Bosses who scream and yell at you...what to do?

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast

Re: Bosses who scream and yell at you...what to do?

Post by WeatherWoman »

ifwisheswerehorses wrote:If the boss is really losing control, swearing etc it can fall under bullying/harrassment and a legitimate complaint can be filed. I'd file one with the employer and then start a file with the labour board.

Worksafe BC...fill out the form
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

I thought of this boss right away when I saw this story:

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#194067
A 20 year-old man has a court date next month after a rough first day on the job.
Police say officers were called to a Barrie, Ont., fast food restaurant on Saturday to look into a reported altercation between a new employee and his manager.
Investigators say the man had his first day on Saturday and was getting training from the store manager.
It is  believed the store manager was punched in the face after correcting the new employee during his shift.
Police say the man ran from the restaurant before police arrived on scene and the manager only had minor injuries.
The man turned himself in on Sunday and is charged with assault.

If only you could get the screamer boss to hire this 20 yr old. The rest of the staff's cheering would clue him into his problem pretty quickly.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Oh yes, yelling is wrong, but punching people is perfectly fine.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Bosses who loose their temper also loose respect and become ineffective. Best thing to do is wait them out as thier days are typically numbered once employees start tuning them out and their antics become a workplace joke.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Even Steven wrote:Oh yes, yelling is wrong, but punching people is perfectly fine.

I'm sad you failed to pick up the improbability and therefore jest of the news story. A dark sense of humour, yes, but do not be naïve, there are hundreds (if not thousands) of people who have daydreamed about witnessing such a thing, and make use of dark humour to mitigate rage.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

Even Steven wrote:Oh yes, yelling is wrong, but punching people is perfectly fine.

In my household as a child, yelling was the same as hitting. "Using your voice with violence".

Self defence? Joking.
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
artistwithaflare
Board Meister

Post by artistwithaflare »

Poindexter wrote:Bosses who loose their temper also loose respect and become ineffective. Best thing to do is wait them out as thier days are typically numbered once employees start tuning them out and their antics become a workplace joke.

I agree but in regards to my friends situation...his boss is also the owner. :-X
Just say it as it is!
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

artistwithaflare wrote:Bosses who scream & yell at their employees verses having a productive conversation... :-X
Any advice ?
...besides look for another job. :135: :biggrin:

Boss being the owner of the establishment? That's a horse of a different color.

If reasonable and rational conversation is not 'doable"'...then seeking employment elsewhere is the only other choice.

As business owners it's his/her business...they can do what they want with it. However if he/she has no employees and

needs them to be successful in business then he/she will eventually learn what it takes to keep employees.

Growing up I had many horrid bosses, and teachers/instructors, yelling was quite the norm...I learned to get a very thick

skin. Lol.

Yelling usually stems from frustration and or stress...sometimes employees can be frustrating when they don't work

as employers would like. Whose problem is that? Both the employer and the employee. Respectful communication

and sharing of concerns usually resolves the angst.
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

It really depends on the owner. A lot of times they run things like a family business and we all know how sometimes we can be a little careless with our words around family. If it's a job that they enjoy the owner may be receptive to feedback as they might not realize the effect they have on what they may perceive as a happy family. If they're just a jerk and unlikely to get better then steal some stationary and get the hell out of there. :biggrin:
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
artistwithaflare
Board Meister

Post by artistwithaflare »

Barney Google wrote:
artistwithaflare wrote:Bosses who scream & yell at their employees verses having a productive conversation... :-X
Any advice ?
...besides look for another job. :135: :biggrin:

Boss being the owner of the establishment? That's a horse of a different color.

If reasonable and rational conversation is not 'doable"'...then seeking employment elsewhere is the only other choice.

As business owners it's his/her business...they can do what they want with it. However if he/she has no employees and

needs them to be successful in business then he/she will eventually learn what it takes to keep employees.

Growing up I had many horrid bosses, and teachers/instructors, yelling was quite the norm...I learned to get a very thick

skin. Lol.

Yelling usually stems from frustration and or stress...sometimes employees can be frustrating when they don't work

as employers would like. Whose problem is that? Both the employer and the employee. Respectful communication

and sharing of concerns usually resolves the angst.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Interesting feedback!
However....
Telling the victim its their fault and they need to develop thick skin just seems wrong to me! :smt045
Respectful communication steams from being educated & professional. :up:
Just say it as it is!

Return to “Social Concerns”