Kelowna has a certain *reputation*...

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Re: Kelowna has a certain *reputation*...

Post by ferri »

*Take this discussion down several notches and stop making it personal! Thank you!
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
Hermes
Fledgling

Post by Hermes »

ferri wrote:*Take this discussion down several notches and stop making it personal! Thank you!

I agree. Why the rancour? 'Personal' IMHO isn't bad, just when it is spiteful.
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Gilchy »

I moved here the better part of a decade ago, and I've never had an issue meeting people. Could be my age group (younger), but I joined some groups early on and met some good friends, and our street is fantastic, with lots of people out and about.

I'm not trying to say it is this way for everyone, but I've seen little evidence of this horrible, rock hard place. These forums contain more venom than most places or people I see!
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

I remember decades ago discussing with a boss about going north to an isolated location (fly in) and because of my position I could have a home for my family which we took for over 3 years. He asked me what we thought of going north to isolation. I said we were looking forward to the experience. He said we would do great and enjoy our time there. We had a great experience. It really made me realize that life, where and how you spend is totally up to you. I have never lived in Kelowna but I am sure it has good and bad like anywhere else and a person will basically find whatever they are looking for.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
JollyGreenBully
Banned

Post by JollyGreenBully »

Saying there's good and bad in every city is a cop out, IMO. It's sidestepping issues that people raise and essentially trivializing them. I'm sure people in 3rd world cities can also put blinders on and claim everything is fine.

One thing I've noticed in this topic and many others on this website is that the positive impressions of Kelowna are almost always given by non-disabled heterosexual males. There's no way to know for sure but I'm guessing these people are also Caucasian, and religious. They don't see a problem because they are the problem.

Is there anyone here who doesn't fit this mold who doesn't agree with Kelowna's negative reputation? Really curious.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

I first moved to Kelowna many decades ago, immediately after leaving my mother's womb in KGH.

I love it here and most people I know love it here also. I don't see the same negative issues that some others portray but recognize that they are there. The general "people-are-horrible-here" attitude merely shows more about the person saying it than about others.

As for the difficulty for disabled gay people, I can see that it would be difficult. On the disabled front, the transit system sucks here. The population is low enough and the city is spread out so the services aren't available compared to a larger centre.

Similarly, when compared with a larger city, the gay population would be less so the "community" sense would not be there.
Also, it only takes a quick read through the threads on gay issues in Kelowna, such as the famed "coloured crosswalk" threads, to make one realize that the attitudes here are about as backwards as one could imagine. The bible thumping rantings of certain posters make one think we just went back a few decades in a time machine......or transported to modern day Chechnya.

But, in the end, I don't believe we are much different than other areas when you compare and take into account population, growth rate, and demographics. It's tough for a small city to grow into a medium size city.
You and 71 others Like this post
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

I moved here ten years ago .... and I've never been here before. The opportunity came up, and I had to take it. And here I am.

Kelowna is what you make of it.

If you're in circles of people making min. wage with no prospects of ever achieving education and thus higher pay and higher status, bum around from one crappy job to another out of desperation, you'll think Kelowna is a crappy place to live where everybody is suffering, no good jobs are around, and your dream will be getting a job in the oil fields that pays $8K/month which you can spend on alimonies, truck payment, and expensive drug habit.

If you're a mature adult who has a head on the shoulders, your friends are professionally employed, you exercise, keep busy with work and family, you'll think Kelowna is a wonderful place with lots to do, friendly people, good prospects, and lots of new things in the pipeline.

We see the world as we are.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

[quote]If you're a mature adult (ok, I never said I was mature) who has a head on the shoulders,(it was there this morning) your friends are professionally employed ( I know realtors. They think they're professional), you exercise (ummmmmm, nope), keep busy with work and family (ummmmm, yup), you'll think Kelowna is a wonderful place with lots to do (ummmmm, yup), friendly people (like anywhere else), good prospects (ummmmmm, yup), and lots of new things in the pipeline (as much as you want).

We see the world as we are.[/quote](ummm, absolutely)

Great post, Thanks. I was just having some fun. Tryin to lighten up some of the schleprocks out there.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

Would not classify this as a "reputation" but what I have noticed a lot of where we live is that the "older" people, which I have to say I am one of (many retired, some older and working) sure do like to complain about just about everything............"don't like the way you landscaped your yard", "you drive too fast" (even though your under the speed limit), "don't park on the street in front of my house", "don't cut your lawn in the evening because we are enjoying our quiet time on our patio". Jesus Chri$t........to my neighbors, please shoot me if I start acting like that. Unbelievable how so many people want to you to conform to their ideas of the "perfect street". The next *bleep* that decides to shoot their mouth off in my direction and wants to "improve me"...........well, they will probably be putting their house up for sale sooner than they wanted. Maybe some Zeppelin through 6 pairs of 15" speakers will help them remember their youth.

Just an observation that I have had confirmed by other people in other parts of Kelowna.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

That sounds like any neighbourhood in any city. Kelowna has the reputation of being a drug town - and an old town. It's possible to be friends with the old timers and ignore the drug side if one chooses.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

the truth wrote:
JollyGreenBully wrote:I don't really understand what you wrote, but Kelowna definitely has a reputation for being homophobic, racist, and full of bigoted rednecks. Lots of bashing of welfare / disability as well but that's a given with rednecks.

do you have a link to these facts, thanks i will be waiting

still waiting for a link to these facts

lots of hate in your comment ---wow---
Last edited by the truth on Apr 30th, 2017, 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

the truth wrote:still waiting for a link to these facts

Where was it stated it was factual? Opinions aren't necessarily facts that can be dissected.
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

Fancy wrote:Where was it stated it was factual? Opinions aren't necessarily facts that can be dissected.

I agree, Fancy and think that sometimes folks forget that the forum is a place where some share their concerns from their

perspectives and their reality. Which to them is their fact as they live and see it. Obviously, JGB has had experiences and

seen things Living in Kelowna that some of us have not. I'm sorry he sees and has had experiences that have left him with

the opinion of our town he has. It must be very hard to have to live in a place that is so frustratingly disheartening.

I've had to live in places that I didn't like much but not to the level JGB has expressed. It can be very isolating and that

can develop into further frustrations. I'm sorry JGB that Kelowna isn't kinder to you. If you remain here I hope Kelowna

eventually becomes a home where you can be happy. If, in time, you find yourself able to leave I hope you find an accepting

and welcoming community that will be kinder to you than what Kelowna was.

On the flip side of this is that Kelowna is can't be all that bad for everyone.

It seems we've got people flocking to live here and the stream of them seems endless.

Some of them are bound to love living here.

I just wish there weren't so many damned blame many of them!!! Lol :up:
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

interesting when some of us state are opinions some of you want to see links ,but when some of you people have opinions, there just that opinions, ok then ?
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

the truth wrote:interesting when some of us state are opinions some of you want to see links ,but when some of you people have opinions, there just that opinions, ok then ?

You actually wanted links to "facts" - that's different.

Return to “Social Concerns”