Soon it will be time to kill those bad dandelions (Insanity)

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Soon it will be time to kill those bad dandelions (Insanity)

Post by Thinktank »

Do you kill dandelions? Are you one of the millions of brainless Canadians across this country who actually goes out and buys weed killer, to kill dandelions on your lawn? There's a lot of reasons it's a really dumb thing to do, and one of those reasons is - you have to store the half empty container somewhere in the basement or garage. My friends younger brother died of cancer thirty five years ago probably because their Dad stored the pesticides he used on the orchard - in the basement.

Do you know why we still kill dandelions on school fields? It's because the dandelion is such a dangerous plant, some school kid could be running, and trip over the plant and hurt himself. Half Canadian kids will soon be obese, and they'll grow up to spend $billions on heart drugs, blood pressure drugs, diabetes drugs, and we're worried about the "danger" of the dandelion in school fields, so we kill those plants with synthetic herbicides that are harmful to our health.

They say there's a sucker born every minute though. Are you convinced your lawn must look like a golf course - perfectly smooth without any weird yellow plants sticking out like a sore thumb? Do you contaminate your yard with weed killer that gets tracked into the house, just because some genius marketing people convinced you to spend money to kill dandelions? Do you want to know more reasons why it's a dumb thing to do?

Discuss.

WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: Soon it will be time to kill those bad dandelions (Insan

Post by Queen K »

Thinktank, I have to agree here. The dandelions are harmless, just annoying right? They provide food for insects and represent a dash of colour, what's the harm? But then be sure to behead them when they are about to go to seed, just so as to not annoy your neighbours.

I know we have unconventional views on this subject.

Awaiting the storm.... :popcorn:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
khutchi
Fledgling

Post by khutchi »

what's a lawn?
"History is like a slingshot... the more you go back, the further you'll go."
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Bees rely on dandelions for their first meals of the season. We'll lop them off just before they seed.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

I read recently dandelion is supposed to have anti-cancer properties. Soon it will be illegal to grow it when word of that gets out.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Well, son of a b.... shush, then.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Thinktank wrote:Do you know why we still kill dandelions on school fields?

Lots of schools don't kill dandelions on their property.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I use a weed puller to try and keep them under some control.
You can also spray directly on them with a vinegar/salt/water mix that will kill them as well.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

My dad used to throw a tiny bit of rum in, gave it a real nice flavour.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

A bit dramatic eh?

I love the medical certainty of pesticides in the basement causing cancer. Especially when we're talking weed killer/herbicide. To counter - I can tell you stories of my Grandfather. Farming in the OK 60 years ago. DDT was the "weak stuff" back then. He sprayed a lead arsenic mixture. He stirred the tank with his arm, wore no protective gear (literally soaking wet with spay residue by the end of the day), and still almost made it to 80yo before the unsafe farm equipment (not cancer) took him.

Regardless - I do think people go over the top with regard to dandelions. Every other year I'll throw down some weed N feed to try to keep them under control, but that's about it.

Didn't COK ban these sprays a couple of years ago anyway?
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Relentless »

Dandelions don't really serve a purpose in your lawn.
If you need to feed the bee's you can grow them in an area that isn't lawn.

My neighbors(2 of them) have millions of dandelions growing in their entire yard, they refuse to do anything with them, but the time will come when they wont have any lawn, as it will be all dandelions, and then what?

I don't let them grown and flower in my yard, I dig them out with a long flat blade screwdriver long before they bloom.
Dandelions are like rats in the neighborhood, you start with one and then have millions if you don't deal with them.
Dandelions are not native to Canada to begin with, and have no business here!

I get a kick out of the people who go year after year not looking after their lawn, and then rush out to Crappy Tire to buy spray to get rid of their over abundance of dandelions.
Then they spend hours spraying them, only to miss a few hundred.
By the time they have them sprayed, seeds from 1000 others have already spread, and 3 weeks from now, they will have another crop.
Dandelions should be banned in Canada for sure!
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

A lawn is nothing more than manicured weeds, which we waste water on to please peoples aesthetics, which in turn spend time on hand and knees and/orpoison to manicure a sea of weeds further.
My manicured weeds bother you to the point of your dissatisfaction? Your problem not mine. Sorry just saying. First world problems people.
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

I just kill the dandelions because ThinkTank's uncle said it was a good idea. He seemed like a pretty smart guy so I've been doing it ever since.
You and 71 others Like this post
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

And call me crazy but we humans are laying waste to this planet: pollution, deforestation, driving species to extinction and we're worried about a little wildflower that serves a purpose in our food chain to the point we poison our literal backyards... so subjectively they "look" better. To me, that's crazy.

I'm actually amazed at the evolutionary success of these plants; what else grows 6 inches over night?
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.

Return to “Social Concerns”