Applying to work for the current B.C. Election

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Rod trish

Applying to work for the current B.C. Election

Post by Rod trish »

Yesterday my husband and I drove from the Westbank Electoral office to the District Electoral office in Kelowna to apply to work during the upcoming election. We were stunned to see a long line-up outside of the small office. With it being 4C outside we decided to just observe how fast the line was moving. More people arrived, young and old and after sitting for 40 minutes we learned they allowed 5 people in every 20 minutes as people exited.

We realized there were many people far more determined and possibly desperate to work than we were and we were amazed at the lack of organization. It left us feeling this current government doesn't hesitate to spend huge amounts on expensive television advertising but can't hire enough people to handle hiring in an effective manner for the election.

In working for the last Federal election it was handled far more efficiently, no 'job fairs', just a simple e-mail explaining where you were to report to for training.

Trish DeYaeger
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Re: Applying to work for the current B.C. Election

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Sounds like you haven't been to too many government offices. :biggrin:

What did you expect exactly, did you think they are going to hire fifty HR staff, for a one day job, just so you can get through the line faster?
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

Kelowna folks in minimum wage job scramble shocker.

Old news....very predictable.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Rod trish wrote:Yesterday my husband and I drove from the Westbank Electoral office to the District Electoral office in Kelowna to apply to work during the upcoming election. We were stunned to see a long line-up outside of the small office. With it being 4C outside we decided to just observe how fast the line was moving. More people arrived, young and old and after sitting for 40 minutes we learned they allowed 5 people in every 20 minutes as people exited.

We realized there were many people far more determined and possibly desperate to work than we were and we were amazed at the lack of organization. It left us feeling this current government doesn't hesitate to spend huge amounts on expensive television advertising but can't hire enough people to handle hiring in an effective manner for the election.

In working for the last Federal election it was handled far more efficiently, no 'job fairs', just a simple e-mail explaining where you were to report to for training.

Trish DeYaeger

Hmmm - sorry, but based on your post, it's probably good you sat for 40 minutes watching the activity rather than getting in line - there's clearly much more motivated people making the effort to stand in line and wait just to be a part of the process. I also question any correlation between TV advertising and HR abilities at organizing the job fair for the position you're seeking.
Brenky

Post by Brenky »

lightspeed wrote:Kelowna folks in minimum wage job scramble shocker.

Old news....very predictable.

I don't know if things have changed since, but I worked on election day as a voting officer (the most basic position) in '09 and got about $300+ pay after tax. That was for a 4-hour training session the week before and the work on election day itself. More than minimum wage. I imagine the pay has since increased, but even if it hasn't it is still a very lucrative offer for someone needing some extra money.
whitecandle
Board Meister

Post by whitecandle »

Depending on the position, salaries range from $215 - $390/day plus training allowance.
http://www.elections.bc.ca/docs/emp/582 ... ptions.pdf
Remember yesterday. Dream tomorrow. Live like crazy today.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

One would think in a logical world..
That they could count back thirty people and say, it will be around two hours, and let them decide..if they wanted to wait..and let number 5o and up know they may not get in..
But that would require common sense..
Better yet give them a number, so they can leave and come back, when they already know it will be hours... But that would be a sign of a well organized process.. Maybe they are not from here..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

^^ Or maybe it's just another anti Liberal who materialized simply to start another bashing thread.

I'm sure I'm not the only who's had that thought cross their mind.

Frankly it comes off as more of a "Letter to the Editor" type of thing posted in the wrong place.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
khutchi
Fledgling

Post by khutchi »

Had no idea this was a paid job. Why do we need to pay for this kinda thing? I would gladly be a part of the democratic process once every four years for free. I must be a minority....
"History is like a slingshot... the more you go back, the further you'll go."
whitecandle
Board Meister

Post by whitecandle »

60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:One would think in a logical world..
That they could count back thirty people and say, it will be around two hours, and let them decide..if they wanted to wait..and let number 5o and up know they may not get in..
But that would require common sense..
Better yet give them a number, so they can leave and come back, when they already know it will be hours... But that would be a sign of a well organized process.. Maybe they are not from here..

First year I worked a federal election, the Westbank office did just that. My friend and I were there for 90 minutes and the lady came up and said there was a good chance we wouldn't be interviewed that day. Gave each of us a number and said to come back the next day and we'd be seen as soon as we got there.

After that, we applied online for federal, provincial or municipal elections and received a phone call for a quick interview then told what day and where the training would be.
Remember yesterday. Dream tomorrow. Live like crazy today.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

I rest my case...
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??

Return to “Social Concerns”