Go-back-to-China

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Sparki55
Guru

Go-back-to-China

Post by Sparki55 »

Link to storey,
https://www.castanet.net/news/Canada/198689/Go-back-to-China.

I don't agree with the way this was handled, very rude, however I feel that if you are going to offer a service in a country you should know how to speak the national language.

I see a growing issue with language barriers. If people choose to move to Canada who cannot speak a word of english there will be times where they cause great frustration to english speaking residents.

I believe that everyone should have to pass some sort of basic english test. My mistake if one already exists but from encounters I have had, some people would not have passed even the most basic.

Excerpts from the article:
"According to the Official Languages Act, only employees at federal institutions are required to provide service in French or English."

""I put this video out to show the world that racism and xenophobia and bigotry still exists in Canada, and we really need to work together to stop it," Hong said."

Racism and Xenophobia are not applicable when a language barrier is present. When not required to speak a native language to offer a service, how to people who grew up in Canada use this service? Will it not become extremely frustrating for english speaking Canadians to have to pick and choose where to shop based on language used? This is not a major issue yet but if this becomes more normal it could cause issues.

My question for the forum is: Why not make a law stating english is required for all workers in Canada that offer services to the public, government or not? Would such a law be viewed as racist? If so, why? To me english is a form of communication and does not have much to do with race.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Go-back-to-China

Post by Silverstarqueen »

First I think it is ludicrous to turn up in a chinese supermarket and insist that the workers not be chinese speakers. It's a matter of marketing, if they want to attract English, French, or Chinese speakers, then they serve customers in whatever language desired . If you want to be served in English, or French or chinese or greek etc, you turn up in whatever store where you expect that language would be spoken. The signs perhaps should be in English (or French, chinese), but as long as she is getting service, she shouldn't be too picky about the language. If she doesn't like the service of course it is her right to complain loudly, and waste everyone's time, or go elsewhere to get whatever language she prefers.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Of all cities to be complaining about this, Toronto is like mini united nations. Everything from Chinatown to little Jamaica to little Italy etc... etc
If the language a customer is most comfortable dealing in is not english & employee can understand, then go for it.
My suggestion to lady in the video go down the street to nearest Sobeys
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Sparki55 wrote:Link to storey,
https://www.castanet.net/news/Canada/198689/Go-back-to-China.

I don't agree with the way this was handled, very rude, however I feel that if you are going to offer a service in a country you should know how to speak the national language.

I see a growing issue with language barriers. If people choose to move to Canada who cannot speak a word of english there will be times where they cause great frustration to english speaking residents.

I believe that everyone should have to pass some sort of basic english test. My mistake if one already exists but from encounters I have had, some people would not have passed even the most basic.

Excerpts from the article:
"According to the Official Languages Act, only employees at federal institutions are required to provide service in French or English."

""I put this video out to show the world that racism and xenophobia and bigotry still exists in Canada, and we really need to work together to stop it," Hong said."

Racism and Xenophobia are not applicable when a language barrier is present. When not required to speak a native language to offer a service, how to people who grew up in Canada use this service? Will it not become extremely frustrating for english speaking Canadians to have to pick and choose where to shop based on language used? This is not a major issue yet but if this becomes more normal it could cause issues.

My question for the forum is: Why not make a law stating english is required for all workers in Canada that offer services to the public, government or not? Would such a law be viewed as racist? If so, why? To me english is a form of communication and does not have much to do with race.

the service should be provided in english or french or both last time i checked this was canada.if the person serving the food is going to work in the service industry the least they could do is speak a little english, in my opinion the lady in the wheel chair should never of said that whole go back to china crap, but i also feel that she had a valid the she was discriminated against ,asking for a little english was not and is not out of line
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

We live in a free country. The store owner is free to employ anybody he/she desires. If he think her inability to speak English doesn't interfere with his business - it's his store.
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

I, too, think that requiring people to speak English is unnecessary from a service perspective, and since we do operate as a free country in a open market economy, it doesn't make sense to instill further rules on who can come to Canada or who can run or work on a business.

That said, on a national security perspective, a lot of new arrivals who do not speak English may feel isolated from the English or French speaking majority. This prevents assimilation, so Quebec has a unique and effective provincial program that provides free French language classes to non-French speaking persons. It's an excellent middle ground that may help address this issue.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Even Steven wrote:We live in a free country. The store owner is free to employ anybody he/she desires. If he think her inability to speak English doesn't interfere with his business - it's his store.

what ever happened to coming to a new country and trying to fit in a little, is it so wrong to ask the person on the other side of the counter to learn a few words of english about the product they are selling ,is this too much to ask ?
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

This women is an *bleep*

When enough customers walk away for that reason they will learn fluent English .
Other than that I don't care.

Wanna take a guess what the bumper sticker on her ride is?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

It's a Chinese supermarket that has been around for years. The whole mall is Asian except maybe McDonalds.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Took a look at images of inside & outside of the store this took place at, it appears to be direct at mostly Asian customers.
Maybe going forward the owner should think about having staff able to speak english.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I doubt he cares when the mall is catering to Chinese. Lots of strip malls have Chinese lettering over English (if there is any).
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Key words here are Chinese market . I have no problem with any of this . The kid is right to think it's ridiculous and racist . The woman is rite they should learn a few English words . The commenters who said who cares are also rite . This is a Chinese market in metropolitan Toronto. Ya they speak Chinese. Just like 99.9 percent of their customers
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

the truth wrote:is this too much to ask ?

This is a free country. You can't ask them anything. You can take your business elsewhere and may be that will change their mind, but you can't force anybody speak the language of your choosing.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

We buy tea at Chinese supermarket in Richmond. None of the staff there speaks English.

Sell awesome tea though.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Even Steven wrote:
This is a free country. You can't ask them anything. You can take your business elsewhere and may be that will change their mind, but you can't force anybody speak the language of your choosing.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre ... =569&top=5

What language level do I need when I apply for citizenship?
If you are between the ages of 14 and 64 on the date you sign your application, you must meet the Canadian Language Benchmarks Level 4 (CLB 4) or higher in speaking and listening.

This means to become a Canadian citizen you must show that you have an adequate knowledge of English or French by providing, with your citizenship application, proof that you can speak and listen in English or French at CLB/NCLC 4 level or higher.

Seems they all must have skipped that day.
They say you can't believe everything they say.

Return to “Social Concerns”