Go-back-to-China

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Go-back-to-China

Post by Silverstarqueen »

You have to wonder why she didn't want the interpretive help? Did she just want an opportunity to make a scene more than she wanted her groceries? If she needed brain surgery and the only doctor available spoke only chinese, would she sit there complaining loudly about his lack of english and insist he go back to China?
Last edited by Silverstarqueen on Jun 6th, 2017, 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I'd say she was there to make a point - she knew there would be a good chance there would be limited English but all she did was shame herself.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

I could never understand why someone would move to a different country and want nothing to do with assimilating or wanting anything to do with the culture. It would be like not liking Chinese food, having no interest in learning Chinese, not wanting anything to do with Chinese culture... but you really want to move there!
They say you can't believe everything they say.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Happens in other countries too - maybe not on the same scale. There are whole neighbourhoods and strip malls catering to ethnic groups and I would suggest this woman knows it. Find a Sobey's, No Frills or Superstore (lots around) instead of a Chinese supermarket.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

zzontar wrote:I could never understand why someone would move to a different country and want nothing to do with assimilating or wanting anything to do with the culture. It would be like not liking Chinese food, having no interest in learning Chinese, not wanting anything to do with Chinese culture... but you really want to move there!

The people running the market were assimilated into the culture. They spoke a language which served their customers and their community, which happened to be Chinese. The Canadian culture is not just WASP, it is every country and language on the earth. Official gov't services are provided in English and French, super markets may vary, ethnic restaurants may vary. Their children no doubt go to school and will grow up to probably outperform Canadian born children, and have a higher rate of becoming doctors, lawyers, businesspeople than canadian born. If someone doesn't want their services, there are plenty of services offered in practically every other language in most large Canadian cities. If all the foreigners "went back to where they came from", Canadian culture and the whole country would fall on its face.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Silverstarqueen wrote:
The people running the market were assimilated into the culture. They spoke a language which served their customers and their community, which happened to be Chinese.

Please explain how they're assimilating to Canadian culture.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

The Chinese culture is growing so the store owners are catering to that community. I don't go into stores with predominantly Chinese signs because I know I may have trouble understanding the employees. No point in fighting such a growing community and making an *bleep* of yourself. Here's one of their flyers:
http://foodymart.com/foodymart-warden-flyer/
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Silverstarqueen wrote:
The people running the market were assimilated into the culture. They spoke a language which served their customers and their community, which happened to be Chinese.

zzontar wrote:Please explain how they're assimilating to Canadian culture.

For one, they were polite and willing to serve this obnoxious rude person. They are not on welfare complaining they can't get a job because of their lack of English or opportunities.
Maybe she should assimilate into Canadian culture where customers are polite to the people serving them.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

She did go on to order food. Maybe next time she'll try the T&T which isn't too far away. I don't think it was because the employees couldn't speak any English, just that she had trouble understanding them. She certainly didn't know the law so I don't put much faith into anything else she says.
OldIslander
Board Meister

Post by OldIslander »

Our culture of free enterprise is at work here. This store is not a charitable organization – it is there to earn a profit for the owners and shareholders. If they are 'lawfully' profitable with 'some' Chinese-only speaking employees, then more the power to them. If enough of their customers became annoyed by the lack of English speaking employees, then they would lose money and changes would be required.

I suspect that this well stocked Chinese grocery story, located in an area with a prominent Chinese speaking population, where employees speak fluent Chinese, is a 'gold mine'. They’d be nuts to change their business model, for one loud-mouthed, ignorant customer.
Last edited by OldIslander on Jun 6th, 2017, 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.” Ernest Benn
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Fancy wrote:The Chinese culture is growing so the store owners are catering to that community. I don't go into stores with predominantly Chinese signs because I know I may have trouble understanding the employees. No point in fighting such a growing community and making an *bleep* of yourself.

I've never considered standing up for assimilation as being an *bleep*. If a westerner moves to China, starts a business but will only want to deal with westerners, doesn't want to learn the language nor wants anything to do with their culture, I'd also say they should have stayed home.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

zzontar wrote:I've never considered standing up for assimilation as being an *bleep*. If a westerner moves to China, starts a business but will only want to deal with westerners, doesn't want to learn the language nor wants anything to do with their culture, I'd also say they should have stayed home.

She went into a Chinese store - she knew it before entering. Looks like she's at a deli inside the market. She has trouble understanding over the counter and then starts having a tantrum and won't accept help from anyone until later. And they did still want to deal with her. She was acting like a spoiled child and for what? Telling people that are working to leave the country? That is so unacceptable behaviour.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Fancy wrote:She went into a Chinese store - she knew it before entering.

She went into a Canadian store run by Chinese. There are also many businesses run by Ukrainians, Germans, etc. yet they have assimilated so they don't have this problem.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Silverstarqueen wrote:You have to wonder why she didn't want the interpretive help? Did she just want an opportunity to make a scene more than she wanted her groceries? If she needed brain surgery and the only doctor available spoke only chinese, would she sit there complaining loudly about his lack of english and insist he go back to China?

so your saying she planted this non speaking english person ,so she could make a scene [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif]
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

zzontar wrote:She went into a Canadian store run by Chinese. There are also many businesses run by Ukrainians, Germans, etc. yet they have assimilated so they don't have this problem.

成立於2001年,經過多年的打拼,已經成為多倫多華人超市大型連鎖的企業之一,總部位於加拿大最繁華、經濟最發達的多倫多。

開業初期,龍泰全體員工經過苦心經營、不懈努力、大膽嘗試、洞察先機,使豐泰集團在激烈的市場競爭中脫影而出。歷經十餘年創業,現已發展成為擁有8間大型 連鎖華人超市,經營網絡遍佈多倫多各大城市。總營業面積達3萬平方米,經營品種達4萬種;同時建立全現代化網絡覆蓋,實行進、銷、存一體化的電腦POS機 系統;年度銷售額不斷遽增,成為多倫多最大型華人超市零售企業之一。

作為一家綜合超市,其經營面積一般在60000平方米左右,擁有寬敞、舒適、明亮的購物通道和清新怡人的購物環境。各商品區域商品陳列錯落有致,色彩搭配 賞心悅目,生鮮食品芳香誘人,經營品種達十個門類,上萬個品種,滿足消費者一站式購物的需求。

展望未來,公司將禀承“真誠服務、共同成長“的宗旨,堅持專業化、規模化和特色化經營,與加拿大零售業的未來並肩同行。在此,多謝各界對於龍泰多年的支持。

Founded in 2001, having gone through years of hard work, Foodymart has become a major supermarket chain in Toronto, one of the most successful Chinese enterprises that is headquartered in the most prosperous, most economically-developed city in Canada.

From their website.

Return to “Social Concerns”