These People Exist in Kelowna?

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
f/22
Board Meister

These People Exist in Kelowna?

Post by f/22 »

Warning: emotional language.

Last edited by f/22 on Jul 17th, 2017, 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Temet Nosce
Board Meister

Re: These People Exist in Kelowna?

Post by Temet Nosce »

removed
Last edited by Temet Nosce on Jan 24th, 2018, 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bob57

Post by bob57 »

Good for you for taking the time to voice your opinion and,I agree,the truth.Unfortunatley this has been the case in this society for generations.We are all equal,but some are more equal than others
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

Temet Nosce wrote:Self absorbed, money focused, shallow people who only care only about themselves and what they can gain in life exist everywhere...
Also, people like Dennis who he described in the video who care about others and keep rents low for lower income also exist everywhere--including Kelowna.
So yes "these people" good, bad, selfish, generous all exist in Kelowna and elsewhere. Tired of hearing negative about Kelowna people.
Personally I found the video annoying and didn't finish watching it. A bit too dramatic and self indulgent IMO.

Shame you didn't listen to the last 30 seconds. Makes your last sentence, well, to his point.
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.
f/22
Board Meister

Post by f/22 »

I believe Scotty’s ‘lady’ was talking about her possibility of profiting from the misfortunes of both 'luxury' as well as low-income multi-unit housing dwellers in Kelowna. The reaction to his story makes me wary of sharing my own similar story here. Lesson learned, thanks.
Temet Nosce
Board Meister

Post by Temet Nosce »

It is a public forum so by all means share whatever you like.....Kelowna bash away. BTW I am always also a little leery of "U tubers" that generate videos for profit via shock value.
And I would rather spend my energy on supporting those less fortunate in the community and recognizing the positive actions of others.
Carry on... :130:
Temet Nosce
Board Meister

Post by Temet Nosce »

What_the wrote:
Temet Nosce wrote:Self absorbed, money focused, shallow people who only care only about themselves and what they can gain in life exist everywhere...
Also, people like Dennis who he described in the video who care about others and keep rents low for lower income also exist everywhere--including Kelowna.
So yes "these people" good, bad, selfish, generous all exist in Kelowna and elsewhere. Tired of hearing negative about Kelowna people.
Personally I found the video annoying and didn't finish watching it. A bit too dramatic and self indulgent IMO.

Shame you didn't listen to the last 30 seconds. Makes your last sentence, well, to his point.

Sorry was tired...I should have written self absorbed and I am suspect of the video. He has other videos as well, his online dating experience etc.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

Self absorbed people who have absolutely no empathy for those who are less fortunate than themselves abound in all countries and all cultures. They always have, and they always will. So I'm not sure why this guy is so shocked when confronted by it.

I'm not condoning the behaviour of people like the lady he describes; merely pointing out that such attitudes are commonplace, and not new. That said, I do think that today's "it's all about me" kind of society exacerbates the problem by feeding into the worst aspects of human nature, but don't see any positive change coming any time soon. As long as we continue to value material things above all else, nothing will change.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

I think it is human nature to consider whether or not something will affect one's property value. (Attend a re-zoning public hearing or two!) We humans tend to consider our own needs first. Some of us are more generous and empathetic than others. Just consider the varying viewpoints on a public forum!
I think this guy's rant is a little over the top. He is taking the comments of one person on one occasion and using that as a basis to judge her and much of Kelowna.
He says the landlord of the motel is a "saint". He may be, or he may have been holding the property for his own reasons. (Interesting how someone providing low-income housing on Hein Road is labelled a slumlord, not a saint!)
Ironic that the creator of the video has not made any attempt to understand or empathize with the woman he criticizes for not understanding or empathizing with those negatively affected by the fire. Be the change...
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.

Return to “Social Concerns”