Women discuss the Environics Survey of Muslims in Canada

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
f/22
Board Meister

Women discuss the Environics Survey of Muslims in Canada

Post by f/22 »

The Environics Institute’s Survey of Muslims in Canada 2016

http://www.environicsinstitute.org/uplo ... report.pdf
f/22
Board Meister

Re: Women discuss the Environics Survey of Muslims in Canada

Post by f/22 »

From the OP video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKXFQ7l86n0),

7:07 Aisha Kaja

. . . In the report it said that Canadian Muslims said they are proud to be Canadians but they also feel a little more stronger in their Muslim identity. So . . . how do we understand that? Are you a Canadian and then a Muslim . . . how do we understand that statistic?

And David ‘the Menzoid’ Menzies of Rebel Media suggest we should understand it this way:

But, back to the OP video, Azeezah Kanji suggests:

7:27 Azeezah Kanji

First of all I think that the question is a little misleading because it’s based on a false dichotomy between being a Muslim and being a Canadian and I think for many Muslims in Canada that’s not the way that they experience their identity, I don’t think it would occur to many Muslim Canadians to think about ranking which identity is more important to them, so that the question itself is perhaps based on a false dichotomy. But I also think we need to think critically about this pressure that’s always being place on Muslim Canadians to proclaim themselves proud and to proclaim themselves almost hyper-patriotic in an environment where Muslims’ loyalty to the country is always under suspicion, and so I think instead of as a community working towards a place where we are simply proud to be Canadian, I think the real sign of security of belonging is the ability to be critical of the country we’re in, not just to be proud of it . . ..

Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

What a long report, ill have to find time to concentrate on it. Skimming through it, it reads like liberal propaganda, with irrelevant questions posed, and wiggled stats... such as 13% of people don't agree that Muslims should pray in public schools. Wow. In Muslim patriarchal homes, it is good to reject homosexuality. I am skeptical about a report like this funded by an organization that wants Canadians to integrate with Muslims.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
Alexa1994

Post by Alexa1994 »

I love Muslims, and many of my friends are Muslims. I find them very positive and peaceful. :up: :up:
f/22
Board Meister

Post by f/22 »

Jlabute, thanks for watching / reading.

The 2016 Environics Survey is a follow-up / comparison to the 2007 Environics survey which was taken when Harper was in minority (last modified in 2014).

Here’s you go.

http://www.horizons.gc.ca/eng/content/m ... ics-survey

Alexa1994, yes, I met many Muslim when I was attending UBCO in 2015. Wonderful people :smt045 :sunshine: .

Return to “Social Concerns”