Mr. Rogers - Saving Public Broadcasting

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Mr. Rogers - Saving Public Broadcasting

Post by Barney Google »

In 1969, Mr. Rogers gave the following emotional plea to a Senate Subcommittee. Nixon was trying to cut funding for PBS. Mr. Rogers was trying to save it. This speech is one of many fantastic memories that remind us just how fantastic a happiness hero this man really was.

Somehow using nothing but a few minutes of gentle words, Mr. Rogers was able to convince them not to pull funding from public television. The transition of the committee’s chairman from skeptical and dismissive at the beginning to having an attitude of outright admiration at the end is beautiful to behold. It’s amazing what you can accomplish when kindness and the happiness of others is your goal.

Huffington Post:

The Best Argument For Saving Public Media Was Made By Mr. Rogers In 1969
Now seems like a good time to revisit his moving speech to the U.S.

"On May 1, 1969, Fred Rogers stepped before the U.S. Senate Subcommittee on Communication and explained what exactly his job entailed.

Rogers, the man behind the PBS show “Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood,” had gone to Washington, D.C., to defend public television from budget cuts. President Richard Nixon had proposed slashing funding for programming such as Rogers’ in half as the war in Vietnam raged on.

Sitting in front of Sen. John O. Pastore, the chairman of the subcommittee, Rogers didn’t get bogged down in budgetary minutia. Instead, he talked about what he hoped to accomplish with his show. He used it, he said, to help children learn to deal with their problems in a healthy manner ― to instill a sense of confidence in the kids he worked with and who watched him. He used simple sentences and simple words to get his point across..."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/mr- ... 71dcf1d440

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKy7ljRr0AA

Maybe a few of our World Leaders could learn a few lessons from good ol' Mr. Rogers...

he touched on many subjects...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EFe9Vpd3ps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDnDs1Rz4ZQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9D2-SWk2jb8
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
Jflem1983
Guru

Re: Mr. Rogers - Saving Public Broadcasting

Post by Jflem1983 »

Cbc is the only media outfit in Canada that is currently growing . The rest are making cuts . That is telling
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

The message Mr. Roberts had to make was a very simple one.

One that holds true for today's children.

Hearing that governments are cutting funding to programs like this and others like it is troubling.

It's like when schools started cutting arts and music and drama programs and shop and home EC...our kids

miss out and in the end our communities and society too.
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
youhavegottobekidding
Fledgling

Post by youhavegottobekidding »

Jflem1983 wrote:Cbc is the only media outfit in Canada that is currently growing . The rest are making cuts . That is telling

Is that what our taxpayer dollars are going for..... We should ABOLISH the CBC.....Float on your own or SINK...end of story
I don't know anyone that watches CBC......wonder why?? :).
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

Jflem1983 wrote:Cbc is the only media outfit in Canada that is currently growing . The rest are making cuts . That is telling

CBC is "growing" (I suspect you're referring to the new budgetary increase) only after years of massive budget cuts and massive layoffs.

In the meantime, they've managed to hang onto an astounding market share for broadcast and radio while operating on tight budgets compared to their public-sector peers.

Perhaps Global and CTV can take a few lessons from the CBC.
Last edited by 36Drew on May 27th, 2017, 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

if you dont know anyone that watches or listens to cbc then i suggest kellie lietch test you for canadian values :smt045
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

maryjane48 wrote:if you dont know anyone that watches or listens to cbc then i suggest kellie lietch test you for canadian values :smt045

Only program I watch which is no longer the property of the CBC is Hockey Night in Canada (Rogers).
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

GordonH wrote:Only program I watch which is no longer the property of the CBC is Hockey Night in Canada (Rogers).

I was curious so went and looked at the CBC's programing. Other than some Hockey the only program we watch is Heartland.

The rest of it is not worth watching.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

lol but still proved my point . you know someone who watches or listens . i dont have cable anymore . cbc streams on youtube . cnn fox and nbc to . :130:
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Even old sudsy is fed up with the cbc . Throw in the towel . Stop funding it . Let it swim or die
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

Jflem1983 wrote:Even old sudsy is fed up with the cbc . Throw in the towel . Stop funding it . Let it swim or die

It's swimming just fine. Your short-sighted conjecture doesn't make for a strong argument.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Just to be clear . You folks prefer well funded communist propaganda ? I mean that's all the cbc is today

36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

Jflem1983 wrote:Just to be clear . You folks prefer well funded communist propaganda ? I mean that's all the cbc is today

Yet you seem to rely on them when posting news-related links to back up your arguments.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

36Drew wrote:
Jflem1983 wrote:Just to be clear . You folks prefer well funded communist propaganda ? I mean that's all the cbc is today

Yet you seem to rely on them when posting news-related links to back up your arguments.

I read cbc and breitbart

Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

As the OP...

I'd like to hear about what you all think of what Mr. Rogers and his show intended to bring to children and families.
- Unknown

Return to “Social Concerns”