What is a realistic budget for living simply in OK?

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
forum
Guru

Re: What is a realistic budget for living simply in OK?

Post by forum »

$120K a year and you can live middle class in Kelowna.
Hermes
Fledgling

Post by Hermes »

forum wrote:$120K a year and you can live middle class in Kelowna.

I am working poor at best. Do others concur with this person's assessment?
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Gilchy »

if you're currently making a go of it in the lower mainland, you'll find the cost of living in the Okanagan a little less, especially in the smaller centres.

With regards to how much you need, it all depends on how you want to live. You know that already, though, so I'm not sure what you hope to learn by flooding the boards with redundant topics. Not sure how you plan on living as a snowbird on $1000/m however...
f/22
Board Meister

Post by f/22 »

I calculate around $1,500 a month. Been here in Kelowna for awhile, researching, and test driving that budget. I have a car, buy groceries, don't eat out, and haven't had a trip away. Also I've found that recreation at tourist, and even resident prices is too expensive for me. And about all I've found for realistic work for a newcomer is in the tourist service industry too. This place and that type of lifestyle would be a comeback back tour for me, but in a bigger pond. Not sure I'm interested in having that lifestyle again.
Last edited by f/22 on Apr 26th, 2017, 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

I am changing my advice..try OKFalls, Keromeos, Princeton, Hedley or Oliver.
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
f/22
Board Meister

Post by f/22 »

I now realize It's been a big waste of time.

Sorry if I wasted anyone else's.
forum
Guru

Post by forum »

I told you. Household income of $120K is average.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

That is far above the median average of 72k which is the median income for families in Kelowna.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

f/22 wrote:I now realize It's been a big waste of time.

Sorry if I wasted anyone else's.

What's been a big waste of time? :135:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

100k a year and u can scrape by . Much less than that and your gonna have a hard time here
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
forum
Guru

Post by forum »

Forget raising a family in Kelowna if the household income isn't 120K + .

The money is very seasonal.
forum
Guru

Post by forum »

mexi cali wrote:That is far above the median average of 72k which is the median income for families in Kelowna.

Yeah. But that's reality. If you're household income is only 72K, how you going to make the mortgage payments on a $600-$700K home?
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Hermes wrote:Do others concur with this person's assessment?

Sounds about right.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

100k and 120k a year. 100k a year to "scrape by". Good grief. You folks have your heads in the clouds. I have a secret for you - with a perspective and attitude like that you're NEVER going to be happy ANYWHERE.

According to all of the national studies, etc. Vancouver is more expensive to live than Kelowna. As such, for sure we can tell the OP that Kelowna is "cheaper than Vancouver". And before someone tries to call me on this - the OP wants to know cost of living, that doesn't include job prospects or average wages. The OP is not asking for an affordability assessment.

My household brings in 85k a year for a family of 4. I think we live pretty well on that. We have a nice home/property - not new or fancy but not a dive either, we drive decent reliable vehicles (newest is 5yo), we have healthy food and shelter, and we even have a few dollars left over at the end of the month for fun.

To the OP: As you've found. Attitude on these forums is horrible. Many seem to think that If you don't have a newer house, a brand new pickup, a vacation to someplace hot every winter, and a ski boat you're "scraping by" and/or want to blame Kelowna for their own poor financial decisions. Also, everyone's perception of "Living simply" is different. You're better off to compare rental prices, goods and services pricing, etc than to ask people for their perspective.
Last edited by TylerM4 on May 3rd, 2017, 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

TylerM4 wrote:100k a year to "scrape by". Good grief. You folks have your heads in the clouds. I have a secret for you - with a perspective and attitude like that you're NEVER going to be happy ANYWHERE.

Who says I'm not happy? Pretty happy go lucky guy.

And $100K in our case means we can live comfortably, maximize our RRSP/TFSA, have healthy savings accounts just in case, and not to worry about a thing. Of course if we weren't saving we could probably live on half of that if not less. But I'm talking about what I'm comfortable with, doesn't apply to everybody.

Return to “Social Concerns”