Easy way to quit being overweight

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Poindexter
Guru

Re: Easy way to quit being overweight

Post by Poindexter »

Fancy wrote: Borrow a dog if you need company.

So agree. A dog is much better than a fitness membership because it's alot harder to ignore that wagging tail than a card in your wallet. Another advantage is it's an easy daily habit to get into that's free and enjoyable. I have yet to take my dog on a walk and come home saying, "well, that was a bad idea". I always feel better after a walk, everyone does and dogs know this instinctively. It's just us humans that seem to need an excuse to get some fresh air and for me the ear to ear grin on my dog when she hears the rattle of the leash provides me that excuse every day.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Easiest way to lose weight . Be so broke u can't afford to eat. Works for most ☻
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

That's a great looking burger!
Reduce stress, enjoy life, get out of the house and off da butt.
Congratulations on losing weight... I think it is awesome you are growing veges!
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Jlabute wrote:Congratulations on losing weight... I think it is awesome you are growing veges!

Who are you referring to?
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Jflem1983 wrote:Easiest way to lose weight . Be so broke u can't afford to eat. Works for most ☻

[icon_lol2.gif]

I know that's just hyperbole but even being broke isn't going to help the waistline these days. Junk comes in bulk where as good whole food is expensive. You can feed a large family hot dogs and frozen pizza for very little where as a nice peice of fish, whole grain rice and fresh salad will set you back a fair bit. It also takes more effort to prepare and with both spouses working full time combined with kid's busy schedules these days, alot of families are stretched thin for time. Didn't always seem to be this way but easy to prepare, cheap processed food has become more of a necessity than a choice for many struggling financially.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

Regularly lifting a mug of beer is good exercise.
Black Dogs Matter
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Try to change hands or you'll end up looking like an ice cream server.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Everyone has different metabolism. I'm on the road a lot, I'll admit that my eating habits are poor right now - way too much fast food, lots of bread, very little exercise - everything that people avoid to try to stay thin - yet I'm thin. My heart is probably about to stop - but not because I'm packing the pounds on.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Osoyoos_Familyof4
Board Meister

Post by Osoyoos_Familyof4 »

I'm dealing with a pretty gnarly illness at this time. It has been a chronic condition for many years, but at the moment it's very acute and quite debilitating.

Anyway, I have a surgeon who formerly did bariatric surgery tell me that without question it isn't calories in and calories out! If I ate more than 1500 calories on any given day I'd be shocked, yet here I am overweight. The SURGEON who is attending to me who has a specialty in this area (although not doing bariatrics at this time) told me that genetics for burning calories efficiently is everything. And that one person's body can process calories in a significantly better way than others. I have been gaming weight steadily over the last 2 years being sick at never more than 1500 calories a day. And yes, my physical exercise is lacking because of illness, It's not like I don't move and do stuff.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Calories in and calories out doesn't mean keep decreasing caloric intake.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

If you can't loose weight on crack , do meth....
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
RustyCrayon
Board Meister

Post by RustyCrayon »

Poindexter wrote:
Fancy wrote: Borrow a dog if you need company.

So agree. A dog is much better than a fitness membership because it's alot harder to ignore that wagging tail than a card in your wallet. Another advantage is it's an easy daily habit to get into that's free and enjoyable. I have yet to take my dog on a walk and come home saying, "well, that was a bad idea". I always feel better after a walk, everyone does and dogs know this instinctively. It's just us humans that seem to need an excuse to get some fresh air and for me the ear to ear grin on my dog when she hears the rattle of the leash provides me that excuse every day.

I agree! I adopted a dog a few years ago and lost 12 pounds in a month. He's a great companion and the walks are good for both of us, both physically and mentally. I don't always feel like going, but once I'm out, I'm glad I went. We go on hikes in the woods, nature and fresh air are good for the body and mind. I can take time to do a lot of thinking without all the usual distractions.

As for weight loss...Low carb. Avoiding bread, starch, pasta, rice, sugary and processed foods seems to work for me. I'm working on getting rid of a little winter weight right now. I've stopped eating those things since Tuesday and have already lost 2.5 lbs. I'm eating plenty and not hungry. Different things work for different people though.
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

I think that there's an important distinction to be made between being overweight, and being unhealthy.

Aside from that, I stumbled on very good advice in a cooking documentary (I don't remember which one, or who said it) that basically encourages anybody to eat anything and as much of it as their heart desires. The catch is that you have to make it all from scratch, and you won't do that. Even cookies that you make from scratch are going to be "better" for you than the ones in a grocery store.

For myself, I rarely if ever eat any processed foods at all. I make everything from scratch for every lunch and every dinner - except maybe twice a month - including the odd dessert. I use the best ingredients that I can afford, much like others should, but I spend the extra time that it takes to make nutritious, delicious meals.

Now granted, I have an extensive passion for cooking and food science, and even then it does occasionally get tiresome, but like anything else, I feel like it's something that I have to do.

Honestly though, it's not a massive time commitment to poach salmon in a court bullion with some steamed broccoli or asparagus and some roast veggies.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I was raised on both, processed and home scratch. I learned early that a working parent is a tired parent who can not do everything all the time.

Having said that, my tolerance for processed has decreased over the years and we cook a lot from scratch. The other day we opened a can of Campbells Mushroom Soup, a mainstay when I was growing up. It was delicious. Now? I can taste their chemistry so badly that the metallic taste stays in my mouth forever. Feels like forever anyway.

Soup from scratch is something we do all the time, but when the blahs hit and you just want to open something? What is left when your childhood soups taste like metals?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

and salt - lots of salt and metal. I still eat the stuff once in a while but doesn't taste near as good like you said.

Return to “Social Concerns”