake country
Shelley Cook: Kelowna-West

http://www.kelownadailycourier.ca/image ... c0505.html
"History is like a slingshot... the more you go back, the further you'll go."
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

khutchi wrote:Erik Olesen: Kelowna-Lake country

He is not listed on the NDP website...https://www.bcndp.ca/team

It says a candidate for Kelowna, Lake Country has not been determined yet.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Erik Olesen said Monday he has been accepted by party officials as a candidate.

The NDP nomination meeting for Kelowna-Lake Country is at 7 p.m. March 23 at the BCGEU office, 1064 Borden Ave.
All party members can attend, but only those who’ve been accepted previously by NDP officials as prospective candidates could challenge Olesen for the nomination.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Harwinder Sandhu and Erik Olesen were acclaimed at a nomination meeting Thursday.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#192526
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Jflem1983 wrote:The real problem is entitlement . People feel they are entitled to go fill up the ER with nose bleeds and overdoses.

Where should the people who have overdosed go? If paramedics are called, they would likely take them to the ER, wouldn't they?
I don't think it is entitlement but, rather, standard operating procedure. It has nothing to do with entitlement.....

As for nosebleeds, if there is an excessive nose bleed, I would think that heading to emergency would be the appropriate thing to do. It may be indicative of something more serious.
I'm not sure there are stats to back up people going to ER for random, small nosebleeds.

If our current system is set up to allow (entitle) people to use medical services for medical needs, then I guess people feel a valid entitlement. What you are likely suggesting is that if someone is "responsible" for their condition, eg. an overdose, then they should not be able to access emergency medical services.
However, that would also apply to accidents for those at fault, people who contract illnesses from not washing their hands around sick people etc.
Imagine paramedics at an accident scene trying to determine fault instantly so they know who to treat and who to leave dying in their car. That's a lot of responsibility for them. :135:
You and 71 others Like this post

Return to “Social Concerns”