Everyone, Smarten the 'ell-Up: Product Labels vs Parenting

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Everyone, Smarten the 'ell-Up: Product Labels vs Parenting

Post by kgcayenne »

https://www.castanet.net/news/Canada/19 ... vape-juice
A New Brunswick mother says her nine-year-old daughter was hospitalized after consuming e-cigarette fluids from a brightly labelled "Unicorn Milk" bottle.
Lea L'Hoir is calling on Ottawa to swiftly enact a ban on the child-friendly names on the products.
She says her daughter and several friends found the purple tube with a rainbow on it in a Fredericton playground on Monday.
She says the image of a pink and purple unicorn led them to believe it was candy and they ingested a few drops.
Her daughter was later taken to hospital suffering stomach pain, dizzy spells and soreness in her chest, before being released and sent home.
L'Hoir says she suffered anxiety and a sleepless night due to her child's illness and wants assurances a new federal law will prohibit the child-friendly labels and odours.
A federal bill is before the Senate that would ban labels that appeal to children or which use fictional animals as an "endorsement," but the bill hasn't become law yet.

#1 - Adult products should never be allowed to have names that appeal to children.
#2 - When the &*^%^ did we stop teaching our children to avoid consuming whatever it is they find?

The thing was found on the playground? ON the freakin playground--outside--and the kids thought "Ohhh yah, I'll drink that." At a time when we're not allowed to send a peanut butter sandwich to school, kids are drinking from trash on the playground? Holy CRAP.

I recall a PSA with a song that says "Don't you put it in your mouth; don't you stuff it in your face. Though it might look good to eat; though it might look good to taste. You could get sick, really sick....."

Those of us with children in their 20s will now have this song running through our heads all freakin day.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Re: Everyone, Smarten the 'ell-Up: Product Labels vs Parent

Post by JayByrd »

Hard to imagine these kids didn't know better. My son is in kindergarten, and understands not to even touch, let alone consume, anything he doesn't recognize, anywhere. And it's not like we had to hammer the message home...he actually *gasp* understands that it's dangerous. It's not just a random thing Mommy and Daddy told him not to do. His school also emails monthly reminders of how students should respond to strange objects on the playground.

While I agree that "there oughta be a law" against marketing e-cig products to kids, if this was my kid I'd be afraid to show my face.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
Roadhog

Post by Roadhog »

We have way too many laws in this country as it is, we don't need another one for some trivial incident. So the kid got sick and learned a valuable lesson, one that Mom should have given her at age 3. I can only assume this lady is making a big song and dance about it in the hope of getting some compensation from the manufacturers.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

Manufacturers should have the legal right to name their products whatever the :cuss: they want.
Parents need to pay attention and stop hoping things will turn out fine and should always be held responsible for their kids stupidity, I don't care if dora the explorer was in the container.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Placement of products should be rethought in some cases, that is retailers responsible. Items children should not be handling hould be placed out of reach of there little hands.
This would solve problems like this one.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

Yeah. Manufacturers can have any name they like ..... except things that are for kids.
Like rainbows,

Leave the rainbow for kids. Take whatever else you want.
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

Yup, those lgbqt look like kids^^
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

Though I do agree with not having interference for manufacturers, I think in these kind of cases, as someone who occasionally vapes and smokes, colours, names and symbology matter. Not for me.
For the little kid that shame me when they walk by me smoking/vaping;

because I'm the adult, and I am supposed to know better.

I know that children emulate what they see.

And to prevent an accident like this? I'm fine with plain packaging (with out some lame *bleep* name, it's freaking ridiculous what these guys call liquid death, and this kid is lucky to be alive. Those bottles may contain enough nicotine to kill a horse)

It's just my take wanting to look out for my neighbours and communities.
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.
forum
Guru

Post by forum »

I donno, were told all the time not to just drive in and go down on a stranger. But you know...some adults do.

Return to “Social Concerns”