So, you're leaving Kelowna for greener pastures

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Hermes
Fledgling

So, you're leaving Kelowna for greener pastures

Post by Hermes »

Where and why?

I am not sold out to Okanagan, I am at the pre-exploratory stage. Thus, I am always curious to hear why people leave. No place is perfect obviously. And most people (I am guessing here) leave for personal reasons that have nothing to do with the place per se.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: So, you're leaving Kelowna for greener pastures

Post by Queen K »

People leave because they can't afford it here.

BC means Bring Cash. Kelowna more so. Or skills. Or a good retirement package.
Nothing like money here in the Okanagan.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Hermes
Fledgling

Post by Hermes »

Queen K wrote:People leave because they can't afford it here.

Thank you Queen K for your concise answer. I will be very interested to see if people echo your comment or vociferously disagree.

The question then remains 'expensive compared to where else in Canada?' Or more particularly, compared to equivalent places in Canada? The only major draw for me is the micro-climate of Osoyoos and maybe Penticton. Otherwise Canada is a big place with alternatives.

I can go only so far on sandy beaches, warm lakes and wineries (yawn, I drink like two glasses of wine per year). Perhaps I will end up in Southern Manitoba, Quebec or further east.
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

Hermes wrote:

Thank you Queen K for your concise answer. I will be very interested to see if people echo your comment or vociferously disagree.

The question then remains 'expensive compared to where else in Canada?' Or more particularly, compared to equivalent places in Canada? The only major draw for me is the micro-climate of Osoyoos and maybe Penticton. Otherwise Canada is a big place with alternatives.

I can go only so far on sandy beaches, warm lakes and wineries (yawn, I drink like two glasses of wine per year). Perhaps I will end up in Southern Manitoba, Quebec or further east.

It appears you have already decided against the Kelowna area and just need someone to echo that....
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

Depends where you're from, what you value, what's it worth to you.
Some would live in a walk in closet for the Okanagan sun, not me.
It's one of the most expensive cities in BC maybe Canada so if your moving here only to work typically low paying jobs then in my opinion it's a waste of your time, you could do the same in any nice town across Canada and live much easier maybe even save some.
monroe
Übergod

Post by monroe »

Hermes wrote:

Whats your story Muchacho?? Are you on "the lamb".

Why all the questions, you rob a bank? Wheres your wife? Why Manitoba, Kelowna, thats like night and day :135:

And IF in fact you do check out, ignore Queen. Shes a gold digger. Her BC Bring Cash comment means shes lookin for another sugar daddy.
" ... Kind of weird but hey, weird is normal on castanet " - LANDM
Hermes
Fledgling

Post by Hermes »

Vegas1500 wrote: "It appears you have already decided against the Kelowna area and just need someone to echo that...."

I can understand how you might get that impression, but that is actually not true. I have tentatively decided that *Kelowna City* is probably not for me (a one months stay is in order in order to determine that, I won't move anywhere without a preliminary non-motel visit).

I am open to hearing all kinds of wonderful, mixed and horrible things about Kelowna. For example, it appears to be bicycle friendly and have more jobs (?) than smaller cities and towns in the OK. Really, what I am comparing by participating in this board is Kelowna vs. Penticton vs. Summerland vs. Osoyoos vs. Oliver. And OK cities/towns vs. Kamloops.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

People usually leave Kelowna for work reasons.
Hermes
Fledgling

Post by Hermes »

Monroe wrote: "Whats your story Muchacho?? Are you on "the lamb".

Ah, a comedian.

"Why all the questions"

knowledge is power

"you rob a bank?"

Ah, a comedian.

"Wheres your wife?"

For context of marital status, background, religion, politics, and goals read my other posts. I will not repeat it.

"Why Manitoba, Kelowna, thats like night and day"

How so?
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Something tells me , you should have a look at Okanagan Centre, Naramata, OK Falls......... Might be something you like..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
forum
Guru

Post by forum »

To make a good living in Kelowna you need to be top class in your profession.
Lot's of Kelowna people say "I don't wanna judge...but" But they judge hard.

People will pay you well if you are undeniably the best.
Otherwise they reserve their money and pay you as little as possible.
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

forum wrote:To make a good living in Kelowna you need to be top class in your profession.
Lot's of Kelowna people say "I don't wanna judge...but" But they judge hard.

People will pay you well if you are undeniably the best.
Otherwise they reserve their money and pay you as little as possible.

This isn't true at all. There are a lot of dumbasses making good money here, like anywhere.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Gawd, here we go again. Or still.

The only people who :cuss: all over Kelowna are those who don't have the ability to do well.

I can tell you all with a 100% degree of certainty; there is nothing special about me. I do just fine. Anyone who really wants to can. If you don't? It has zero to do with Kelowna. You won't make it anywhere. So please stop crapping all over what is arguably the most popular destination place in the entire country and most of the US.

Hawaii is also very expensive. Much more so than here but people flock to it, and try to make it work. MAny don't but those who do really want it, make it. The rest are free to move on.

Please feel free.
Last edited by ferri on Apr 28th, 2017, 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: word censor workaround
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
JollyGreenBully
Banned

Post by JollyGreenBully »

mexi cali wrote:The only people who :cuss: all over Kelowna are those who don't have the ability to do well.

Right....

or maybe gay people who have been told by doctors here that homosexuality is a mental illness have a gripe with Kelowna. Or maybe the people on welfare / disability who are constantly told their lives are meaningless have gripes with Kelowna.

Don't you guys get sick of continually talking about how Kelowna is so great when you're only mentioning your own biased white heterosexual viewpoints?

Other people live here you know. Your one story about how you worked hard and everything magically worked out for you =/= the entire population of Kelowna or Earth for that matter.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

or maybe gay people who have been told by doctors here that homosexuality is a mental illness have a gripe with Kelowna ( I seriously doubt that is the prevailing attitude amongst the medical profession here or anywhere. If that is your experience, get another doctor). Or maybe the people on welfare / disability who are constantly told their lives are meaningless have gripes with Kelowna.( :cuss: , you're a drama queen).

Don't you guys get sick of continually talking about how Kelowna is so great when you're only mentioning your own biased white heterosexual viewpoints? (I'm not biased. But I also never blamed my misfortunes as I went through them on any particular group of people which seems to be your MO.)

Other people live here you know. (sadly, a lot whose only defense seems to be blaming whatever differences they may have on everyone else) Your one story about how you worked hard and everything magically worked out for you (magic happens in an instant and is, well, miraculous. I assure you there was nothing magical about how my life has turned out to date) =/= the entire population of Kelowna or Earth for that matter. *removed*
Last edited by ferri on Apr 28th, 2017, 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: word censor workaround/off topic
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition

Return to “Social Concerns”