Welfare increase

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
jimmy4321
Guru

Re: Welfare increase

Post by jimmy4321 »

They should make it so that you can't receive social assistance or welfare for 2 yrs upon moving to BC. I think there are probably many that move here with no intention to work, just bum around and enjoy the climate. If they work and make it to 2yrs and get laid off, they can go on unemployment.

Also i think people shouldn't be eligible unless they have some disability and a Dr signed off on it. Even if the threshold were quite low, at least the truly capable of working would be ruled out. That way there would be no need to investigate or police these people for fraud or whatever we'd still save much more money.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

great points, :up:
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

jimmy4321 wrote:They should make it so that you can't receive social assistance or welfare for 2 yrs upon moving to BC. I think there are probably many that move here with no intention to work, just bum around and enjoy the climate. If they work and make it to 2yrs and get laid off, they can go on unemployment.

Also i think people shouldn't be eligible unless they have some disability and a Dr signed off on it. Even if the threshold were quite low, at least the truly capable of working would be ruled out. That way there would be no need to investigate or police these people for fraud or whatever we'd still save much more money.

Why 2 years? Are they moving from another country? I would think paying federal tax entitles a person to social programs the entire country offers our citizens.
But there are residency stipulations to prevent the very thing you speak of. 3 or 6 months.

So a person is eligible to work, great, even If one found a job and starts pay period cut off week, that means 3 weeks before a paycheque. Starve till then?

Welfare is not the drain on coffers people think it is and the people accessing it aren't all lazy slobs that people think either.
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

I couldn't care less when they go on unemployment, guess whatever the time period it is for whatever area- depending on the employment rate.
Guess my greater point is nobody would care who was on Social Assistance if we all knew those on it had some legit medical issue.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

jimmy4321 wrote:I couldn't care less when they go on unemployment, guess whatever the time period it is for whatever area- depending on the employment rate.
Guess my greater point is nobody would care who was on Social Assistance if we all knew those on it had some legit medical issue.

Here is were the problem lies, Social Assistance/Welfare is totally different then Disability. One is unable to find work (or just don't want to), the other is an actual medical issue causing the person unable to work (either physical or mental illness).

But some still lump the 2 together.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

Yeah didn't really mean to lump the two together but i did - apology to those on disability.

Also , don't live or move to one of the most expensive cities in Canada and whine that welfare isn't enough. Plenty of cheap little towns across Canada you can do nothing in.
Funny how some people sacrifice moving away from family across the country for better opportunity and yet others won't move away from family to get off welfare.
gypsy68

Re: Welfare increase: That increase for PWD clients was simp

Post by gypsy68 »

whitecandle wrote:Beginning Sept. 1, 2016, all Persons with Disability (PWD) clients will receive a rate increase of up to $77 a month – providing extra support to 100,000 people in B.C.

Beginning April 1, 2017, everyone who has the Persons with Disabilities Designation will receive $50 more each month. This amounts to an additional $600 each year.
/
That money that you speak of was not a raise it was simply shuffling our bus pass and transportation allowance onto our monthly cheque, your "quote" was another "Liberal" Lie.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

gypsy68 wrote:
whitecandle wrote:Beginning Sept. 1, 2016, all Persons with Disability (PWD) clients will receive a rate increase of up to $77 a month – providing extra support to 100,000 people in B.C.

Beginning April 1, 2017, everyone who has the Persons with Disabilities Designation will receive $50 more each month. This amounts to an additional $600 each year.
/
That money that you speak of was not a raise it was simply shuffling our bus pass and transportation allowance onto our monthly cheque, your "quote" was another "Liberal" Lie.

It was a helpful increase in benefit to those who couldn't use the bus pass. Those who could use the bus pass were getting a benefit unavailable to many PWDs, so it was an effort to make it fair for all. Of course, those who could use the transit pass felt ripped off, but seemed unconcerned with the inequity the government was trying to rectify.

Others have mentioned rent. Many PWD designates also receive assistance with their rental accommodation (e.g. through BC Housing), which is in addition to the monthly payment. And many receive assistance in the form of services from independent service providers.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.

Return to “Social Concerns”