Poor Choice of Advertising!

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Poor Choice of Advertising!

Post by Bsuds »

Not naming names but I keep seeing an ad on TV for a new development in the Kelowna area. It shows young people on paddle boards and on boats with no one wearing PFD's. The same thing is shown on their website as well.

I think this is a very poor choice and give a wrong impression to younger people that see it.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Loki2u
Board Meister

Re: Poor Choice of Advertising!

Post by Loki2u »

Sheesh! Must be a slow day on castanet :135:
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your INFORMED opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant. -Harlan Ellison-
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Loki2u wrote:Sheesh! Must be a slow day on castanet :135:

It's a better topic than many that are started on here.
Loki2u
Board Meister

Post by Loki2u »

I won't disagree with that! [icon_lol2.gif]

To dive into this a bit more then...... you are aware that PFD's are required on board for every person, but that they aren't required to be worn?

Unless you use a manual inflatable PFD such as I wear while fishing. It must be worn if this is your only source of a PFD on a PWC.

So technically, according to this 'ad' which I'm not sure I've seen, they aren't necessarily breaking any rules assuming of course there are PFD's on board which I'm guessing aren't shown in the ad and can only be assumed to be there.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your INFORMED opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant. -Harlan Ellison-
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Sheesh - bubble wrap much?
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Loki2u wrote:I won't disagree with that! [icon_lol2.gif]

To dive into this a bit more then...... you are aware that PFD's are required on board for every person, but that they aren't required to be worn?

Unless you use a manual inflatable PFD such as I wear while fishing. It must be worn if this is your only source of a PFD on a PWC.

So technically, according to this 'ad' which I'm not sure I've seen, they aren't necessarily breaking any rules assuming of course there are PFD's on board which I'm guessing aren't shown in the ad and can only be assumed to be there.

Here is something you will never hear from the victims of drowning, shoulda.... coulda.... woulda
Drowning can happen surprisingly quickly
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
just popping in
Lord of the Board

Post by just popping in »

Bsuds wrote:Not naming names but I keep seeing an ad on TV for a new development in the Kelowna area. It shows young people on paddle boards and on boats with no one wearing PFD's. The same thing is shown on their website as well.

I think this is a very poor choice and give a wrong impression to younger people that see it.

I saw that ad and thought the same thing. Did you mention it to the company?
Loki2u
Board Meister

Post by Loki2u »

GordonH wrote:
Loki2u wrote:I won't disagree with that! [icon_lol2.gif]

Here is something you will never hear from the victims of drowning, shoulda.... coulda.... woulda
Drowning can happen surprisingly quickly

I hear ya- that's why I wear one as I mentioned.

I fish by myself 90% of the time and had a close call on a river where wearing my PFD saved my life. Since then I made a promise to myself and my loved ones that I would always wear one.

If you're in my boat you wear one. My rules. But I have no control over what other people do on their crafts nor do I really care. If laws aren't being broken, it's not my place to say anything unless I'm speaking for myself.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Loki2u wrote:

And what about children on a paddle board...no PFD's.?
Loki2u
Board Meister

Post by Loki2u »

Bsuds wrote:
Loki2u wrote:

And what about children on a paddle board...no PFD's.?

A PFD is required on a paddleboard, it's not required to be worn.

I'm not disagreeing with you that I don't think children should be on a paddleboard without wearing one, but it's not my decision to make unless I was their parent.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

If you go to their website and look at the ad there is no PFD available on the paddle boards. As well as the 2 boys are sitting on the back of a boat and not down in the seats but up on the back.

My point is that if you are going to show something like this on TV then it should be showing safety on the water and not dangerous activities. I know PFD's are only needed to be available on board but I also know how fast something can happen and underage people should be wearing them at all times. I always made my kids wear them.
Loki2u
Board Meister

Post by Loki2u »

Bsuds wrote:If you go to their website and look at the ad there is no PFD available on the paddle boards. As well as the 2 boys are sitting on the back of a boat and not down in the seats but up on the back.

My point is that if you are going to show something like this on TV then it should be showing safety on the water and not dangerous activities. I know PFD's are only needed to be available on board but I also know how fast something can happen and underage people should be wearing them at all times. I always made my kids wear them.

Yup, I hear ya!

However, if you're relying on television to be accurate, or a role model for kids......the best way to deal with both situations is probably to just turn the t.v OFF! :biggrin:
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by youjustcomplain »

Loki2u wrote:
Bsuds wrote:If you go to their website and look at the ad there is no PFD available on the paddle boards. As well as the 2 boys are sitting on the back of a boat and not down in the seats but up on the back.

Yup, I hear ya!

However, if you're relying on television to be accurate, or a role model for kids......the best way to deal with both situations is probably to just turn the t.v OFF! :biggrin:

I don't think anyone is suggesting we leave the TV to be the role model for kids. We don't get the pick their role models.
This is the same as watching parents on a bike ride with their kids. The kids have helmets on but the adults don't. What message does it send? My kids would call me out immediately if I ever tried that. I suspect those kids will wear their helmets when told, but as soon as they're old enough to not have to bike with their parents, the helmets come off.

Boating without a life jacket is not a good plan. Same with paddle boarding. (I'd really prefer to not wear one myself). I've been to too many drownings where a life jacket would have made the difference. And yet, society continues to make excuses as to why people shouldn't need to wear one.
Loki2u
Board Meister

Post by Loki2u »

Bsuds wrote:Not naming names but I keep seeing an ad on TV for a new development in the Kelowna area. It shows young people on paddle boards and on boats with no one wearing PFD's. The same thing is shown on their website as well.

Just saw the ad that you are talking about on tv! It's ironic because that's where I live! :biggrin:

And yes, no PFD's on the paddleboards. Tsk Tsk!

Return to “Social Concerns”