Easy way to quit being overweight

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Easy way to quit being overweight

Post by Silverstarqueen »

The only diet that worked for me was lo carb hi protein and fat. I lost 20 lbs in about the first month, 10 pounds after that. Never had to go hungry. I am no good at dieting if I am hungry.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

Its a math problem.

Calories in vs Calories out.
Learn your numbers change your numbers.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Thinktank wrote:A prize to anyone who can solve the problem half of Canadians have - we're too fat.

Nobody needs a prize - there's hundreds of pages on google that show people have solved the problem.
http://www.shape.com/weight-loss/succes ... ories-2013
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/12/1 ... 90628.html
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

Back in the 80's and 90's I was at the gym regularly..........in the fall I would put on about 20 lbs. and come March, loose the 20 lbs. Back in my 20's, 30's the weight loss every spring was easy. Once I was in my mid mid 40's the weight loss in the spring became more difficult simply from your metabolism slowing down as you get older. At this point of my life and my workouts I kept my weight more even year round. Once I decided to stop doing the gym workouts I decided to get back into cycling (not competitive) for my exercise. By the time 50 rolled around the weight gain became a battle and when 10 or 20 lbs. needed to come off, it was a struggle. THEN my doctor told me to cut out 3 things........ rice, potatoes and pasta........eat as much meat, fish and vegetables as you want.......have a pizza on the weekends. In one month 15 lbs. came off and I was anything but hungry. This still works today for me although it seems to be easier when the weather is nicer.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I've mentioned this to Thinktank before:
The Mediterranean diet emphasizes:

Eating primarily plant-based foods, such as fruits and vegetables, whole grains, legumes and nuts
Replacing butter with healthy fats such as olive oil and canola oil
Using herbs and spices instead of salt to flavor foods
Limiting red meat to no more than a few times a month
Eating fish and poultry at least twice a week
Enjoying meals with family and friends
Drinking red wine in moderation (optional)
Getting plenty of exercise
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

Hassel99 wrote:Its a math problem.

Calories in vs Calories out.
Learn your numbers change your numbers.

If it were that easy, everyone would do that, I would do that. For me the problem is hunger, if I eat fewer calories, i get so hungry, I just end up wanting to eat more. However if I eat low carb, my appetite normalizes and I am only as hungry as I need to be to live, and I lose weight too. So for those who can eat less and function fine, good on them. I tried eating less, and just found my energy levels ground to a complete halt, and I wasn't losing much weight. So I do need to function in the meantime.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

Skinny people think it's as simple as eating less and exercising more.

It was June 2013 that I successfully lost about 15 lbs. Now I have to do it again. It's not easy.

But two of my friends are 70 lbs overweight, and two others are 40 lbs overweight. It's a serious problem
in Canada.
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

Since this thread turned serious (I thought think tank was being rhetorical and satirical; north America is fat)

Simple and complex carbs:
Simple carbs (generally anything white- rice, potatoes, pasta) metabolize or break down quickly into sugars which are used as fuel.

Complex carbs (generally anything Brown - whole wheat breads, Brown rice, whole wheat pasta) take longer to metabolize and still converted to sugar.

Complex carbs are the way to go. Think of it like burning ethanol in Indy cars vs diesel in a truck- ethanol burns extremely fast but is exhausted quickly while diesel burns slower but burns longer.

The sugars from simple carbs are the same way, quick energy but depletes quickly while complex carbs burn slower but last for the long haul.
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Most importantly, get some thin parents.

Not kidding, genetics plays an extremely large role in body type, some thinner people can say its diet and exercise but eat like pigs and sit on their butt all day and never gain a pound. As long as your healthy and do some light cardio on a daily basis a few extra pounds isn't such a bad thing. In my opinion the mirror and the scale aren't as important as enjoying life and we should all worry more about the quality of our food, not the calories they contain.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Thinktank's threads and ideas behind them often sink people into the morass of having to evaluate an answer before posting.

Quit being overweight?
Quit being under active!
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Thinktank wrote:Skinny people think it's as simple as eating less and exercising more.
Fat people can do it if they put their mind to it. Even Dr. Younan Nowzaradan says so.
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

another thing to cut out is Gluten....bread really packs it on
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I make it a policy not to eat bread(s) after 5 pm. Don't know if it helps, but I just don't.

And fresh food is going to be growing soon! Raised garden beds are where it's at. What to lose weight? Start gardening.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Drank a case of beer on an empty stomach. Lost five pounds
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

A new study has found teens who have a "couch potato" lifestyle risk having permanent negative effects on their bone health.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#192532

Queen K wrote:Quit being overweight?
Quit being under active!

I quit being overweight because of injuries which is the same reason I quit being under active. Now that the snow's gone, it's a great time to get out and walk off those pounds. Borrow a dog if you need company.

Return to “Social Concerns”