IN or OUT.

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

IN or OUT.

Post by Ken7 »

Today I was going into Petro Can to pick up smokes for a friend I was going to visit. As I approached the door which was open with the use of a door stop there was a younger male ( 25 yrs old ) coming to the door to leave.

I stopped on the my left of the open door to allow him to exit the store. He stopped as he spoke on his cell phone and said, "I'm going that way." and pointed which I was standing I guess in the path he wanted to walk. He could have taken one step forward and walked around me. But he just stood there.

I laughed and shook my head like *bleep*. He then said, "What's your problem?" I explained, "I have no problem I was waiting for you to exit." He then made comment that he was waiting for me to move.

Was I right or wrong in stopping and then actually walking one step forward to walk around him. I should add two little boys had part of the door blocked with their scooters by about 10 inches.

I was raised to let people exit as he was closest to the door. He for some reason felt entitled and though I should back away from the area and let him go to his direction to the right instead of taking one step forward and walk past me.

What are your thoughts...
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Re: IN or OUT.

Post by MAPearce »

You must have been at the Richter Harvey one...

You did nothing wrong . You just met up with an @$$hole .
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

MAPearce wrote:You must have been at the Richter Harvey one...

You did nothing wrong . You just met up with an @$$hole .

Actually Glenmore, as I ponder this I wonder what he would have had to say if I just stood there and motioned him around where I stood? He was about five inches taller then I, but likely 50 lbs lighter.

He might have learned about old man tough if he wanted to go there. It is sad though one should even have to consider it. Maybe he should not be on his phones when walking, he did drive off while on it, hope the RCMP were there to stop him. Wouldn't that be Karma.
JollyGreenBully
Banned

Post by JollyGreenBully »

MAPearce wrote:You did nothing wrong . You just met up with an @$$hole .

Yeah, or maybe some people just don't like having doors opened for them. I know I don't. It assumes the other person is inferior and can't open a door for himself / herself. But sure, let's just call this guy an *bleep* even though we know nothing about him aside for the fact he didn't walk through a door someone opened for him.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

The guy needed to exit to make room for someone to enter - not just a general rule of thumb but common sense.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

JollyGreenBully wrote:Yeah, or maybe some people just don't like having doors opened for them.

It wasn't opened for him as it was already propped open (read the OP's post again).
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

JollyGreenBully wrote:
Yeah, or maybe some people just don't like having doors opened for them. I know I don't. It assumes the other person is inferior and can't open a door for himself / herself. But sure, let's just call this guy an *bleep* even though we know nothing about him aside for the fact he didn't walk through a door someone opened for him.

You missed it the door was open by a door stop. I was on the hinge side and stopped as he got to the threshold first. I'm 250 lbs, and stocky. I stopped when I saw him, so that he could exit.

I still wonder what he was thinking, old guy out of my way was the attitude he displayed. I'm not real old only 56.
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

You're not wrong, and it's surprisingly an ongoing issue now.

One of my many hats is event security management (I'm involved with planning and managing many of the most high profile "events" - concerts, sports, etc - in Western Canada) and yes, a part of the security plan coordination is regarding access management, and a large portion of that covers moving large groups of people, quickly, through points of access.

I've found that many people nowadays have mislabeled access points as areas to stop and use their phone.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

JollyGreenBully wrote:

To be fair, the door was propped open.

But opening and holding open doors for people is simply common courtesy. If I decide to open or hold a door for you or someone who doesn't like that, that's entirely your issue and not mine.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Ken7 wrote:You missed it the door was open by a door stop. I was on the hinge side and stopped as he got to the threshold first. I'm 250 lbs, and stocky. I stopped when I saw him, so that he could exit.

I still wonder what he was thinking, old guy out of my way was the attitude he displayed. I'm not real old only 56.
Then your not old and I've been there and I don't back down - I've always got the time to stand there and wait them out. Just do it with a :biggrin:
Temet Nosce
Board Meister

Post by Temet Nosce »

Ken7 wrote:Today I was going into Petro Can to pick up smokes for a friend I was going to visit. As I approached the door which was open with the use of a door stop there was a younger male ( 25 yrs old ) coming to the door to leave.

I stopped on the my left of the open door to allow him to exit the store. He stopped as he spoke on his cell phone and said, "I'm going that way." and pointed which I was standing I guess in the path he wanted to walk. He could have taken one step forward and walked around me. But he just stood there.

I laughed and shook my head like *bleep*. He then said, "What's your problem?" I explained, "I have no problem I was waiting for you to exit." He then made comment that he was waiting for me to move.

Was I right or wrong in stopping and then actually walking one step forward to walk around him. I should add two little boys had part of the door blocked with their scooters by about 10 inches.

I was raised to let people exit as he was closest to the door. He for some reason felt entitled and though I should back away from the area and let him go to his direction to the right instead of taking one step forward and walk past me.

What are your thoughts...

He's a *bleep*...
Temet Nosce
Board Meister

Post by Temet Nosce »

I really like my word better...what's wrong with
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Now I know why some guys say....
When in doubt...knock em out... :200:
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Yeah, or maybe some people just don't like having doors opened for them.

What ? You find it too emasculating ??

Wouldn't bother me a bit to make eye contact with someone going the opposite way . That way , you can avoid a collision which could result in spilling the slurpee , dropping the Cheetoes or even worse , putting a hole in that fresh can of Pepsi because it got knocked out of your hand as a result of said collision.

And what's so bad about being neighborly these days ?
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

JollyGreenBully wrote:
MAPearce wrote:You did nothing wrong . You just met up with an @$$hole .

Sometimes an asssshole is just an assshole and this guy seems to fit the bill. As for holding doors open for people? That is called being courteous and has nothing whatsoever to do with assuming anything about people.

crised! where the hell did you grow up?

Ide hold the door for you but then some doors can be heavy and I wouldn't want you to hurt anything
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition

Return to “Social Concerns”