Tenant Insurance

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
W105
Guru

Tenant Insurance

Post by W105 »

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#193983

I feel very bad for this Family, but WHY ?? didn't they have Tenant insurance ??
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Re: Tenant Insurance

Post by Hmmm »

W105 wrote:https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-193983-61-.htm#193983

I feel very bad for this Family, but WHY ?? didn't they have Tenant insurance ??

Because some people feel $50 a month is to much for something they may never need? Or they were going to, but didn't get a round tuit? Them square ones won't work the same.

I do feel bad they are this situation, but please, please, please, if you are reading this and don't have insurance buy it tomorrow. if you don't and you end up losing everything, go fund yourself.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

one can buy a basic tenant package for as little as $20 per mth (easy to find on google)
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Well before we go bashing them for not having insurance it wouldn't cover this anyway!

"According to the Insurance Bureau of Canada, flood insurance is unavailable to homeowners in BC because it would not be cost effective. Generally, only those who live in high risk areas are willing to pay for flood insurance, which means that insurance premiums would be extremely costly for homeowners. Flood insurance would only be feasible for insurers if more people were willing to pay for it, thus smoothing out the mix of high and low risk policy holders, making it a more viable product for insurance providers."
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
forumdoug
Übergod

Post by forumdoug »

W105 wrote:one can buy a basic tenant package for as little as $20 per mth (easy to find on google)

Underwritten by a Canadian insurer or are policies underwritten and/or marketed outside of Canada directly to, or inclusive of, Canadians still legally valid? In which case, it, presumably, means a bit more on due diligence in terms of determining if the insurer is legally constituted and where it is regulated and by whom. :)

My grandma's tenant insurance for something like $10-15,000 in coverage costs $100 per year and I thought that was expensive if they can be had for $50 or even $20 per year. Hers is through Intact, I believe. :(

Cheers,
Doug
forumdoug
Übergod

Post by forumdoug »

Oh nevermind, you said $20-50 per month? How much coverage is that? That seems expensive considering full house insurance packages are available for $70-90 per month at the lower end. :)

Cheers,
Doug
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

Bsuds wrote:Well before we go bashing them for not having insurance it wouldn't cover this anyway!

"According to the Insurance Bureau of Canada, flood insurance is unavailable to homeowners in BC because it would not be cost effective. Generally, only those who live in high risk areas are willing to pay for flood insurance, which means that insurance premiums would be extremely costly for homeowners. Flood insurance would only be feasible for insurers if more people were willing to pay for it, thus smoothing out the mix of high and low risk policy holders, making it a more viable product for insurance providers."

Landslide is not flood, but alas landslide is excluded from vast majority insurance polices in Canada.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I'm also thinking that a great many areas are not covered by any insurance, would Sunnybrea Road be one of them? It's a very isolated area, we've driven down that road many times.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Mud and water both require a separate rider which most people don't have because of the cost.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

I'd been on my own for a couple of years before I knew tenant insurance was even a thing.

Sure, it was on me to educate myself, but if you don't know, you don't know.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

JayByrd wrote:I'd been on my own for a couple of years before I knew tenant insurance was even a thing.

Sure, it was on me to educate myself, but if you don't know, you don't know.

The first few years I was on my own I didn't have anything worth paying for insurance to cover.
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

Risk vs benefit. The entire concept of insurance is about profit for those that have excess capital. Maybe when farmers grouped together to look out for one another, sure, but in this day and age it's nothing more than profit for corporations that have stellar credit ratings and money in the bank.
Insurance is nothing more than preying on those that don't have capital or a means to cover "acts of God". surprisingly, not covered by insurance.
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

The term used is no longer "Acts of God", it's now "Force Majeure"
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

Where a tenants policy pays off is when a tenant is displaced or held liable as a result of peril .
The value of a mdf chest of drawers, a worthless stained mattress and a tattered couch that smells like old cheese is secondary.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

You'd be surprised how quickly clothing items, toiletries, linens, cookware, table ware, etc. all add up pretty darn fast to at least $5000. Not to mention, insurance is required to help pay for accommodation after the emergency services run out.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.

Return to “Social Concerns”