Rental too high

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.

Re: Rental too high

Postby Sparki55 » Sep 1st, 2017, 5:13 pm

Queen K wrote:Wow, it's about time. People need protection from illegal and shady evictions. Good for Ontario.

More red tape added, less landlords to serve the renters.

Lady tehMa likes this post.
Sparki55
Fledgling

Liked in: 118 posts

Postby Even Steven » Sep 1st, 2017, 8:15 pm

The demand is there, so why not charge a higher rent.

I know somebody who recently had to change tenants. He listed his place at $1,400/month and received 80 applications. I told him to raise it to $1,700 and see what happens. He received 35 applications. So, just for the hell of it, he re-listed it again at $1,900/month and still received 20 applications, picked a good tenant, and rented the place.

So, my advice netted him extra $15,000 since his average tenant stays between 2 and 3 years. With the same expenses!

I think he owes me a case of beer or something.

4 people like this post.
Even Steven
Übergod

Liked in: 1299 posts

Postby Lady tehMa » Sep 1st, 2017, 8:19 pm

I can see this from a few different sides.

I have a friend who is a landlord - they can't afford not to be. They have had nightmare tenants to the point that they ended up moving out of their own house whilst evicting the tenants from the basment suite. Tenants finally left but trashed the place, including leaving the oven on high with the door open, all the elements on, and the heat turned up high. In summer. It took months to make even their quarters livable again, much less the suite. The rental board screwed them over big time. Now every time they need to get a new tenant she get physically sick before interviews from the stress. Fortunately that doesn't happen often. They have upgraded the suite at every chance, too.

I have children who are still at home because they can't afford to live elsewhere, so they have made plans around that. Son will be joining the military, daughter will finish her schooling and look for work in other towns. I would love for them to live here, but it is looking like that is not an option.

I've lived in a few different places myself and only settled down here because I married a guy with roots. We probably wouldn't even be in a house if he hadn't bought the house off his parents when they were ready to leave town. Even so, the cost of repairing and renovating is eating into our bottom line. However, I wouldn't choose to rent so I'll deal with the downside (re-shingleing the carport roof tomorrow!).

The cost of everything is rising. I look a the cost of beef and wonder how long before we'll be forced to be vegetarian! It doesn't really pay to be a landlord anymore, but who can afford to buy? Who is responsible for providing housing? I have asked that last question in many threads, but there does not appear to be an answer.
I haven't failed until I quit.

Sparki55 likes this post.
Lady tehMa
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 3249 posts

Postby forum » Sep 3rd, 2017, 5:10 pm

Don't worry. The market is starting to sort itself out. (with a little help from the government)

http://www.bnn.ca/video/~1196674?hootPostID=77d3e2e0fdd773cf13c336d5150284ac
forum
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1050 posts

Postby Queen K » Sep 4th, 2017, 7:48 am

Just in the last few days I have heard of several people in severe rental crisis.

One said that if her landlord increases the rent on more time they have to leave the valley. Working two jobs just to pay rent is getting to be too much,

Another one took a rental under the understanding that the AirBnB will come first eight months from now. She has agreed to move out to accomodate the airbnb and is hopeful that the city of Kelowna will shut them down. I suspect she will be making her own phone call to inform by laws if the owner doesn't comply.

I heard of a woman who might be sleeping in her car by now, can't afford the rates right now and she is working.

Like what the hell? I feel like a chump for selling my rental sometimes. Other times, I'm glad I don't get those calls, "the dryer caught fire." Yes, that happened to me. And letters from strata, yes, again, happened.

So what is going to help people? :135:
Please edit "Horgan" to "Premier Horgan" to show solidarity towards a successful tenure. Remember: The NDP Government: 2017 thread is not in the Bickering Room.

Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 8736 posts

Postby forum » Sep 4th, 2017, 8:13 am

The market will balance out. It will take time. City council is useless and do not know how to effectively handle this matter.
I doubt they care. The problem doesn't touch them. Eventually the right person will be given the power to make change. Someone smarter than the current team of leaders. Someone that isn't tied in profiting with developers and real estate.

There will be a saturation point in the market where AirBNB won't be so lucrative.

No city can last without a healthy rental and affordable housing market. Our current leaders don't understand this. They also don't understand why the crime rate keeps going up.

