Welfare increase

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
bobbbit4

Welfare increase

Post by bobbbit4 »

You know, yes welfare is pretty low for a single person, the way everything is going up, rent, food, ect, But when it comes to some welfare ppl and I have in my building, they sit and smoke pot all day and party, a lot of them theres no reason why they cant be out working, NO EXCUSE, maybe the welfare should focus on weeding these ppl out, ppl that need it, disabled or other reason , yes, no one can live on this kind of money, maybe they should try it, same goes for 15.00 per hour, min wage, whens that going to happen?????? this is very sad, the government should try living on it,
gypsy68

Re: Welfare increase

Post by gypsy68 »

I agree they also promised raises to Disability Pension but not hearing nothing about that now, I think people on welfare need to be put into some type of work program, I am on Disability Pension and still have to work to make ends meet. I have more disabilities and health issues than I would wish on my worst enemy, I come home barely able to walk, yet I work, our system needs serious reevaluating for welfare recipients. It's not a lifestyle and unless you're waiting for disability to be approved it should have a time limit with mandatory job search through workbc or another job placement agency. Rent should be paid direct to prevent homelessness and mandatory drug testing, if they fail, then vouchers for their food with picture ID, that are non-transferable and if that doesn't work, rehab. I have no sympathy for people who don't work, I raised 2 special needs children all the while I qualified for Disability Pension and didn't take it til absolutely necessary and even then I kept working and still do. It's just getting harder to keep a job as it's harder to hide my Disabilities.
richardclank
Fledgling

Post by richardclank »

also living on disability despite now mainly being in the united states. it's frustrating how people on disability (who are working) get lumped in with those who are just collecting a cheque. i'm sure some of them are being judged unfairly, but a lot of people just want a cheque.
whitecandle
Board Meister

Post by whitecandle »

Beginning Sept. 1, 2016, all Persons with Disability (PWD) clients will receive a rate increase of up to $77 a month – providing extra support to 100,000 people in B.C.

Beginning April 1, 2017, everyone who has the Persons with Disabilities Designation will receive $50 more each month. This amounts to an additional $600 each year.
Remember yesterday. Dream tomorrow. Live like crazy today.
richardclank
Fledgling

Post by richardclank »

the $77 raise didn't help people that were using bus passes but the $50 raise in April was definitely a good start
whitecandle
Board Meister

Post by whitecandle »

If the ones who used a bus pass kept it, they received a $25/month increase. Depending on how often they used transit they could forfeit the pass and purchase tickets, they would receive the $77/month.
richardclank
Fledgling

Post by richardclank »

i see, i just received the $77 so i wasn't sure
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Top amount for a single person on disability is $12,401.04 per/year.... full-time minimum wage earner is $22,568 per/year
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
whitecandle
Board Meister

Post by whitecandle »

As of April 1, 2017, disability assistance rates will rise by $50 per month, or an annual total of $600. Once the increase takes effect, a single person with the PWD designation will receive $1,033 per month in disability assistance, up from $983.

•Annualizing earnings exemptions to $9,600 per year, so people with disabilities can have more flexibility in their work schedule;
•Exempting child maintenance and federal Employment Insurance maternity and parental benefits for people receiving income or disability assistance; and,

https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2017SDSI0018-000348

***A person on PWD receives $12,396.00 ($1,033/month x 12) plus they can earn $9,600 ($800/month) before any earnings are clawed back dollar for dollar for a total of $21,996.00/annum.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

whitecandle wrote:As of April 1, 2017, disability assistance rates will rise by $50 per month, or an annual total of $600. Once the increase takes effect, a single person with the PWD designation will receive $1,033 per month in disability assistance, up from $983.

•Annualizing earnings exemptions to $9,600 per year, so people with disabilities can have more flexibility in their work schedule;
•Exempting child maintenance and federal Employment Insurance maternity and parental benefits for people receiving income or disability assistance; and,

https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2017SDSI0018-000348

***A person on PWD receives $12,396.00 ($1,033/month x 12) plus they can earn $9,600 ($800/month) before any earnings are clawed back dollar for dollar for a total of $21,996.00/annum.

What about those who are unable to work, but want to be independent. No one can live on $12,400 per year unless they are forced to live in group home.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
richardclank
Fledgling

Post by richardclank »

There's a $30-35 Christmas bonus so it's 12,430 if it matters. People can also live with siblings or family obviously but i'm sure a lot are forced to work.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

richardclank wrote:There's a $30-35 Christmas bonus so it's 12,430 if it matters. People can also live with siblings or family obviously but i'm sure a lot are forced to work.

Living with Family members will effect the amount paid by BC Disability i.e no rent etc... etc
Province will not pay out anymore then they absolutely have to, if they can shave off more they most certainly will.

Added later: the hoops the Province has those looking to get on Disability and jump threw in many cases is crazy. Welfare is piece cake compared to Disability
richardclank
Fledgling

Post by richardclank »

GordonH wrote:Living with Family members will effect the amount paid by BC Disability i.e no rent etc... etc

I've never heard of this. No government agent has even asked me if i pay rent or how much I pay.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:Living with Family members will effect the amount paid by BC Disability i.e no rent etc... etc

richardclank wrote:I've never heard of this. No government agent has even asked me if i pay rent or how much I pay.

Interesting, a friend with a bipolar the government appears to be checking that he does pay rent each month.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

Better than a tiny increase in welfare would be more jobs. I am certain that most welfare recipients would rather have gainful employment.

Return to “Social Concerns”