High workers, higher costs

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
ferri
Forum Administrator

High workers, higher costs

Post by ferri »

Oilpatch CEOs fear their costs will rise when the federal government passes recently introduced legislation to legalize recreational marijuana.

The issue of drug use is closely watched in the industry, where workers tend to be young and hazards include long commutes to and from remote drilling sites, wells that produce poisonous or explosive gas and exposure to heavy machinery. Many oil and gas companies have strict bans on alcohol and drugs at work.

Precision Drilling CEO Kevin Neveu, whose Calgary-based firm operates in both Canada and the United States, says his opposition to legalization is supported by his company's experiences in Colorado after that state legalized the drug in 2014.

More here: https://www.castanet.net/news/Business/ ... gher-costs
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
psychprof
Fledgling

Re: High workers, higher costs

Post by psychprof »

Legalizing marijuana doesn't mean it's legal to use all day. Just like how alcohol is legal but driving drunk is not. Show up to work drunk? Get fired. Same rule applies to showing up high or using on the job site.
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast

Post by WeatherWoman »

psychprof wrote:Legalizing marijuana doesn't mean it's legal to use all day. Just like how alcohol is legal but driving drunk is not. Show up to work drunk? Get fired. Same rule applies to showing up high or using on the job site.

Agreed. Our policy will remain the same for alcohol and drugs. If you show up to work under the influence of either/both then you are sent home ASAP an may not be returning.

I am sure these big companies already have policy in place they will need to do some education to their employees....which is not a bad thing.
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

psychprof wrote:Legalizing marijuana doesn't mean it's legal to use all day. Just like how alcohol is legal but driving drunk is not. Show up to work drunk? Get fired. Same rule applies to showing up high or using on the job site.

Exactly

I'd have absolutely no problem expanding drug testing in many other areas i.e doctors, nurses, police officers etc... etc

Added later: anyone coming to work impaired by alcohol or drugs, should be sent home without pay.
What you do on your own time is your business, just don't come to work stoned or drunk.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.

Return to “Social Concerns”