Billet the homeless

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.

Would/Will you open your home to the homeless?

Yes
5%
No
68%
Under conditions
10%
Only if I know them
15%
Other
3%

Total votes: 40

whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Re: Billet the homeless

Post by whatwhat »

fvkasm2x wrote:I know you weren't talking to me, but I don't want any more refugees from ANY country here. I'd rather our money go to the homeless for job training, mental health and addictions counseling. If the government takes my money anyway, I'd rather help out the disenfranchised and Canadian citizens first.

Which is great, but I truly don't believe that most people feel that way.

Every time there is a post about the homeless and services for them the usual NIMBY folks come out for pages and pages of the same drivel. They dont want to help because the money/help/services may be going towards the "homeless criminal junkies".

That negative biased opinion isn't going to change whether there are refugees or not.
hail Satan y'all
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

whatwhat wrote:
Which is great, but I truly don't believe that most people feel that way.

Every time there is a post about the homeless and services for them the usual NIMBY folks come out for pages and pages of the same drivel. They dont want to help because the money/help/services may be going towards the "homeless criminal junkies".

That negative biased opinion isn't going to change whether there are refugees or not.

I don't think that's a NIMBY thing, I think it's more of a "frustration by the lack of change" thing. I know we can't really know the numbers, but add up all the millions of $$ spent on homeless/addiction issues and then look at the success stories. How many people per year, would you estimate in Canada, that ACTUALLY change their lives? Actually get jobs or quit their addictions?

1%

Less?

You can't really blame people for feeling that their money is just being *bleep* away or worse, given to people to actually FEED their addiction. I know I feel that way a lot, especially since I see it first hand literally every day at work. For those that want to change, AWESOME. Give them MORE help. But the number of people I meet that actually try hard to make things better for themselves is really really low.
JollyGreenBully
Banned

Post by JollyGreenBully »

The homeless / addicts that supposedly don't want to change - do they start off in social programs really motivated? And then when they realize they aren't getting personal treatment to deal with their specific issues but are instead shoehorned into programs trying to help 30+ people do they get less motivated? And when they send out resume after resume, interview for job and after job, and continually aren't hired because they have no fixed address or their pupils are dilated or whatever, do they then just give up?

This is what I've seen again and again just by attending WorkBC seminars. There are a ton of homeless people and or addicts trying to change, aren't given a chance or even close to the right treatment, and then they give up and get blamed as slackers or people who truly don't want to change.

Any people who work professionally in this area want to correct me?
Iamsomeone
Fledgling

Re: Would You Take in a Homeless Person?

Post by Iamsomeone »

JLives wrote:It is estimated that only about 25% of homeless people are addicted to drugs. In the general population it's around 10%. It's higher in the homeless population due to self medicating because of their homelessness, a coping mechanism. Most drug addicts have housing.

I've been reading this thread and came upon your post JLives, FINALLY someone in this thread who doesn't relate the term homeless with drug addict.

Some people go to communities for jobs and for what ever reason, can't find accommodation. It's a reality in our world although many of us "old folks" might not be aware of it.

Looking at the bigger picture, Victoria has a rental problem. I see nothing wrong with the Mayor advocating other rental solutions.

She's not suggesting anyone rent to an unstable drug addict.
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Re: Would You Take in a Homeless Person?

Post by Barney Google »

Iamsomeone wrote:...
I've been reading this thread and came upon your post JLives, FINALLY someone in this thread who doesn't relate the term homeless with drug addict.

Some people go to communities for jobs and for what ever reason, can't find accommodation. It's a reality in our world although many of us "old folks" might not be aware of it.

Looking at the bigger picture, Victoria has a rental problem. ...

You're on the mark Iamsomeone, JLives is one perceptive smart cookie...you as well for recognizing that there's

more to this picture than addiction.

I do though disagee that Seniors be asked to open their doors...there just too much at risk if that happens.
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
gypsy68

Post by gypsy68 »

I personally have opened my home to many homeless people over the years, I've helped them find work, detox when necessary as no drugs are permitted in my home and I'm not stupid when it comes to drug abuse and addictions or how to detox a person, they know the rules coming in, they aren't strangers, usually friends or friends of good friends. I've been homeless, I was that addict, not at the same time but all times someone helped me. Sometimes complete strangers simply because I was a Canadian citizen homeless in Florida, other times family or friends, bottom line is we are all humans being and we all have to co-habitat with one another, I have had alot of success with those I've helped and I wouldn't change any of it, no regrets, never been harmed, stolen from or given any grief just the odd Thank You for saving and making a difference in someone's life. Don't tell me I'm lucky, I already know.
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

gypsy68 wrote:I personally have opened my home to many homeless people over the years, I've helped them find work, detox when necessary as no drugs are permitted in my home and I'm not stupid when it comes to drug abuse and addictions or how to detox a person, they know the rules coming in, they aren't strangers, usually friends or friends of good friends. I've been homeless, I was that addict, not at the same time but all times someone helped me. Sometimes complete strangers simply because I was a Canadian citizen homeless in Florida, other times family or friends, bottom line is we are all humans being and we all have to co-habitat with one another, I have had alot of success with those I've helped and I wouldn't change any of it, no regrets, never been harmed, stolen from or given any grief just the odd Thank You for saving and making a difference in someone's life. Don't tell me I'm lucky, I already know.

you're not lucky.
You made your own luck.

