Multihuman babies

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Multihuman babies

Post by maryjane48 »

what are peoples thoughts on more than 2 parent babies where 3 or more people donated bilogical material to produce a baby
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Multihuman babies

Post by youjustcomplain »

I didn't even know it was possible. That said, I see no problem with it. I suspect the only argument against it would come from the religious.
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

Its not such a good idea to fool with Mother Nature too much.

She's has a very funny way of coming back to bite you in the nether regions when you least expect it. :up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijVijP-CDVI
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

I've seen this used as s form of gene therapy to prevent certain genetic conditions from being inherited. That said, much of the third donors DNA only goes to the nucleolus and doesn't really introduce any traits into the offspring.

If anyone is watching The Expanse (sci if series), the main character has the DNA from 5 different parents who are part of a Mormon colony. I could see this technology existing here in the not too distant future
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

But what exactly does the introduced biological matter DO?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

I don't exactly understand it, but for instance if one parent had a mitochondrial disease (or some other genetic condition), they could use some genetic part from someone who has a healthy version of the genes needed. The rest of the child's genetic make up would be from the two chosen parents. Hopefully (?) the offspring from that child would also get good versions of the genes?
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.newscie ... nique/amp/

this is the story i was trying to highlight
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

I don't think it works physically. It takes two people to become a parent, not three/four/five. I mean, even if the girl sleeps with 10 guys, only one of these guys will contribute to making a baby, not all 10 of them.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

true but it is a technique to avoid certain ailments .
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

Silverstarqueen wrote:I don't exactly understand it, but for instance if one parent had a mitochondrial disease (or some other genetic condition), they could use some genetic part from someone who has a healthy version of the genes needed. The rest of the child's genetic make up would be from the two chosen parents. Hopefully (?) the offspring from that child would also get good versions of the genes?

When humans mate they are very selective in what features they want to promote. You want a better baby, find a better mate, oh wait, if you are marginal yourself, good luck with that!
Waste not
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Hmmm, designer babies.

In some extreme rare situations (medical), it could possibly be a good idea, but for the majority - there is no reason for it other than some sort of social acceptance to someones lifestyle choices.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

Grandan wrote:When humans mate they are very selective in what features they want to promote.

More like selective in their choice of booze.

I was beyond mating age before I became selective
In any features.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.

Return to “Social Concerns”