At this rate eventually a plumber or house cleaner will cost $350/hr.

The working class will find a better place to live.

Some people believe the working class in Vancouver is moving to Kelowna. A few are, but they find out quickly that Kelowna has high crime, no culture, subpar venues, poor paying seasonal jobs, a goofy city council, and traffic problems. So they move again.

Most move to Ontario, or Vancouver Island.
forum
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1050 posts

Postby Queen K » Sep 4th, 2017, 8:31 am

I was telling someone about the dump of a house on Coronation being advertised at $2050/month and she says, "why does the city even allow that to happen."

Ya right, the city set rates. :200:

No sense in being the intellectual in the crowd to point out that the demand set rates and the city isn't involved.
Please edit "Horgan" to "Premier Horgan" to show solidarity towards a successful tenure. Remember: The NDP Government: 2017 thread is not in the Bickering Room.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 8736 posts

Postby Lady tehMa » Sep 4th, 2017, 9:39 am

forum wrote:The market will balance out. It will take time. City council is useless and do not know how to effectively handle this matter.
I doubt they care. The problem doesn't touch them. Eventually the right person will be given the power to make change. Someone smarter than the current team of leaders. Someone that isn't tied in profiting with developers and real estate.

There will be a saturation point in the market where AirBNB won't be so lucrative.

No city can last without a healthy rental and affordable housing market. Our current leaders don't understand this. They also don't understand why the crime rate keeps going up.

Some people believe the working class in Vancouver is moving to Kelowna. A few are, but they find out quickly that Kelowna has high crime, no culture, subpar venues, poor paying seasonal jobs, a goofy city council, and traffic problems. So they move again.

This is the largest city/town I have ever lived in. It is also one of the prettier ones, especially for ease of access to hiking, fishing, or just enjoying nature in general. I have lived in BC all my life and haven't traveled much to any of the other parts of Canada.

Many of my coworkers and my employer aren't from here. Or from BC. None of them are from small towns, all larger. One was telling me - when I was mourning the loss of fresh air - that on any given day in Toronto, that is what the air quality was like normally. One, who has lived in Hong Kong - was talking about how quiet the city is (comparatively). We were discussing rental rates and property value and someone said "People who think that they can keep this little corner all to themselves are in for a rude awakening." Our city is changing. We are growing. I will probably move to the outskirts when I retire - maybe Joe Rich or Ellison or Lake Country - because it is getting too busy for me.

I don't know what this means for rental rates, but I can't see them coming down.
I haven't failed until I quit.

Bsuds likes this post.
Lady tehMa
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 3249 posts

Postby JLives » Sep 4th, 2017, 9:46 am

Kelowna doesn't really have outskirts that will be less expensive
The closest place I have found is past Fintry or Beaverdell before you see more reasonable prices. It's still pricey though and the commute sucks
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."

JLives
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 4803 posts

Postby rustled » Sep 4th, 2017, 9:51 am

Lady tehMa wrote:
forum wrote:The market will balance out. It will take time. City council is useless and do not know how to effectively handle this matter.

This is the largest city/town I have ever lived in. It is also one of the prettier ones, especially for ease of access to hiking, fishing, or just enjoying nature in general. I have lived in BC all my life and haven't traveled much to any of the other parts of Canada.

Many of my coworkers and my employer aren't from here. Or from BC. None of them are from small towns, all larger. One was telling me - when I was mourning the loss of fresh air - that on any given day in Toronto, that is what the air quality was like normally. One, who has lived in Hong Kong - was talking about how quiet the city is (comparatively). We were discussing rental rates and property value and someone said "People who think that they can keep this little corner all to themselves are in for a rude awakening." Our city is changing. We are growing. I will probably move to the outskirts when I retire - maybe Joe Rich or Ellison or Lake Country - because it is getting too busy for me.

I don't know what this means for rental rates, but I can't see them coming down.

We need an "agree" button here. I don't like what you're saying, but I think it's entirely accurate. We live where people want to live (and where they want to own a second or third home for rec purposes or eventual retirement or what have you), and that drives up the cost of living here.

2 people like this post.
rustled
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 3950 posts

Previous

Return to Social Concerns