Gum Chewing Cashiers

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
mae
Fledgling

Re: Gum Chewing Cashiers

Post by mae »

If there is a heaven I really hope there are no cellphones there.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

whatwhat wrote:
Even Steven wrote:Why holding up? You can be part of a line up and talk on the phone at the same time. It's not like it requires your undivided attention.

You'd be surprised how many people can't seem to talk on the phone and unpack their groceries. Or people who can't talk on the phone while still talking to the cashier (about how they want their groceries packed, extra's they want like smokes or ice, payment etc). They all tend to hold up the line unfortunately.

Think that's bad? Try working in a pharmacy when a patient/customer won't get off their phone and tosses a prescription at you.

Is this for you? Has your contact information changed? Do you have any changes to your third party insurance? Do you have any new allergies to report? Will you be waiting for this in store? Nevermind the brand new customers that need to be added to he system from scratch.

Sorry if we asked that you finish your call before we assist you. Kind of don't want to kill you with drug interactions and dealing with your *bleep* off *bleep* at pick up when "you don't pay for your prescriptions" (current insurance info would solve that).
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by youjustcomplain »

mae wrote:If there is a heaven I really hope there are no cellphones there.

That would sound like hell for most of the younger generations. ;)
Bubalouie
Guru

Post by Bubalouie »

I get the part about your mouth getting dry and drinking too much water wouldn't be a great idea because of breaks, etc.
If you're going to chew it, do so with your mouth closed.
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

When we were kids growing up our mother used to say that women who chewed gum were Floozies.

I reminded her of that years later when I found a packet of gum in her car and knew I could out run her.
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

youjustcomplain wrote:No problem with gum chewing. But the lip smacking that sometimes goes along with it would drive me crazy, quickly. It would help me move through that line up faster though. :)

I was surprised that there is a component to chewing sounds and that runs in the genes, some people it bothers worse than others and that shows up in a genetic test.
Waste not
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

I loath the sound of others chewing
don't know what it is
genetic...sure...ok
I have to have some distraction at dinner (tv or radio) and always turn on car radio if there is eating going on
I kept my dislike to myself for the most part for years
wasn't 'til I was in my 40's that I met someone with the same affliction
they too kept it mostly to themselves until we opened the topic

if I ran a store, I'd fire any clerk that chewed gum
when I was young working grocery, we weren't allowed gum or snacks or tongue coloring juice
that's what breaks were for
if you needed to wet your whistle, you sipped water
sipped

There used to be a level of professionalism that even grocers held for the customers that supported their business
My hair was above collar
my pants and shirt were fresh and pressed
my shoes shined
my tie was tied, not clipped on
even my apron had to be tied neat

It let the customer know they were valued, respected and dealt with professionally

You...with the gum. You're FIRED!

Return to “Social Concerns”