We make me sick

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Graham Adder
Guru

We make me sick

Post by Graham Adder »

5,600,000,000 litres of water each day, draining into Okanagan Lake.
Ever look at Okanagan Lake on Google Earth?
It's hard to see from space.
It's that small on the face of the globe.

We have 5.6 BILLION litres of water spilling into our lake each day lately, and we still have people DYING of thirst in this world.

What are we going to do with our surplus?
Water :cuss: golf courses, that's what!

:cuss: we make me sick.
forum
Guru

Re: We make me sick

Post by forum »

Boat on it. That's what.
okanagankitchen

Post by okanagankitchen »

What are you doing about it Graham? All change starts with one person...
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I was thinking of this problem too.

Why not divert the inflowing waters? Even into temporary reservoirs? How would that be done at minimal impact to existing habitat? What would siphoning off inflow look like? Who would be in charge of doing so and how much diversion would it take to make a difference?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Queen K wrote:I was thinking of this problem too.

Why not divert the inflowing waters? Even into temporary reservoirs? How would that be done at minimal impact to existing habitat? What would siphoning off inflow look like? Who would be in charge of doing so and how much diversion would it take to make a difference?

How much would it cost? Who will foot the bill?
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

What is flood control from Kalamalka to Osoyoos Lakes costing us now? And individually and by insurance companies?
Entire basements filled, RVs ruined, docks smashed up, sandbagging isn't free. The orange bladder thingys aren't free.
It's all costing.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Queen K wrote:What is flood control from Kalamalka to Osoyoos Lakes costing us now? And individually and by insurance companies?
Entire basements filled, RVs ruined, docks smashed up, sandbagging isn't free. The orange bladder thingys aren't free.
It's all costing.

It does cost, but those are costs that don't happen every year. A reservoir/water channeling system would cost every year. What would the cost analysis be between the two? Flooded basements, ruined RVs and docks are covered by insurance companies, those are user based costs that doesn't effect the taxpayer.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

You can also pee in it.
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

okanagankitchen wrote:What are you doing about it Graham? All change starts with one person...

On two occasions I have been a part of organizing a campaign to bring water to those in need. I've also attempted to do something similar in regards to northern communities.
In all of my attempts I have found myself overwhelmed with the amount of red tape to deal with, the amount of resources required to make anything happen and the number of people to create the daisy chain around the world.
I'm not that person.
I'd love to be a part of the solution, but I don't know how to access what the solution is.
That doesn't erase the illness in my gut.
We still make me sick.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Dizzy1 wrote:

It does cost, but those are costs that don't happen every year. A reservoir/water channeling system would cost every year. What would the cost analysis be between the two? Flooded basements, ruined RVs and docks are covered by insurance companies, those are user based costs that doesn't effect the taxpayer.

I would have to disagree. Do you buy home insurance? Have you watched the steady rising costs? A lot of that is because of these disasters like the Fort McMurray wildfire and I'm sure our flooding right now will cause another rise. Special coverage is getting harder and more expensive to get. Yes it may help the person involved but the rising cost of insurance affects most taxpayers in one way or another. Insurance is one of the most necessary dumb things that we have. Most pay a fortune over their lifetimes for something they don't use proven by the fact that insurance companies make huge profits. So yes in my opinion we suffer these costs every year.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Back to topic, everything can be done for a price. If you travel interstate 8 west out of Yuma AZ you will see a huge irrigation ditch which runs for miles taking water from the Colorado river into California for irrigation etc for all our good winter veggies. I watched that ditch being re-built with miles of concrete to stop the losses into the desert sand. Along with that they built enormous concrete tanks to hold the water until it was needed. I knew a bit about it because I wood carve with the wife of the engineer in charge of the project. I met him numerous times and had some interesting talks about it. Costs were tremendous but under their circumstances worth it. We could do the same thing if we wished to store water, but we would have to then find uses for it or at least good usable ideas to work with. I'm afraid it will never go far until there is somehow money to be made as that is our world today. If the states run out of water and are willing to pay big dollars it will happen quickly.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

The waters already are in temporary reservoirs, called lakes. We can only draw about as much as is dumped in the lake in an average year. Sometimes we have an over flow, we could just keep that in the lake, as it is this year, to help us have it for another year, say if next year is as dry as the last. If you annually draw any more than the average that goes in, the lakes will be depleted and eventually just become a river or stream. They aren't an infinite supply of water if you are overdrawing.
As for people who like to have a home within feet of the lake, or a river/creek whatever, you have to consider that risk when you move there. You have to know (there are flood plain maps to check) that every ten or twenty years your house is going to be inundated. In fact, this would be a good year to be house-hunting, you can easily tell which homes are likely to flood in a future very wet year, and avoid those, if that's not in your preferred life style choices.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

it amazes me that some folks who say them folks being flooded out by site c are also some same folks crying about boaters . ironic :admin: :smt045

Return to “Social Concerns”