Gum Chewing Cashiers

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Bubalouie
Guru

Gum Chewing Cashiers

Post by Bubalouie »

First world problem I know but it drives me nuts when at a check out and the cashier is chewing gum. At a store yesterday, we were third in line and could hear her chewing from there.
Last edited by Bubalouie on May 10th, 2017, 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Gum Chewing Cashiers

Post by GordonH »

Bubalouie wrote:Third world problem I know but it drives me nuts when at a check out and the cashier is chewing gum. At a store yesterday, we were third in line and could hear her chewing from there.

Well, that does bug me as much as customers thinking there cellphone call is so damn important to hold up line. Instead of leaving lineup, so others can move on.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

GordonH wrote:Well, that does bug me as much as customers thinking there cellphone call is so damn important to hold up line. Instead of leaving lineup, so others can move on.

Why holding up? You can be part of a line up and talk on the phone at the same time. It's not like it requires your undivided attention.
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

Even Steven wrote:Why holding up? You can be part of a line up and talk on the phone at the same time. It's not like it requires your undivided attention.

You'd be surprised how many people can't seem to talk on the phone and unpack their groceries. Or people who can't talk on the phone while still talking to the cashier (about how they want their groceries packed, extra's they want like smokes or ice, payment etc). They all tend to hold up the line unfortunately.
hail Satan y'all
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Even Steven wrote:Why holding up? You can be part of a line up and talk on the phone at the same time. It's not like it requires your undivided attention.

whatwhat wrote:You'd be surprised how many people can't seem to talk on the phone and unpack their groceries. Or people who can't talk on the phone while still talking to the cashier (about how they want their groceries packed, extra's they want like smokes or ice, payment etc). They all tend to hold up the line unfortunately.

Exactly what I was going to post whatwhat, well said.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
OldIslander
Board Meister

Post by OldIslander »

The gum chewing cashier
The cud-chewing cow
Are somewhat alike,
Yet different somehow.
Just what is the difference?
I think I see now...
It's the clear thoughtful look
On the face of the cow.
“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.” Ernest Benn
JollyGreenBully
Banned

Post by JollyGreenBully »

GordonH wrote:Well, that does bug me as much as customers thinking there cellphone call is so damn important to hold up line. Instead of leaving lineup, so others can move on.

If someone is legitimately holding up a line and being inconsiderate due to a call I agree it's bad. However, I use my phone all the time in lineups as a distraction. It might appear rude but it's better than panicking or fainting and having the line completely closed. It sounds more like you're describing different situations though.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

JollyGreenBully wrote:If someone is legitimately holding up a line and being inconsiderate due to a call I agree it's bad. However, I use my phone all the time in lineups as a distraction. It might appear rude but it's better than panicking or fainting and having the line completely closed. It sounds more like you're describing different situations though.

What I'm describing is a customer either making or answering a call (or texting) & is stalled (either not placing there items on the belt or cashier is waiting for payment. The customer is unable to perform 2 things at same time i.e. placing item on the belt or make payment as well talk &/or text.
Meanwhile lineup grows

I do my best to shop when the stores are quiet, unfortunately that is not always the case.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Bubalouie wrote:Third world problem I know but it drives me nuts when at a check out and the cashier is chewing gum. At a store yesterday, we were third in line and could hear her chewing from there.

I'm assuming you mean first world problem but get your point. I think there are some people who can chew gum without being annoying, those that can't would probably be annoying anyway.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Singapore banned chewing gum at one time . Not sure if they allow it now. I say ban it . What good is gum
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

what a weird thing to complain about ???

how much time do you spend with cashiers ??
Bubalouie
Guru

Post by Bubalouie »

Not a lot but sure seems to be a lot of it happening at various stores
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

Bubalouie wrote:Not a lot but sure seems to be a lot of it happening at various stores

I do have to agree, when I worked as a cashier we did chew gum like crazy. Some of the cashiers would go through about a pack a day, including myself (I stopped chewing gum about 6 years ago).

I know I personally chewed gum for a couple reasons.
    1. You talk all day long. Your mouth starts to get dry after a while. We can drink water, but that leads to lot's of bathroom breaks which can be difficult when it is busy or it is short staffed.
    2. Again, you are talking all day. When you come back from your break, lunch, or grab a quick snack/sample/treat sometimes your breath isn't the freshest. So you always have gum on hand as you'll be in people's faces for the next 2+hours.
    3. Honestly, the job is boring and repetitive. It is something to do.
    4. I honestly think it is an addictive thing? I think you just get so used to chewing it, it is just automatic to have a piece in your mouth
hail Satan y'all
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by youjustcomplain »

No problem with gum chewing. But the lip smacking that sometimes goes along with it would drive me crazy, quickly. It would help me move through that line up faster though. :)
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Jflem1983 wrote:Singapore banned chewing gum at one time . Not sure if they allow it now. I say ban it . What good is gum

It helps me keep my mouth moist and also with a persistent cough I have due to some meds I take.

I do try to chew with my mouth closed not like some folks.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!

Return to “Social Concerns”