I wish there were more like you
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

People are homeless for a lot of reasons. My disabled family member was without a roof for a few months, and I'd like to think someone would have found space if we hadn't been able to.

It's tough when the person's a stranger, and perhaps more so in cities than in towns. Years ago I became aware of a woman living in a tent in our town park with her young daughter and her dog. She'd arrived to start a new job (was employed by someone I knew, and was making decent money) but wasn't going to be able to rent a place until payday. I invited her to stay with me for a bit. Her dog and my dog didn't get on, so she was only there a few days before she found herself a house-sitting opportunity to tide her over. It wasn't a problem. She just needed a bit of help getting back on her feet.

Not saying everyone should or could do it, but it's not a completely crazy concept.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

rustled wrote:People are homeless for a lot of reasons. My disabled family member was without a roof for a few months, and I'd like to think someone would have found space if we hadn't been able to.

It's tough when the person's a stranger, and perhaps more so in cities than in towns. Years ago I became aware of a woman living in a tent in our town park with her young daughter and her dog. She'd arrived to start a new job (was employed by someone I knew, and was making decent money) but wasn't going to be able to rent a place until payday. I invited her to stay with me for a bit. Her dog and my dog didn't get on, so she was only there a few days before she found herself a house-sitting opportunity to tide her over. It wasn't a problem. She just needed a bit of help getting back on her feet.

Not saying everyone should or could do it, but it's not a completely crazy concept.

Nailed it! This example is sort of where I was (long-windedly) going in my thoughts on an earlier posting - I finally ended up at there COULD BE circumstances where the person who needed lodging was known by either myself, or someone else I knew, and I would feel comfortable taking them in to help them along their path....
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

I've helped family members in time of need and still do. Families with children especially have to be careful which strangers are let in. Long ago when we rented a room fairly cheaply to strangers we ended up with two drug addicts, hooker/addict, older couple who broke stuff and did something that got them kicked out instantly. Had two respectful renters, one of which needed a place after breaking up and he was quite nice, and one native lady. We found the native lady a good job ($15/hr) and she was too lazy after one week to continue with it and buggered off in to the sunset. The addicts stole cough syrup and things, left a mess and garbage everywhere mixed in with their crack pipes. All of them gave the appearance of being hardworking, looking to get back on their feet disposition. Not doing it again seeing it was a bad experience for the majority of them. I'm not tired of helping those who need help, but many appear to want to remain in a harmful lifestyle no matter how much you offer help. So help may be available in a different form rather than providing a room. I apparently can't discern who is going to destroy their lives while living with my family.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

Upon reflection, I can't see the suggestion of people opening their homes was meant to include specifically the problematic active user or the stereo typical street person. More the down on their luck type that just needs a hand up like mentioned above.

The idea may not be the best but the message is clear and nice to be heard out loud- they're members of our community.
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.
Temet Nosce
Board Meister

Post by Temet Nosce »

I have taken in someone homeless (but wasn't a stranger) and honestly it wasn't easy and I might do it again but it really depends on the circumstances. It was difficult that person had a completely different lifestyle and was up all night and slept during day. Would come in at 3am and I would go to work sleep deprived...
I would love to send some feedback somehow directly to the Mayor asking her when she plans to provide food and shelter in her home for a homeless person....
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

JollyGreenBully wrote:The homeless / addicts that supposedly don't want to change - do they start off in social programs really motivated? And then when they realize they aren't getting personal treatment to deal with their specific issues but are instead shoehorned into programs trying to help 30+ people do they get less motivated? And when they send out resume after resume, interview for job and after job, and continually aren't hired because they have no fixed address or their pupils are dilated or whatever, do they then just give up?

This is what I've seen again and again just by attending WorkBC seminars. There are a ton of homeless people and or addicts trying to change, aren't given a chance or even close to the right treatment, and then they give up and get blamed as slackers or people who truly don't want to change.

Any people who work professionally in this area want to correct me?

so what's your point everything needs to made super easy for them everything on a sliver platter ? or they walk away,boooooooo hooooooooooo , -fact- life is not easy
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

Walk a mile, truth. I've battled with you for years haha, I've lain my story out but I don't think anyone on this board knows yours. I get anonymity, but, you had far from a "great" childhood, you're ESL, have a family, don't do "drugs" and mostly think most every one else are cry babies. And suspect you're French.

What's your deal?

Don't even bother coming back with contempt for the walk a mile idiom, that's your MO.
JollyGreenBully
Banned

Post by JollyGreenBully »

the truth wrote:so what's your point everything needs to made super easy for them everything on a sliver platter ? or they walk away,boooooooo hooooooooooo , -fact- life is not easy

I didn't say everything should be made super easy for people. Did you even read my post? I made an observation that just because there are services in place to help the homeless and others, it doesn't mean these services are effective. At all.

It always amazes me how quick people are to throw in some line about a silver platter or how life isn't easy when these stupid lines aren't applicable at all.

Return to “Social Concerns”