KSS Greystokes Grad Party

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: KSS Greystokes Grad Party

Post by Fancy »

Leaving behind a mess isn't acceptable. Pack out the trash is something that shouldn't have to be said to a graduating class - they know better. Everyone that was there is responsible and goes to show that even the parents turn a blind eye or think it's okay because someone went up after the fact to clean up. It's not okay.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Relentless »

LTD wrote:all you've done is spew hate towards young people partying I can choose a different word if it makes ya feel better and for the record I don't agree with the mess that was left behind either but to paint em all with the same brush isn't fair I guess you were never young or never had any fun musta been boring :130:

I guess it's all about how you were raised.
We were raised to cleanup if we made a mess.
40 years ago we had parties, we cleaned and kept order as the party went on. Dedicated bags for garbage and dedicated bag for cans and bottles, we kept order.
It's hard for people to picture keeping a party spot clean and orderly because the norm now a days is to litter and smash things, and we can see it in our backwoods everywhere.
It's funny how someone would think a party would be boring if order was kept as well as not making a mess as the party went on, but I guess this is the mentality of some.
We were raised to never make or leave a mess, and to respect the backwoods.
So, yes I have a hatred to the younger generation who cannot use common sense and treat the back country like their parents home, and the order that should be kept there!
I have cleaned many party spots in the backwoods, and have been picking up bottles and cans from others for over 35 years now, and unfortunately, many adults of all ages never learned the concept of respecting our forests, so I guess their kids wouldn't be any better.
janiecy

Grads clean up

Post by janiecy »

I can't help but feel that this article is really showcasing the wonderful efforts of the KSS Student Union president assuming that no other celebrating teenager from the city bothered to look after their mess. Are there any pictures before the KSS party? Get a few more facts about this as there are some wonderful, responsible young people in our community, including from Rutland!
lightspeed
Guru

Re: Grads clean up

Post by lightspeed »

Meh. Looks good attached to a resume.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Title should read ..

" Grads got CAUGHT, Cleaned Up After "...

Snot nosed punks wouldn't have done a thing if they didn't get caught .
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

I don't know... when I was 16/17 we went to a lot of senior/grad parties in the bush.

Underage drinking, fights and sex. Probably some sexual assaults, before that kind of thing really came to the forefront of social awareness. This was in the mid 90s, so imagine what they're like now?

I can't imagine things are any better with kids, in fact... I bet they're even wors

I did too ... Except for the sexual assaults , It was what we did .

But my generation wasn't disrespectful to the environment like the kids now a days are .. We knew that if we got caught BECAUSE we left that sort of mess , we'd get our *bleep* kicked 14 shades of purple .

7 shades for the mess we left and 7 more for being stupid enough to get caught leaving it ...

I blame the lefty parents who " there , there " children and don't teach them "accountability"
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
gsc
Board Meister

Post by gsc »

Either way they cleaned it up. I could care less if they did it beacuse they got caught or had planed to do it the day after. The point is they cleaned it up and others dident half to.

With the amount that illegal is featured in the media it would have looked extreamly bad if they dident. I also want to point out that im sure there was a bit of garbage there before they even started to party and every thing looks to be cleaned up now.

I for one am not a huge fan of grad partys but it will never change and has been going on for many years. The locations change but the end result is for the most part the same. I will say though i am very happy that this group had it cleaned up.

I get that we where all young once and had fun lets just hope that the grad class of 2018 cleans up there mess before others half to.
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Relentless »

MAPearce wrote:Title should read ..

Yes, I think you pretty much said it as it is.....
Except, I think it was only 2 good young adults that went and cleaned it up, the other snot nosed punks didn't help with the cleanup, just the mess!
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

UltraViolet wrote:Yes, I think you pretty much said it as it is.....
Except, I think it was only 2 good young adults that went and cleaned it up, the other snot nosed punks didn't help with the cleanup, just the mess!

Damned if they do - damned if they don't. As gsc just said, at least they cleaned it up - and did so right away.

