USA should partner with Canada about Healthcare.

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Osoyoos_Familyof4
Board Meister

USA should partner with Canada about Healthcare.

Post by Osoyoos_Familyof4 »

Now that the USA is continuing to struggle about what they're going to do about healthcare, they should join us. I know this sounds crazy, but indulge me here:

Maybe we don't completely "share" the same network, but we act cooperatively to solve a problem. If we came up with a very generous package to pay doctors, where they would be paid very generously (maybe they deserve to be rich, buy perhaps not insanely rich) we could keep brain drain to the USA. Some might then defect to Europe, but I suspect most wouldn't. We come up with fair compensation for their education, their time commitment, the cost of living in their region, etc.

What kind of buying power could we have if we were to price-fix medical supply manufacturers who charge insane amounts for the endless plastic do-dads we pay for in health care supplies. When a piece of medical grade plastic costs hundreds of dollars, there is something rotten in this process. Same for drug manufacturers.

I don't begrudge anyone making a handsome living, but when we're talking about healthcare, the open market just doesn't hold merit. Companies who supply healthcare are corrupt to the bone, same as military suppliers. So, we simply just refuse to accept it, change everything about everything and have multi-country cooperation to manage their greed.

spooker

Re: USA should partner with Canada about Healthcare.

Post by spooker »

Two names ... Martin Shkreli and Heather Bresch ... these are the faces of capitalism gone awry, the poster children for "fleece them now" ...

Regulations help keep people safe, but also are used as the excuse to have higher prices due to the R&D costs associated to adhere to said regulations ...

Doctors should be given respect in a decent paycheque ... but should they be on a pedestal so they can buy the Ferrari?

I feel for the Americans and all the crap that relates to the healthcare and insurance issues ... but no, I wouldn't want to partner with them ... maybe just lend them our model (in parts, not all is perfect here either)
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Osoyoos_Familyof4 wrote:Now that the USA is continuing to struggle about what they're going to do about healthcare, they should join us. I know this sounds crazy, but indulge me here:

Maybe we don't completely "share" the same network, but we act cooperatively to solve a problem. If we came up with a very generous package to pay doctors, where they would be paid very generously (maybe they deserve to be rich, buy perhaps not insanely rich) we could keep brain drain to the USA. Some might then defect to Europe, but I suspect most wouldn't. We come up with fair compensation for their education, their time commitment, the cost of living in their region, etc.

What kind of buying power could we have if we were to price-fix medical supply manufacturers who charge insane amounts for the endless plastic do-dads we pay for in health care supplies. When a piece of medical grade plastic costs hundreds of dollars, there is something rotten in this process. Same for drug manufacturers.

I don't begrudge anyone making a handsome living, but when we're talking about healthcare, the open market just doesn't hold merit. Companies who supply healthcare are corrupt to the bone, same as military suppliers. So, we simply just refuse to accept it, change everything about everything and have multi-country cooperation to manage their greed.

I agree with you...

"this sounds crazy",,, yes it does, and on top of that,,,,, it is.

The US system is completely out of control. It is a perfect example of how, in some areas, the free market does not work.

The US has a system of private health insurance with private hospitals and clinics, and is and has for a long time, experienced costs that are out of this world. The Dems under President Obama implemented a system of mandatory purchase of insurance coupled with government subsidies. The subsidies coming from taxing businesses and the wealthy to supplement the prohibitive costs and still premiums for many are phenomenal and going up.

How would you like to pop in to your doctor's office (a doctor you were assigned to, by your private health insurance company) and pay a $1000.00 deductible for your treatment ? Or have an emergency that needed (not life and death) treatment and you had to drive past a few hospitals that were not ones your insurance would allow you to go to, to get to one the insurance dealt with.

Now we have the Republicans trying to concoct a system that keeps the basic free market involved, and then trying to cut the tax burden on businesses and the wealthy. Sorta like trying to teach your dog not to eat "I just about got him trained and he died".

The further our own politicians keep their grubby little paws and their pea brains from any ideas about the US system the better we will be.

Ya, I know we have a segment of our population that says "if only government was run like a business it would be much better". In some cases yes, in others a resounding NO.

The US has a businessman running their country, how's that working out ?

If we were going to join with another country, or other countries, to increase our "buying power", why not join with a country or countries that have experience some success in dealing with the medical industry ?

Our (health care) ship is still afloat, do we tie up to another ship that's in good shape (like some European countries are with their health care) or the USS Obama Care, that floundering and likely heading for the bottom ????
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Osoyoos_Familyof4
Board Meister

Post by Osoyoos_Familyof4 »

Um, I think we're on the same team here @ 5 cents. I agree with you.

I meant albeit poorly articulated, they they should adopt our model and we should cooperate at getting together so that drug manufacturers and medical supply manufacturers can't be allowed to rape us with immunity.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Since a majority of hospitals in US are privately owned & operated, trying to come up with health care for everyone is going to be a nightmare. Not to mention the price tag..... ouch (more then likely trillions).
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Osoyoos_Familyof4 wrote:Um, I think we're on the same team here @ 5 cents. I agree with you.

I meant albeit poorly articulated, they they should adopt our model and we should cooperate at getting together so that drug manufacturers and medical supply manufacturers can't be allowed to rape us with immunity.

I guess the way I see it. If we "join forces" with another jurisdiction to try to reduce medical costs, why join up with the country that pays the most, instead of one or ones that already pays a fair price.

We don't owe the US, our help and I feel that the US has so many problems with the health care, that we'd be best to avoid any of it.

The US is dealing with a system that is intermingled with private insurance. Private insurance is well knows for deals and kick backs. That's why many private insurance providers dictate which hospitals and even which doctors, a patient must attend. So, do they get a "piece of the action" when it comes to prescription medicine medical supplies ?
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by youjustcomplain »

GordonH wrote:Since a majority of hospitals in US are privately owned & operated, trying to come up with health care for everyone is going to be a nightmare. Not to mention the price tag..... ouch (more then likely trillions).

Nailed it.

If Canada could get the provinces and Territories together on the same pharmacare plan, then we'd save a lot of money and make live saving drugs more available. Instead, we can't seem to. Now, if Canada can't get it's *bleep* together, we shouldn't expect the USA to somehow join us in this mess.

Canada needs to get its universal pharmacare working. I doubt we could ever share a "business model" with the USA. Ever. But, a North American Pharmacare plan is conceivable.

Return to “Social Concerns”