How to put an end to the fentanyl crisis

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
jasmineschmidtz

How to put an end to the fentanyl crisis

Post by jasmineschmidtz »

I am so upset to read a new article every single day about another fentanyl overdose. It is appalling that this is happening right here! I believe that the government needs to step up and legalize all drugs and start regulating them.
People are always going to want to do drugs so why not tax them and make them safer for the public. If the government started putting a little bit of money into making clean, safe drugs I believe it would save us money in the long run because the costs of treating overdoses would be cut dramatically.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Re: How to put an end to the fentanyl crisis

Post by JayByrd »

I'd be interested to see someone run for office with that in their platform.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

jasmineschmidtz wrote:I am so upset to read a new article every single day about another fentanyl overdose. It is appalling that this is happening right here! I believe that the government needs to step up and legalize all drugs and start regulating them.
People are always going to want to do drugs so why not tax them and make them safer for the public. If the government started putting a little bit of money into making clean, safe drugs I believe it would save us money in the long run because the costs of treating overdoses would be cut dramatically.

wrong, wrong,and wrong, ya that's it lets legalize all drugs so we can have more junkies
no thank you
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by youjustcomplain »

the truth wrote:wrong, wrong,and wrong, ya that's it lets legalize all drugs so we can have more junkies
no thank you

What makes you think we'd have more junkies? Do you think there are people out there who are not junkies only because it's illegal to buy the drugs? Lets be fair here. The legality of the drugs has nothing to do with whether there are junkies.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

if all drugs were legal more people would try it without the fear of doing something illegal ,
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
jasmineschmidtz

Post by jasmineschmidtz »

the truth wrote:if all drugs were legal more people would try it without the fear of doing something illegal ,

But if it was regulated it would be safer to do so.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

I don't see a problem legalizing it all.
● then its all regulated
● then its all taxable
● removes gangs from it, and street violence surrounding gangs dealing drugs.
● etc...etc

Those who use or want to use will always going to do so. This war on drugs since sometime in 70s if not earlier, has only done 1 thing, spent 100s of billions of taxpayer dollars. It's absolutely no closer the ending anything, then when it began (it is just monster money pit).

war on drugs impo is a colossal fail, needs to rethought

Added: I have never been a user & never plan on being a user, so I'm not a proponent. Just someone using a little common sense on a issue.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

Especially in the case of drugs like fentanyl, providing legal sources, with some counselling, supervision, there could be reduction in deaths. Maybe not all deaths, but it could make a huge difference. That doesn't mean it would be a come one come all system for everyone who feels like starting drugs. Like prescription drugs, a person would have to have good reason (addiction would be a good one), and see their doctor,or drug counsellors to decide where and how they would get a safe source of the drug. Many of the people who were randomly cut off of prescribed drugs is how some ended up on street drugs. Doctors were suddenly afraid to prescribe and help patients wean off their medication properly. And I think this approach would be cheaper than stressing our Emergency ambulances, and ER's, treatment wards with the overdoses, not to mention the lives lost.
It's an idea which has not been tested, except in a few countries, so maybe there should be a trial of the idea and see if the overdoses and deaths are reduced in the next year or two.

Return to “Social Concerns”