Deer Cull

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Deer Cull

Post by Lady tehMa »

Today's Poll reads:
Do you support culling city habituated deer?

In Regards to this article https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/193026/15-deer-culled-butchered

The City of Cranbrook in southeastern B.C. says it destroyed 15 habituated deer during a cull carried out in January and early February.

A city news release says it could have removed as many as 100 deer during the fifth cull conducted under permits issued by the provincial government.

Thirteen mule deer and two white tail deer were euthanized after being caught in baited boxes known as clover traps.

The above was the comment under the poll question. The below is the actual article:

The City of Cranbrook in southeastern B.C. says it destroyed 15 habituated deer during a cull carried out in January and early February.

A city news release says it could have removed as many as 100 deer during the fifth cull conducted under permits issued by the provincial government.

Thirteen mule deer and two white tail deer were euthanized after being caught in baited boxes known as clover traps.

The city says the traps were placed in specific Cranbrook neighbourhoods, based on results of a recent tally of urban deer, as well as public complaints about problem animals.

Nearly 400 kilograms of professionally butchered meat was distributed to local organizations after the cull was complete.

The release says management of Cranbrook's urban deer population through culling and public education remains a city priority.

So - does the poll question seem weighted to you? If you don't go look for the article you won't be privy to additional information. Information which could have easily been added . . .

If the deer are getting dangerous, and local organizations (hopefully food banks included!) are getting free meat, why not?
I haven't failed until I quit.
Jflem1983
Guru

Re: Deer Cull

Post by Jflem1983 »

Got a ten pack of deer in my neighborhood . The sleep in the gully . I'd be happy if it was only a 5 pack . Just saying. It's a lot of deer to be eating cedars and crossing the busy road . Cpl get hit a year. It has not thinned the herd . My dogs like the deer . They get quite excited
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

OK I'll be honest . My hound . If she sees a deer . She will bark like crazy for an hr . I guess I would sacrifice a few deer for less barking and less accidents
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

Jflem1983 wrote:Got a ten pack of deer in my neighborhood . The sleep in the gully . I'd be happy if it was only a 5 pack . Just saying. It's a lot of deer to be eating cedars and crossing the busy road . Cpl get hit a year. It has not thinned the herd . My dogs like the deer . They get quite excited

I know the ones that come through my area don't look like decent eating, and poaching is wrong, but now and then one might picture it in my freezer. Have venison a lot less since moving out here from Sask.
OldIslander
Board Meister

Post by OldIslander »

Southern Vancouver island here -- the urban deer issue is extremely annoying. We have blacktail deer, that can jump a six foot fence like it isn't even there. In our community, it is pretty much a waste of time to try to garden -- the deer move through the yards like they're visiting a salad bar at a smorgasbord. Only plants protected by sturdy mesh or in a greenhouse are safe. A cull has been proposed by several communities around Victoria, but howls of protest generally end the matter. Oak Bay is spending $40K to radio-tag several deer, and will learn that they wander around a lot. But they can tell their citizens that they're doing something. The deer are not stupid -- they are here because there are no natural predators, and there are thousands of gardens in which to sleep, browse and dine. I'd be in favour of a cull in our community, but it ain't never gonna happen. :-X

On the Saanich Peninsula, the deer (and geese...) cause hundreds of thousands of dollars damage to farmers' properties and crops. There is some quiet, unpublicized culling taking place there. :200:
“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.” Ernest Benn
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Thank u Rdco for not wanting to GPS tracking deer . Also thank you for all the support Rdco has given Okanagan Forest Task Force. Rae Stewart you are a good lady

Notmyproblem?

Post by Notmyproblem? »

Why don't they go back where they come from!
Oh, I forgot, we're living on their land. As we build our houses further into the forest the deer (and coyotes, wolves, bears, etc.) all pay the ultimate price. How dare they interfere with how and where I want to live. We see the wild creatures around us as disposable, so enjoy the view today for they might not be here tomorrow.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Notmyproblem? wrote:Why don't they go back where they come from!
Oh, I forgot, we're living on their land. As we build our houses further into the forest the deer (and coyotes, wolves, bears, etc.) all pay the ultimate price. How dare they interfere with how and where I want to live. We see the wild creatures around us as disposable, so enjoy the view today for they might not be here tomorrow.

How's the granola this morning? :130:

Yes, the poor deer. The poor animals who's population has exploded to record breaking numbers. Yes, that's right - if you'd educate yourself you'd know that deer have NEVER had it so good! It's the predators who are challenged, especially in urban areas where a CO is called the second someone spots a wolf or cougar.

I fully support culls backed by science and population analysis. I just ask that the meat be put to good use. While it's a shame they must be disposed of, let's try and get a silver lining out of it. Feed the hungry, avoid the slaughter of a cow or a deer out in the bush, etc.
coolworx
Fledgling

Post by coolworx »

Wood rats were meant to be eaten.
Mmmm Mmmmmm Good!
Lore
Übergod

Post by Lore »

Notmyproblem? wrote:Why don't they go back where they come from!

Agree with you totally but I bet we are in the minority.
I have had people telling me that the deer are eating their plants and the first
thing they want is to have them culled. Buy fricken netting you lazy bleeps.
We have to coexist with nature/animals. After all we are entering their territories.
Selfish self centered man get a grip, its not all about you all the time.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Lore wrote:We have to coexist with nature/animals. After all we are entering their territories.

You know what happens to a large group of herd animals when they are given ample food and are protected from predators right? Are you sure that's being kind and co-existing?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Lore wrote:Agree with you totally but I bet we are in the minority.
I have had people telling me that the deer are eating their plants and the first
thing they want is to have them culled. Buy fricken netting you lazy bleeps.
We have to coexist with nature/animals. After all we are entering their territories.

When the deer are attacking people and pets and causing accidents, it's time to do something. The whole city can't be netted.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Lore
Übergod

Post by Lore »

Fancy wrote:When the deer are attacking people and pets and causing accidents, it's time to do something. The whole city can't be netted.

No where in the story does it say that is what is happening.
OldIslander
Board Meister

Post by OldIslander »

Lore wrote:
Fancy wrote:When the deer are attacking people and pets and causing accidents, it's time to do something. The whole city can't be netted.

No where in the story does it say that is what is happening.

The topic is "Deer Cull". Please show us the rule stating that we are only allowed to use information from the OP's attached article.

Google is your friend. Google these 3 words: cranbrook deer attack, and you will see that it is indeed happening -- all over the province. Substitute other city names for many similar stories.
“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.” Ernest Benn
Lore
Übergod

Post by Lore »

OldIslander wrote:
The topic is "Deer Cull". Please show us the rule stating that we are only allowed to use information from the OP's attached article.

Google is your friend. Google these 3 words: cranbrook deer attack, and you will see that it is indeed happening -- all over the province. Substitute other city names for many similar stories.

Like I said, no where in the story does it say that is what is happening.
If the deer were attacking it would say that piece of info for sure.
They were probably eating people's plants and we can't have that.
Hey, how about you google deer eating plants and see how much you will find
because "google is your friend" don't you know.

Return to “Social Concerns”