Bosses who scream and yell at you...what to do?

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
What_the
Übergod

Re: Bosses who scream and yell at you...what to do?

Post by What_the »

Good old timer advice, of which I am also part of, not quite there, in between ;).

First question. What discipline are you? Or, what industry? And what specifically is the problem? Besides a "dick" boss, they never go away...even when one is self employed, there's always someone to answer to.
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Well knowing from experience u have 2 choices
. Put up with it . Until u find a better job . Or quit now and do something else
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

artistwithaflare wrote:Bosses who scream & yell at their employees verses having a productive conversation... :-X
Any advice ?
...besides look for another job. :135: :biggrin:
Tough one and have been the brunt of abuse myself. I stuck it out but stuck up for myself at the same time and believe me that was hard. Sometimes time helps - the "abuser" gives up or has an epiphany (happens). Sometimes the yeller doesn't know they are doing that. Diffuse the situation if possible by any means necessary. Or wear ear plugs.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

Jflem1983 wrote:Well knowing from experience u have 2 choices
. Put up with it . Until u find a better job . Or quit now and do something else

Well, yes and no. There's too many unknowns to give any specific guidance. I don't know everything. I don't know anything lol
I won't stop learning until I die.
In this case I might have have something to offer, but it s like telling a framer how to do carpentry....
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Have you considered looking at yourself first to see if there's a reason why your boss is displaying displeasure with you?
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

Even Steven wrote:Have you considered looking at yourself first to see if there's a reason why your boss is displaying displeasure with you?

Yelling isn't displaying displeasure. It's losing control of your emotions and behaving like a baby and violently.

It's not to OP's fault their boss is emotionally handicapped.
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

There is no solution except for leaving. I did that at my last job and am much happier now. Good luck!
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Atomoa wrote:Yelling isn't displaying displeasure. It's losing control of your emotions and behaving like a baby and violently. It's not to OP's fault their boss is emotionally handicapped.

We only have one side of the story. Some people tend to be overly dramatic and see yelling and bullying where the opposing party is simply being stern and raising their voice even by a few decibels. The boss firmly tells the guy to quit screwing around and pull the head out of the *bleep*, and the overly dramatic employee runs away sobbing "OMG, start bullying me, my boss is such a sociopath!".

Or I might be wrong, who knows. In which case I don't think I'd be staying there much longer.

Just trying to show a different perspective.
Last edited by Even Steven on Apr 8th, 2017, 11:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
artistwithaflare
Board Meister

Post by artistwithaflare »

Even Steven wrote:Have you considered looking at yourself first to see if there's a reason why your boss is displaying displeasure with you?

============================================================================================================
His boss yells at everyone!!! :-X
Last edited by artistwithaflare on Apr 6th, 2018, 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Just say it as it is!
artistwithaflare
Board Meister

Even Steven wrote:
Atomoa wrote:Yelling isn't displaying displeasure. It's losing control of your emotions and behaving like a baby and violently. It's not to OP's fault their boss is emotionally handicapped.

We only have one side of the story. Some people tend to be overly dramatic (artists especially) and see yelling and bullying where the opposing party is simply being stern and raising their voice even by a few decibels. The boss firmly tells the guy to quit screwing around and pull the head out of the *bleep*, and the overly dramatic employee runs away sobbing "OMG, start bullying me, my boss is such a sociopath!".

Or I might be wrong, who knows. In which case I don't think I'd be staying there much longer.

=========================================================================================================

Yes, there is always two sides to every story and then there is the truth! :topic:

Truth is, most folks can handle constructive criticism but its hard to take it in when someone is violently screaming at you and calling you names. That is professionalism at its worse....and, if he does it to everyone then I would say its not a targeted event and a failure to communicate. :smt045
Just say it as it is!
artistwithaflare
Board Meister

Even Steven wrote:

We only have one side of the story. Some people tend to be overly dramatic and see yelling and bullying where the opposing party is simply being stern and raising their voice even by a few decibels. The boss firmly tells the guy to quit screwing around and pull the head out of the *bleep*, and the overly dramatic employee runs away sobbing "OMG, start bullying me, my boss is such a sociopath!".

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are always 2 sides to every story and then there is the truth!

If your boss screams and yells at everyone...
If your staff turn around is big and people quit left and right...becasue of that fact.
Then I would say its time to address the problem.
Screaming & yelling never gets you anywhere.
You can be thick skinned but sooner or latter any form of abuse can wear you down.
Just say it as it is!
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

artistwithaflare wrote:Truth is, most folks can handle constructive criticism but its hard to take it in when someone is violently screaming at you and calling you names.

I remember on one of my first shifts in construction, I forgot to wear a helmet on site. My immediate supervisor yelled "Hey, doofus, don't catch me doing this again!" and threw a hard hat at me hard enough to almost knock me to the ground.

Violence? Check.
Screaming? Check.
Calling me names? Check.
Was it really necessary? Triple check.

But I learned the lesson, always took safety seriously since then, and it could have saved my health. And I was doing the exact same thing to newbies down the road. Or I could have run away screaming "OMG, I'm being bullied, stop yelling at me and communicate like I'm a human being!".

Sometimes it's appropriate. Sometimes it's not.
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

Even Steven wrote:Some people tend to be overly dramatic and see yelling and bullying where the opposing party is simply being stern and raising their voice even by a few decibels. The boss firmly tells the guy to quit screwing around and pull the head out of the *bleep*, and the overly dramatic employee runs away sobbing "OMG, start bullying me, my boss is such a sociopath!".

Fair enough, but anyone "raising their voice" even by a few decibels is trying to physically assert dominance or discipline. The only time raising a voice is appropriate is if someone is in danger. Remember my ATM thing? (ha - groan)

When I was a kid I was playing in my Grandfathers woodshop and messed a bunch of tools up and made a huge mess. He didn't yell or smack me. He told me he was disappointed in me and I could see it on his face even as a kid and it killed me. I looked up to him.

Any employer that has to lead by fear/intimidation doesn't deserve a gram of respect and obviously the OP needs to move on. True leaders lead by example and earn the respect of their employees. So many people are corrupted by greed and put in desperate situations due to our dysfunctional and self-defeating economic model that many people have learned to internalize, justify and accept abuse and bad behaviour from employers because they have so few economic choices.

I'm just sticking up for the worker, comrade.
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

Family member (young) has worked at the same small family run business for close to 3 years. I told her when she started that a small business owner has a lot of "ups and downs"...........moneys coming in = HAPPY.........business is slow meaning less money coming in = A$$hole. The owner has displayed this repeatedly. He is the type of owner that shows up periodically and in these short encounters has given out some cash, Rockets tickets or even thanked her when he is in a good mood OR has called someone to the side and flipped out. Hard to quit when he is paying a somewhat decent wage WELL above minimum. When this job is said and done (soon), she will have come out of it with a stronger mindset that will help in the future and the true career.

A lot of small business's here in Kelowna (usually overpriced specialty shops that you see very few customers in) that have one or two employees can have owners that are more even tempered creating a laid-back work atmosphere. This because the owners have another business that makes the REAL money and their "hobby" business is something for a bored wife to occupy her time.

HD Hardware is a place that does not yell, which is a plus.........you just have to understand that you will NEVER be thanked for ANYTHING from a supervisor or assistant manager no matter how well of a job you have done or BEYOND your job description. There were a couple of supervisors there that would side with you but NEVER in front of a higher up.
Troutslayer

Post by Troutslayer »

quit.........plain and simple find an employ that respects your contribution......!

Return to “Social Concerns”