Ethnic neighbourhoods of Kelowna and other towns?

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Hermes
Fledgling

Ethnic neighbourhoods of Kelowna and other towns?

Post by Hermes »

The purpose of this post is not to inflame opinions on whether particular demographics or the existence of ethnically-defined neighbourhoods is good or bad, just to collect facts. There are some ethnicities where I want to seek them out (e.g. groceries that are not easy to find in superstores but require ethnic markets).

GVRD it is mixed but there are some areas whether certain local or foreign ethnicities -- e.g. established Chinese (multi generation), new Chinese (Hong Kong), Punjabi Sikhs, First Nation, old immigration Iranians (post revolution) and new Farsi-speaking immigrants [different politics, different religious attitudes, different money!], new immigrants from Syria and Afghanistan.

Of course the issue of 'colour' is related to one colour in particular: GREEN, the great equalizer.

Anyone seen a map that addresses this frankly? When I was in Toronto, a friend used a highliner to, within one minute demarcate the metropolitan area into zones!

I presume Kelowna will be the most ethnically diverse, but are there some towns in OK that are just as or even more diverse? I can look this up but usually statistics based on government surveys are way out of date. A lot has changed in ten years, I suspect. Is there an Okanagan town that has a very large percentage of Asian immigrants? I presume the aging hoi poloi of Kelowna hire Filipino housekeepers and care-givers. Maybe there is new money from Hong Kong concentrating in some places and an established underclass in other places. I have absolutely no idea. However, I doubt Kelowna is some special piece of Canada that is somehow unique. Or am I wrong?

Reminder: This post is about gathering information, not interpreting that info.
Last edited by Hermes on Apr 23rd, 2017, 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Ethnic neighbourhoods of Kelowna and other towns?

Post by the truth »

cool idea, i like it :up:
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
RVThereYet
Übergod

Re: Ethnic neighbourhoods of Kelowna and other towns?

Post by RVThereYet »

May I ask why you are interested in gathering this information?

Return to “Social Concerns”