Go-back-to-China

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Go-back-to-China

Post by Fancy »

zzontar wrote:She went into a Canadian store run by Chinese.

Have you seen the mall?
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

Why do so many people think this store needs to do the politically correct thing and cater to English/French speaking customers? Why can't they just cater to their core customer who is Chinese speaking?

A lot of you sure like to support being non-PC, until you're the one excluded.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

the truth wrote:
Silverstarqueen wrote:You have to wonder why she didn't want the interpretive help? Did she just want an opportunity to make a scene more than she wanted her groceries? If she needed brain surgery and the only doctor available spoke only chinese, would she sit there complaining loudly about his lack of english and insist he go back to China?

so your saying she planted this non speaking english person ,so she could make a scene [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif]
Don't get where you came up with that idea but please enlighten us as to why she made the scene knowing this is a major chain predominately Chinese? There are blocks and blocks of strip malls and neighbourhoods that cater to ethnic groups - this was one of them. There are other stores that as soon as you walk in you wonder what their first language is because it won't be English. Yelling at someone to go back to a different country because of a language barrier when there is someone there to help shows how ignorant people can be. And she still went about trying to order food and the employees were still willing to serve her. I really hope she took a look at that video and ask herself was it worth it.
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

Jonrox wrote:Why do so many people think this store needs to do the politically correct thing and cater to English/French speaking customers? Why can't they just cater to their core customer who is Chinese speaking?

它應該是英文的,因為這是加拿大。問題是許多使用這家商店的人不懂英文。駕駛時不需要你懂英語。當他們的汽車碰撞並且不能與其他駕駛員共同時,會發生什麼。
國家只需要一種語言。
允許所有語言的服務是災難的秘訣,當人口達到沒有官方語言的地步。
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I provided the translation when I posted from the website so I will ask you for the translation thanks. I am willing to work with an interpreter.
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

zzontar wrote:
I've never considered standing up for assimilation as being an *bleep*. If a westerner moves to China, starts a business but will only want to deal with westerners, doesn't want to learn the language nor wants anything to do with their culture, I'd also say they should have stayed home.

Interestingly enough, it's not illegal for someone to come to Canada, never learn French or English, or assimilate.

As much as individual opinion may differ, this entire issue and this lady's preferred language to speak sounds entirely like a "her problem."

Welcome to Canada. If she can't accept that its a multicultural society, maybe it is her that should move.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

FreeRights wrote:
zzontar wrote:
I've never considered standing up for assimilation as being an *bleep*. If a westerner moves to China, starts a business but will only want to deal with westerners, doesn't want to learn the language nor wants anything to do with their culture, I'd also say they should have stayed home.

Interestingly enough, it's not illegal for someone to come to Canada, never learn French or English, or assimilate.

As much as individual opinion may differ, this entire issue and this lady's preferred language to speak sounds entirely like a "her problem."

Welcome to Canada. If she can't accept that its a multicultural society, maybe it is her that should move.

Welcome to Canada, where no one can understand anyone as we all speak our own language so that no one is offended.
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

Sparki55 wrote:
Welcome to Canada, where no one can understand anyone as we all speak our own language so that no one is offended.

I think it's more about permitting people to live their lives as they see fit, without impacting anybody elses'.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Jonrox wrote:Why do so many people think this store needs to do the politically correct thing and cater to English/French speaking customers? Why can't they just cater to their core customer who is Chinese speaking?

I'm guessing you don't like that businesses have to cater to the handicapped when their core customers are not?
They say you can't believe everything they say.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

zzontar wrote:

I'm guessing you don't like that businesses have to cater to the handicapped when their core customers are not?

I'm not finding that makes sense. The business still catered to this woman even when she was rude.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

zzontar wrote:
She went into a Canadian store run by Chinese.

Have you seen the mall?

No, but I know it's a Canadian business run by Chinese.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

zzontar wrote:No, but I know it's a Canadian business run by Chinese.
It's a successful Chinese enterprise.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Fancy wrote: It's a successful Chinese enterprise.

I prefer to see successful Canadian enterprises, especially in Canada.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

zzontar wrote:I'm guessing you don't like that businesses have to cater to the handicapped when their core customers are not?

Although being able to speak only English is not considered a handicap, the store did try to accommodate her needs. Just as we would hope they would accommodate a handicapped person. That doesn't guarantee the person helped will appreciate it.
whitecandle
Board Meister

Post by whitecandle »

Frank Hong, the 15-year-old student who recorded the video, says other customers tried to defuse the situation by offering to translate for the woman. However, the woman refused to co-operate.

Employees at the supermarket say the woman berated staff for approximately 15-20 minutes on Friday.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/go-back-to ... -1.3443983
Remember yesterday. Dream tomorrow. Live like crazy today.

Return to “Social Concerns”