We have a Queen, so what about Knights and Dames Commanders?

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
f/22
Board Meister

We have a Queen, so what about Knights and Dames Commanders?

Post by f/22 »

We have a Queen, so what would it take to become a Knight or Dames Commander?

http://mentalfloss.com/article/21056/ho ... ome-knight

<snip>
What do you have to do to get a knighthood?

While lots of notable figures are offered the honor of joining the Order of the British Empire, only a few heavy hitters get to become knights and dames commander. Simply put, these higher honors go to the bigger names. For example, current Dames Commander include Judi Dench, Jane Goodall, and Helen Mirren. Generally, it's a good idea to make a pretty substantial service and cultural contribution to the British realm.
<snip>

And,

<snip>

Do you have to be a knight if it's offered to you?

. . .

Keith Richards turned down a spot as Commander of the British Empire and viciously mocked bandmate Mick Jagger for taking a knighthood, which he called a "f---ing paltry honour."

Generally, when a person declines an honor, they don't crow to the media about it. Rather, they discreetly tell the tale after some time has passed.
<snip>

How would you react if you thought you’d met the qualifications for Knighthood and were offered the honour from the Queen?

If I was offered, I know I wouldn’t ‘crow’ about it, and if I declined, I wouldn’t immediately ‘crow’ about that either.
What_the
Übergod

Re: We have a Queen, so what about Knights and Dames Command

Post by What_the »

I'd accept. Damn, how important would I feel being called sir _____ _____. And not because the kids at drive through think I'm old! :yahoo:
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.

Return to “Social Concerns”