I attended many a bush party in my high school years, and unfortunately I can't remember ever cleaning up after any of the bush parties we had - and we had them pretty much every weekend at one of the many "popular" locations at the time. I'm most certain I crossed paths with more than just some of you here at one time or another. Peach Flats; Chute Lake (both part of the Kettle Valley development now); The Buckets in East Kelowna (now the parking lot for the Myra Bellevue trails); upper and lower Gallagher's Canyon (before and after the suspension bridge was removed); Rifle Road (now part of the Dilworth Mtn. development); Frost Rd.(now part of the Southridge area); Beau Sejour Beach (now a dog beach) - and of course there were many more. The point is - most of us turned out just fine. Calling grads "snot-nosed punks" just means you've now become just like your parents - congratulations. Get off the moral high horses once in a while and cut some kids some slack. You'd think they caused the Valdez disaster or something.
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Relentless »

WalterWhite wrote:
Damned if they do - damned if they don't. As gsc just said, at least they cleaned it up - and did so right away.

Get off the moral high horses once in a while and cut some kids some slack. You'd think they caused the Valdez disaster or something.

FYI, this type of activity is one of the reasons the Okanagan Forest Task Force was created, so yes, technically people are creating a disaster in our backwoods everywhere they can!
And if I remember right, there weren't any of them partiers helping cleanup the forest when I was part of that cleanup group!
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

WalterWhite wrote:

Get off the moral high horses once in a while and cut some kids some slack. You'd think they caused the Valdez disaster or something.

UltraViolet wrote:FYI, this type of activity is one of the reasons the Okanagan Forest Task Force was created, so yes, technically people are creating a disaster in our backwoods everywhere they can!
And if I remember right, there weren't any of them partiers helping cleanup the forest when I was part of that cleanup group!

I'm completely aware of, and fully support, what the OFTF is accomplishing. Maybe if every available avenue for late teens to blow off a little steam weren't shot down before they even got off the ground, they wouldn't have to resort to driving an hour out into the recreational backcountry just to celebrate one of the biggest accomplishments in their lives to date tipping back beers with their buds. How about rather than vilifying them for doing what was right - they get a simple "thanks" for righting a wrong. It got cleaned up - get over it.
spooker

Post by spooker »

Sometimes others have to put up an extra effort to make up for those that don't ... I commend the president and the helper that stepped up to do the right thing ... hopefully those that were actually responsible for the mess read the coverage, while they might not have the balls to have come forward maybe they'll make a different choice the next time

People walking down the street toss their plastic cups to the sidewalk ... I find cigarette butts in the rocks outside my fence ... I just pick it all up and throw it away ... I'm no better a person, I've tossed my share of trash in the wrong place ... and I don't condemn others for it ...

Let's talk about the fact that there are people who know the right thing to do ... give the attention where it will generate more good behaviour instead of continuing to reward bad behaviour with attention ...
onestop67
Guru

Post by onestop67 »

Or "Grad President saw article and actually did the right thing".

Goof
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

There's been some discussion amongst Joe Richers about this...seein' as how this Community is the one where some

of these parties happen and we're being impacted up here.

Interestingly, it's been noticed by residents up here that some parents are dropping kids off and picking them up.

Hummm...so Mom/Dad you approve/condone this mess your kids leave behind and the impact this has on a rural Community?

Forget the loud partying and mess and that these kids might get hurt or die out here in all the revelry..how about the little

niggling concern that a campfire might get out of control and others lives and properties will be impacted?

Our fire department and first responders are volunteers folks...RCMP and Ambulance are sometimes 30/45 minutes away!

Ultimately this is the parents who need to give their heads a shake!

Grads/kids wanna party?

Rent your kids a venue and supply the security and support to ensure their safety and the safety of others!

You wouldn't tolerate this in your backyard...why should we?

Edited to add:

Good on the students who came back and cleaned up...your parents raised you right!

Thank you very, very much!!!
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown

Return to “Social Concerns”